What are you playing now?

Gorth

Started playing Red Dead Redemption. So far it is not bad, but I am having huge problems with figuring out who is friend and who is not. I'll see some dudes fighting, I run up to them, shoot and then there is -50 reputation. Oh well.

One of those games eh? Can you run up to them and talk to them first, or does that have the opposite issue of running up to say hi and they shoot you dead? :)

If you ride right past they won't say a word. They'll just keep shooting at each other. It's just if you decided to run in and figure out who's supposed to be the "good" guys, one of the sides will be dead right quick.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm currently playing Arcanum simply to get ideas for the PnP I'm GMing sunday. I really hate the combat system but the setting is easily one of the best I have ever seen.

I'm also torn between starting a Planescape or trying out BGEE.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Started playing Red Dead Redemption. So far it is not bad, but I am having huge problems with figuring out who is friend and who is not. I'll see some dudes fighting, I run up to them, shoot and then there is -50 reputation. Oh well.

One of those games eh? Can you run up to them and talk to them first, or does that have the opposite issue of running up to say hi and they shoot you dead? :)

So far I was just running through the area when I suddenly heard some "Hey! Help me!" or something, then I try to rotate my horse and stuff is shooting, so I am shooting too, and then all are dead.

/Edit: Yeah, like Calax wrote. :>

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'm currently playing Arcanum simply to get ideas for the PnP I'm GMing sunday. I really hate the combat system but the setting is easily one of the best I have ever seen.

I'm also torn between starting a Planescape or trying out BGEE.

If you're going for the same vibe, simply grab some Victorian novels and check them out. Arcanum is at its best when it mixes fantasy and industrial revolution and apes the time's beliefs, social structure, etc.

When it goes just all high fantasy (end of the game) it gets fairly boring and kinda crude in terms of writing.

Just tried Planetside 2, mediocrity is too strong a word.

I could describe the game with many words between buggy crap and fun as hell, but I'm not sure would mediocrity be one. The game has it's problems, sure, but I for one tend to forget them when armies of 100+ people clash.

I've been going back to Valkyrie Profile on PSP. I'm now on chapter 3, clearing out all dungeons. This means clearing out all Caves of Oblivion, wich can be a pain in the ***.

The PSP in-game movies are very bad compared to the original. I hate the Final fantasy touch Squeenix added. It looks terrible (at least they left the music alone).

Original had classy 90s anime style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-JJXbF7cXc

They're not as good, I agree. There are also new voices for some characters. I don't mind, because the game is still good.

I finished Dishonored last night, the (chaotic) ending was very short and barely satisfied but at least it wasn't totally awful, taken as a whole the game is a lot of fun and I'll definitely be replaying it. I also noticed Primordia was available and pulled the trigger on it, I'm only a couple of hours into the game but it feels like the most genuine 90's point and click tribute so far, you could argue they went too far with the authenticity but the pixel hunting and occasionally obtuse puzzles do add to the experience, the plot and setting is decent too, very Beneath a Steel Sky.

Edited by WDeranged

Also that PS3 thingy is damn huge. I always thought consoles are small and handy, but this thing is like a house. A little bit bigger and one could live inside of it. Seriously, with that size, a normal pc doesn't seem that unreasonable anymore- also while looking at the prices of a recent console.

PC master race just can't be conquered with that.

The situation Lexx is describing is one of the chance encounters you witness while traveling. You usually have enough time to look at them and decide who to attack ( especially once you meet all the bandit groups and remember what they wear, and the friend is usually outnumbered :grin:, lawmen wear metal stars,... ). In other events you can usually distingiush very easily who the friendly people are.( Since they're not trying to rob or kill you :D). In main story missions you don't have problems either. You can't do friendly fire anyway and if you do let someone important die you fail and have to start again or from the checkpoint.

And Lexx you can rob the train too among many other things, just so you know. :grin:

1.13 killed off Ja2.

A lot of games seem to like to use the "swarm" tactic for making combat challenging. Typically, the game will go to a cut scene, then suddenly you're surrounded by enemies with no chance to actually strategize to make sure you're not being flanked, or that your weaker party members (usually mage) is protected.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Also that PS3 thingy is damn huge. I always thought consoles are small and handy, but this thing is like a house. A little bit bigger and one could live inside of it. Seriously, with that size, a normal pc doesn't seem that unreasonable anymore- also while looking at the prices of a recent console.

I take it you have bought one of the older "fat" versions cheap just so you could play RDR, eh?

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Yes, it is a fat version. Didn't thought the difference would be that... big. And yeah, didn't wanted to spend too much money on it. RDR isn't the only game I want to play on it, but it was the main reason for me to buy a ps3 right now. I've also bought the HD collection of MGS2, MGS3 and Peace Walker.

On a different note, I really like that wireless controller thingy. I mean, I am really bad in using a controller, but being able to walk through the whole room and still being able to play the game is... interesting. I can sit on the couch and play or I can walk to my desk and play from there. Not bad. Feels totally different than my old GameCube with cables and all that fuzz. Heh, I am always trying to hold the controller in a way so I won't pull the cables too much, until I notice that there isn't any cable at all.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On a different note, I really like that wireless controller thingy. I mean, I am really bad in using a controller, but being able to walk through the whole room and still being able to play the game is... interesting. I can sit on the couch and play or I can walk to my desk and play from there. Not bad. Feels totally different than my old GameCube with cables and all that fuzz. Heh, I am always trying to hold the controller in a way so I won't pull the cables too much, until I notice that there isn't any cable at all.

What's even better, is that you can simply connect the controller with a USB to the PS3 and let it recharge, no need for batteries or extra peripherals.

Also, put these games on your 'to play list' too(some console exclusives that are worth mentioning):

The Darkness

Dragon's Dogma

Little Big Planet 2(endless user generated levels that are sometimes even better compared to the levels in the main campaign)

Shadows of the Damned

No More Heroes: Heroes Paradaise

Deadly Premonition: Directors Cut(if you like twin peaks, there is simply no way you can let this slip by)

Catherine

Outland

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Demon's Souls

Battlefield: Bad Company(The original BC, it has an awesome main campaign and it should be dirt cheap by now)

That's about it for now :)

Deadly Premonition and No More Heroes have awful controls and PS2 like graphics, but the characters and the story in both games are simply amazing.

Edited by Astiaks

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Haha! Take that, Isabela! Didn't see it coming where I'd turn you over to the Qunari, did you?

Mike Hawke - 1

Isabela the betraying tramp - 0

"Isabela the betraying tramp"

Sacrilegious !!! How dare you. Isabela, oh Isabela. She is pure and beautiful and noble and brave and kind and thoughtful.

She also looks great in those skin tight Pirate outfits. I made sure she always got her way in the party. I always use to imagine having to choose while on adventures being stuck for years on a ship with a choice of either a qunari or Isabela. Isabela won hands down :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Haha! Take that, Isabela! Didn't see it coming where I'd turn you over to the Qunari, did you?

Mike Hawke - 1

I couldn't bring myself to do this, since I was romancing her at the time, but I can also understand wanting to.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

I like Isabela too, but pure just doesn't seem like the right adjective >.>

Poetic license Alan, poetic license

:)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Mike Hawke - 1

I couldn't bring myself to do this, since I was romancing her at the time, but I can also understand wanting to.

Her betraying me when we were in the Fade during Feynriel's quest sealed her fate. We'd just had sex and she was just about maxed out friendship with me, yet she still give in to the demon all over the promise of a boat.

I never forget. :shifty:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

A lot of games seem to like to use the "swarm" tactic for making combat challenging. Typically, the game will go to a cut scene, then suddenly you're surrounded by enemies with no chance to actually strategize to make sure you're not being flanked, or that your weaker party members (usually mage) is protected.

That's part of what ruins Guild Wars 2 personal story missions.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Mike Hawke - 1

Her betraying me when we were in the Fade during Feynriel's quest sealed her fate. We'd just had sex and she was just about maxed out friendship with me, yet she still give in to the demon all over the promise of a boat.

I never forget. :shifty:

But she did apologize and seemed sincere?

We all make mistakes

John Milton 

But she like Anders doesn't deserve anything but slow dismemberment, Fenris gets a sword through his gut and Merryl a burning at a stake. Only after all that there might be some thoughts of forgiveness or something. :skull:

1.13 killed off Ja2.