What are you playing now?

Gorth

Start of old thread

End of old thread

After giving up on Freedom Force because it got ridiculously hard at the end and caused my best save to crash 2 seconds after loading each time, and after beating the rather average but still solid Half-Life 2: Episode 1 in 2 sittings, I'm now playing Void

Okay, so I gather paint plants to put them in my heart so I can metabolize them into other type of paint that I use for spellcasting and bribing these "Sisters" into showing some skin. Then I get new hearts to contain paint in, preparing for the eventual clash with "Brothers" who guard sisters but hate these sisters and worship color, and whenever I use color I damage the world but I need to do that to progress in game, and-

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu- ?

Interesting game The Void. I really need to complete it some day :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I managed to even out Dishonored's mouse response a bit with a few .ini edits, it's much improved but I still feel a bit floaty, switching to the pad feels smooth and responsive but you lose precision, ah well, at least I'm really enjoying the world of the game :)

Edited by WDeranged

Decided to order Halo 4 for Cyber Monday, since it's only $39.99 right now (regularly $59.99). I guess that will be my next game whenever it arrives.

I also ordered Resident Evil 6 at a discount. I know some of the reviews were bad, but I'm a Resident Evil fan and, damn it, I enjoyed RE5 even when reviews said it wasn't "Resident Evil".

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Dota 2 is pretty much the only game I play nowadays. Such a fantastic remake of Warcraft 3's best custom game. Feels just the same, only with a better matchmaking system, prettier graphics and a much better interface.

(PM me if you want the game for free btw. Got 2 invites to give out).

I mentioned earlier that I started playing Sleeping Dogs. But there is a story about this.

I installed it on Saturday and noticed it wouldn't load, I am comfortable with getting any PC game to work, through editing ini.files or updating relevant driver versions if required, so I wasn't worried. I looked at the box and read a sobering pre-requisite, "Vista and Windows 7 only"

Now my gaming machine was on XP which never let me down, but I now realized hat I needed to upgrade. So I did, and I am now on the vastly improved Windows 7 64 bit Home Edition Premium. It rocks, I then started playing Sleeping Dogs and was confronted by some annoying gaming features. You cannot bind the arrow keys to movement. I only use the arrow keys in my games for movement. I am exasperated by the fact that in this modern age of gaming Square Enix can have such oversight as to not think this would be an issue for some people. So I am trying utilize other keys for movement but it takes time. I am also considering getting a Controller for games like this? What are peoples opinions around Controllers and would it solve my keyboard issue in games like Sleeping Dogs

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I mentioned earlier that I started playing Sleeping Dogs. But there is a story about this.

I installed it on Saturday and noticed it wouldn't load, I am comfortable with getting any PC game to work, through editing ini.files or updating relevant driver versions if required, so I wasn't worried. I looked at the box and read a sobering pre-requisite, "Vista and Windows 7 only"

Now my gaming machine was on XP which never let me down, but I now realized hat I needed to upgrade. So I did, and I am now on the vastly improved Windows 7 64 bit Home Edition Premium. It rocks, I then started playing Sleeping Dogs and was confronted by some annoying gaming features. You cannot bind the arrow keys to movement. I only use the arrow keys in my games for movement. I am exasperated by the fact that in this modern age of gaming Square Enix can have such oversight as to not think this would be an issue for some people. So I am trying utilize other keys for movement but it takes time. I am also considering get a Controller for games like this? What are peoples opinions around Controllers and would it solve my keyboard issue in games like Sleeping Dogs

After the terrible FF8 port all I have to say is "Wow! Square figured out PC games need a Quit Game option!"

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I'm a 'WASD' fan myself so I'm not sure what to yell you. :/

Yeah most people are. But on the Sleeping Dog forums I read many complaints about the fact you can't easily bind arrow keys. For example this seems to impact left handed people most. And you have no idea how hard it is to get use to new movement keys :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Aaargh! I have to catch up!

Oh and pertinent to the discussion so this can slip through the spam rules ;) :

Know a couple of left handed gamers. It was especially wierd when we were kids and they had to cross their hands in wierd ways to use a joystick.

Also: when on a motorcycle in Sleeping Dogs and you stop at a red traffic light. How do you look up to see when the traffic light changes to green?

post-44839-0-48012200-1353997741_thumb.jpg

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Aaargh! I have to catch up!

Also: when on a motorcycle in Sleeping Dogs and you stop at a red traffic light. How do you look up to see when the traffic light changes to green?

I hope someone can answer this as I haven't got to that part of the game yet. Melk do you use a Controller to play this game?

John Milton 

I am a WASD+Mouse person. I resist controllers as much as I can.

I am a proud PC gamer and feel that companies who wish to cater to certain audiences (and get their money) should make the extra effort to then adapt their product to those audiences.

If there was a PC-Pride Parade I'd be there marching in it :p

I gave up on Sleeping Dogs when I couldn't figure out how to look up and then, when I finally reached the place I needed to be, had to endure a (for me) horrible QTE trying to break away from cops trying to cuff me. Some games are just not made to be enjoyed by some people. Fair enough, i can live with that. Besides, I still need to manage to beat most scenarios in Fate of the World, finish the Anno 2070 campaign, finish the Frozen Synapse campaign...

• Like 1

I don't know anything about Sleeping Dogs, but if using something other than the arrow keys is too much to get used to and the game can be played with a controller I'd suggest trying it. Whether or not it will solve the issue for you is up in the air, however. If you're not used to a controller, they take time to get used to vs. KB/mouse. Not sure if that would be better than just getting used to using something else on the KB instead.

I'd also guess the controllers themselves are lightly catered to right-handed folk as well, with the way the action buttons are arranged (main 4 buttons for stuff like "jump" or "run" or "reload" on the R side of the controller). Not being left-handed, I have no idea if this would be as bothersome on a controller vs. a keyboard.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If you're not used to a controller, they take time to get used to vs. KB/mouse. Not sure if that would be better than just getting used to using something else on the KB instead.

I guess for a new keyboard setup you'd have to overcome muscle memory while with a controller you'd have to create new muscle memory.

In one instance the body wants to instinctively do something else, in the other the body is clueles as to what to do.

Edited by melkathi

In one instance the body wants to instinctively do something else, in the other the body is clueles as to what to do.

The latter sounds a bit like when I'm trying to talk my body into getting out of bed in the morning, especially towards the end of the week :)

Sat in front of my computer yesterday and stared blankly at the screen. Got a bunch of new Steam and Gamersgate acquisitions that need some love and attention.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Been having a good time with the Jedi Knight story in TOR. You can tell this was one of their primary story arcs, it blends well with all the other things happening on the planets.

I really enjoyed that one too. The Imperial Agent is also pretty well done IMO.

I spent most of the weekend playing The Walking Dead and Victoria II after snagging them in the Steam sale. It has been a long time since a game manipulated my emotions like TWD has.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I am a WASD+Mouse person. I resist controllers as much as I can.

I am a proud PC gamer and feel that companies who wish to cater to certain audiences (and get their money) should make the extra effort to then adapt their product to those audiences.

If there was a PC-Pride Parade I'd be there marching in it :p

I agree 100 %, I am doggedly a PC person.

I would have never bought this game if I known about the arrow keys, I am just trying to get it to work as I hate wasting money :)

In all my years of gaming there was only one game I gave up on due to functionality and that was Rage, and all its issues with the ATI video cards

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

I don't know anything about Sleeping Dogs, but if using something other than the arrow keys is too much to get used to and the game can be played with a controller I'd suggest trying it. Whether or not it will solve the issue for you is up in the air, however. If you're not used to a controller, they take time to get used to vs. KB/mouse. Not sure if that would be better than just getting used to using something else on the KB instead.

I'd also guess the controllers themselves are lightly catered to right-handed folk as well, with the way the action buttons are arranged (main 4 buttons for stuff like "jump" or "run" or "reload" on the R side of the controller). Not being left-handed, I have no idea if this would be as bothersome on a controller vs. a keyboard.

Okay thanks for the input, I am consideriing this as option for this game and others like Dark Souls where a controller is recommended

John Milton 

Jedi didn't capture my attention early on. I loved the first chapter of the smuggler arc and am loving Imperial Agent. Though I only have gotten to the part you get your ship. The smuggler arc seriously disappointed me later on by not being able to make me care about the villain. Act 3 picked back up, but it just wasn't the same anymore. Now I am a bit worried about the Agent arc :)

Worst part about any story that isnt female smuggler? They aren't voiced by Kathy Soucie.

Jedi didn't capture my attention early on. I loved the first chapter of the smuggler arc and am loving Imperial Agent. Though I only have gotten to the part you get your ship. The smuggler arc seriously disappointed me later on by not being able to make me care about the villain. Act 3 picked back up, but it just wasn't the same anymore. Now I am a bit worried about the Agent arc :)

Worst part about any story that isnt female smuggler? They aren't voiced by Kathy Soucie.

Jedi Knight starts out really weak imho, with very "petty" dark side choices (and the light side wasn't much better) gave up on that pretty quickly. Inquisitor was good fun though, the amount of stupid evil wasn't even that excessive. Agent starts out strong but I've heard complaints about the later parts.

As for myself, managed to finally pick up NV again and finished Old World Blues. Them scorpions, I still don't have a proper tactic for them (unless spamming stimpacks and abusing the AI getting stuck counts as a "tactic"), they don't seem to have a really weak spot that I can hit reliably and there's only so many pulse grenades I had access to...

Jedi Knight starts out really weak imho, with very "petty" dark side choices (and the light side wasn't much better) gave up on that pretty quickly. Inquisitor was good fun though, the amount of stupid evil wasn't even that excessive. Agent starts out strong but I've heard complaints about the later parts.

Eat them both, Khem.

My Sith'lek assassin looks like the evil twin sister of the jedi in Black Talon. Has made every group I have run that flashpoint with laugh ;)

Edited by melkathi

Okay thanks for the input, I am consideriing this as option for this game and others like Dark Souls where a controller is recommended

Yeah, I've thought about Dark Souls, but the controller being the best option for it kind of puts me off. I'd have to play in the living room on the big TV, using hubby's less stellar rig there (or buy another pc-xbox controller for in here) and I really don't want to do that. I'm pretty die-hard KB/mouse myself, as well. :)

Borderlands is the only game I've tried where I didn't mind the controller/could play the game with it regularly, bouncing back and forth. New Vegas, Overlord, and the couple others I've tried drove me nuts with a controller. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Borderlands is the only game I've tried where I didn't mind the controller/could play the game with it regularly, bouncing back and forth. New Vegas, Overlord, and the couple others I've tried drove me nuts with a controller. :p

Did you play Overlord 2?

All my friends who don't own a controller quit at the spot. So did I. Circling those spider riding minions up that wall drove me nuts. I ehar though its managable with a 'troller.