Movies You've Seen Recently

LadyCrimson

Star Trek: Search for Spock.

I don't care how many new rebooted ST movies they make, they'll never recapture that ultimate bromance of the original Kirk and Spock. ;(

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't care how many new rebooted ST movies they make, they'll never recapture that ultimate bromance of the original Kirk and Spock. ;(

SyFy channel? We have a cook out every year on the 22 so I watched that with the whole family today, people wondering if Shattner killed his wife and so on.

Cowboys.com is now a gay dating site…GreenBayPackers.com is something we shall never discuss again…EVER.

Shakespeare said: Play to those who get it. Don’t dumb it down “to split the ears of the groundlings.”

Groundlings: The lowest common denominator.

SyFy channel? We have a cook out every year on the 22 so I watched that with the whole family today, people wondering if Shattner killed his wife and so on.

I did catch the marathon.

Also I don't know what you mean, Pine and Quinto have twice the sexual tension that Nimoy and Shatner had.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Watched Premium Rush. I liked it. The biking stunts were often silly of course, but entertaining film. Had a couple "slow" spots but they were brief. I wasn't expecting so much humor, either. Or at least, I found certain parts of it really funny.

SyFy channel?

I started watching it there, yeah, but then switched to my DVD instead. I have all of the ST:OS films in a box set. Heh.

Also I don't know what you mean, Pine and Quinto have twice the sexual tension that Nimoy and Shatner had.

I didn't realize bromance had to have sexual tension. :disguise:

I just mean their friendship. Nimoy's Spock being more "Vulcan" made his understated emotional bits with Kirk more resonant. Rebooted Spock is far too emotional/angry, even when trying to be logical. You can read it on his face all the time. "Stone faced" Quinto is not.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I thought he did a good job even though his stone face came off more of a deadpan delivery.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Quinto's all right. He looks the part anyway. I just don't like how much they changed Spock's behavior/style from original cannon. He seems more repressed psychotic now. And I bet he'll have fun explaining Pon Farr to Uhura. :p

Yeah, Pine's kind of generic. I do appreciate that he didn't try to actually mimic Shatner, however. That wouldn't have worked too well, most likely. McCoy was good, I thought he was the best of the group. Scotty...he was humorous, but didn't really make me think "Scotty." Anyway, they're all fine for a new reboot/new generation and I'm sure they'll grow/get better with more movies.

They're just not ... y'know ... the characters I grew up with and loved. It's not really Star Trek. It's just a fairly good sci-fi/fantasy movie that occasionally resembles it. :p

Watching Rocky Horror Picture Show (25th anniversary edition) for the umpteenth time. Some things are just timeless.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Stan and Kyle is the greatest bromance ever (so far).

Watching Rocky Horror Picture Show (25th anniversary edition) for the umpteenth time. Some things are just timeless.

It has

that is all that matters.

Cowboys.com is now a gay dating site…GreenBayPackers.com is something we shall never discuss again…EVER.

Shakespeare said: Play to those who get it. Don’t dumb it down “to split the ears of the groundlings.”

Groundlings: The lowest common denominator.

I'm biased.

Guess I'd see it so I can bitch about it; I'm that kind of ****. Or so you can see what the fuss is about and talk to your co-workers about it.

Don't go see it alone though, just in case it bores the **** out of you like it did for me. That way you can go for dinner or something after. Try to bring kids. (I hate kids in the cinema but this is the kind of movie you'd bring them. If you don't mind beheadings...)

Should I go see The Hobbit or is it basically a children's movie. Harry potterish and boring like everyone says.

it's very engaging, but a little low-brow.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Should I go see The Hobbit or is it basically a children's movie. Harry potterish and boring like everyone says.

For most of the running time it can't seem to decide whether it wants to be faithful to the tone of the book (child friendly) or to the tone of the Lord of the Rings movies (epic). I felt it succeeded at both in equal measure, which isn't to say it did it perfectly. The film had a lot of flaws but I enjoyed it a lot. I never noticed the running time - it had a slow beginning but after that time seemed to fly. Not sure what else to tell you, I'd comment on "Harry Potterish" if it wasn't for the fact that every Harry Potter movie had a completely different feel. Now that series is disjointed.

I saw it twice, 24f 3D and 48f 3D. I barely even noticed the difference - I had to check if it was actually the HFR showing. I noticed clearer picture and nothing else. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 1

Watched The Raid. Pretty violent - see a kid take a rifle round through the neck in the first 20 minutes, but is a nice action flick.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I watched video game highschool.

It was both atrociously bad

and incredibly good.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Finally got around to seeing Dark Knight Rises. A couple things bugged me(Bruce abandoning the mission, Alfred leaving), but overall a really good movie. Avengers is still my top superhero flick of the year though.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Finally got around to seeing Dark Knight Rises. A couple things bugged me(Bruce abandoning the mission, Alfred leaving), but overall a really good movie. Avengers is still my top superhero flick of the year though.

They made an interesting trilogy of Batman films, but the thing that did disapoint was that at no point did they explore the element of the Dark Knight as a world class detective.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I hope future films actually feature the Batcave. After waiting for for the 3rd film to finally see it only for it to just be the cave from the first one with a rising platform and a computer desk was kinda disappointing.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I saw The Hobbit.

It sucked.

A) Three hours of bad CGI and poorly choreographed fight-scenes that had no reason to exist other than to fill time.

B) Thirteen or something dwarves with rhyming names that are identical other than the name. Who thought this would work in a movie?

C) Gollum, what a horrible waste of time that was. And people like this? No wonder I'm bitter!

D) Sock'em, Rock'em Golems. Are you seriously?

E) Endless repetition. Gandalf saves the day. And again. And again.

If my ticket hadn't been free and hadn't come with an excellent dinner I'd have written off the night as a complete waste of time.

f) Not a single dwarf can read old dwarven?

g) Radagast more like wastingmytimegast

h) Pointless witch-king tie-in

i) Uninspired music

j) 48 frames is eye-torture, boycott

A) Do not agree. Liked the CGI (even if it was a bit too much at times) but I definitely enjoyed the action scenes, even though I'm not a huge action fan.

B) Yes, as it was in the book. Do. Not. Change. Names. From. Books.

C) W-what? The riddles were one of the most amazing parts of the film. Cleverly written and terrifically acted.

D) Debatable, yes, but it added to the feeling of being a small company against the world

E) Of course it's a bit cliché, but The Hobbit was written in 1933(?) and kind of created those clichés.

F) I, for one, cannot read old germanic and I personally know no-one who does. The dwarves are not scholars or fierce warriors

G) True, but it was a nice touch. A glimpse into the world. Much like Tom Bombadil would've been.

H) Pointless in what respect? Jackson said the new trilogy was supposed to connect the stories of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, so there had to be signs of the coming doom. The witch king was one of the signs.

I) Download the CD and listen to it more closely. It's extremely playful, re-uses old themes that immediately set the mood and so on. I loved it.

J) It's a bit too much sometimes, that's true.

The only part I kind of disliked was the whole Azog thing. I thought that orc was kind of displaced and one-dimensional, and the bits with him involved didn't feel very tolkien-ish.

Elan_song.gif

Got the Doctor Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog on bluray for christmas so I sat down and went through it and the special features.

I have to say, "Commentary - The Musical!" is genius.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."