Movies You've Seen Recently

LadyCrimson

Sixth Sense and Unbreakable had good storylines and a reason for the twists that tied back into everything in the movie.

The rest seem to have just been.. slightly surreal and with a twist or two put in just because it's a Shymalan movie and they have to have twists to "surprise" the audience.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Sixth Sense and Unbreakable had good storylines and a reason for the twists that tied back into everything in the movie.

The rest seem to have just been.. slightly surreal and with a twist or two put in just because it's a Shymalan movie and they have to have twists to "surprise" the audience.

Yeah, but Unbreakable was along time ago. He's had a lot of duds since then. I was even ok with Lady in the Water and that one with the blind girl in the forest, but The Happening was one of the worst films I've seen in a long time, and it was pretty clearly the fault of the director.

Will Smith is a very good actor that has grown tremendously since The Fresh Prince. Ali and The Pursuit of Happiness are fantastic examples of his work. His son is pretty young to make any real judgement, but the Karate Kid reboot was a pretty entertaining flick.

Edited by Hurlshot

I think that Superman trailer looks epic. But then again, I thought the same thing for the trailers for Superman Returns.

Even watching that trailer for the Smith flick scares me. It`s just the way that Shymalan presents his dialogue. It puts me off.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

After Earth: I am reminded of the ST:OS episode "Shore Leave". It's all that "fear/thought becomes reality" stuff -and a tiger! :lol: I like Will Smith, even in the "bad" movies. His son, so far, I have not liked at all. But the son is growing older all the time ... he could easily improve. Still, between M. Night, Will, and his son, this sorta screams "vanity project." We'll see. Btw, from the wiki description of the movie, I have a feeling Will's part is not the main focus.

I'm surprised M. Night is still working, to be honest. Every movie he makes is worse than the last...tho I guess Airbender at least made a goodly bit of money, even if it was panned.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Please don’t give me flash backs to that awful movie. The Airbender movie was one of the few movies worse than the Dragon Ball movie.

Edit: What was the thinking behind that movie? “Hey I have an idea lets shove hours of a good cartoon show into an hour and a half movie.” Nothing could go wrong there, nope…

Edited by Cariannis

Cowboys.com is now a gay dating site…GreenBayPackers.com is something we shall never discuss again…EVER.

Shakespeare said: Play to those who get it. Don’t dumb it down “to split the ears of the groundlings.”

Groundlings: The lowest common denominator.

Ugh, Airbender was a travesty. Especially because the cartoon is pretty entertaining, and it looked like it was going to at least be cool visually. After Earth looks like it might be another pretty but vapid entry. Hopefully Will Smith can carry it or something, although it looks like he's sitting in the spaceship the whole time.

I’m watching Paranormal Activity 3 sadly I’ve never seen 1 or 2.

its been so long. At least since that WOW commercial…

Cowboys.com is now a gay dating site…GreenBayPackers.com is something we shall never discuss again…EVER.

Shakespeare said: Play to those who get it. Don’t dumb it down “to split the ears of the groundlings.”

With modern Hollywood? There are just certain movies/shows those people shouldn’t touch. I’ve heard that the script for the remake of Highlander had the immortals using guns and bombs on each other. They also made Conner into a pacifist college school teacher.

Edited by Cariannis

I’ve heard that the script for the remake of Highlander had the immortals using guns and bombs on each other.

Seriously? Bwhahahaha..... :getlost:

I'm still waiting for a Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller remake, in Hollywood's constant effort to attract what it thinks are timely, built-in audiences.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Hobbit.

Barely noticed it was running in 48 fps, so don't really see what all the negative fuzz is about.

There were some dissapointments, but overall I enjoyed the movie, and looking forward to the next one. Liked the inclusion of other stuff Tolkien has written about, one flashback in particular was amazing.

Edited by Thingolfin

I did find the Ferris Bueller CR-V commercial pretty hilarious.

The ad was very funny. An ad is very different from a movie, tho. ;)

The Hobbit.

Barely noticed it was running in 48 fps, so don't really see what all the negative fuzz is about.

Did you see it in 3D? Or in IMAX? I have a feeling the latter might make a difference in terms of the negative buzz on that. I doubt seeing it in my local Century theater in non-3D is going to feel very different. A little more clarity in motion sequences perhaps.

Here's what James Berardinelli says about the format:

Visually, The Hobbit is being released in four different flavors: digital 2-D, 3-D at 24 frames-per-second (fps), 3-D at 48 fps, and 3-D IMAX. Having seen it in the 48 fps version, I have a few comments. First, neither the doubled frame rate nor the 3-D adds much to the overall experience. Both are superfluous. The 3-D does not create a richer environment, although neither does it corrupt the experience. The 48 fps is less noticeable than I expected. There are scenes when it causes the images to be crisper and brighter but, especially in instances of high CGI content, it creates a non-cinematic picture. That may be the primary reason why isolated moments feel like video game outtakes. My advice: avoid all the visual flourishes and see this in good, old-fashioned 2-D. The Lord of the Rings didn't need 48 fps or 3-D and there's no conceivable reason why The Hobbit should. It's certainly not better because of it.

I don’t go see 3D movies. Having to put the 3D glasses over my own glasses feels awkward and annoying.

Contact lenses are nice for situations like that. ;) That said, I tried the new 3D with Avatar. I wasn't impressed and haven't bothered since.

For some reason I thought Hobbit was going to be 48fps no matter what, but based on Berardinelli's quote, I guess not. So I guess I won't be seeing it in 48fps then. No loss.

I did find the Ferris Bueller CR-V commercial pretty hilarious.

Yes, I caught that on youtube but edited apart from the advert side of it and it got me all "What, there's a sequel???" before I found out it was a superbowl advert and then I was all sad-faced.

Between this thread and Tarantino's comments, I am now watching Unbreakable.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Title for a couple Hobbit reviews: "The Hobbit: a ponderous journey" ... "The Hobbit: a long, unremarkable journey." ... :lol:

....this isn't me laughing at or judging the film itself - (there's plenty of glowing reviews for it too). It just amuses me when reviewers twist a title to reflect their opinion. Some titles are easier to do that with than others... don't know when I'll get to see it. Maybe next week.

I saw The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in HFR (48 fps) 3D yesterday and it was an amazing experience. First off, the movie itself is great -- visually it is completely consistent with The Lord of the Rings as it re-visits familiar locations and introduces plenty new ones that fit right into Peter Jackson's original vision of Middle-Earth. And the same goes for the characters -- Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchett and other familiar faces seem to slip right back into the skins of their characters as if a decade gone by is nothing, and new characters don't feel out of place but allow us to see and explore this world and its stories in new and interesting ways. Radagast the Brown, Thorin Oakenshield and Balin in particular became instant favorites.

The simpler story allows for much better pacing and this is a major advantage -- where TLotR often felt like PJ needed every single second of running time to fit in all the different elements of the story, here it feels like they had time to spare and used it masterfully to give each act the attention it deserves as well as expand upon the story. There is no doubt in my mind now that the decision to turn this into a trilogy was the right one -- the core story of the book might be a simple and short one, but it touches on many historic events and interesting characters that deserve to be explored (and were explored by Tolkien himself in The Lord of the Rings and its appendixes as well as works like Unfinished Tales and The Silmarillion).

As for the technical side of the experience, this was by far -- by far -- the best 3D movie-going experience I have ever had. Where 3D worked "nicely" with some other movies (Avatar, Prometheus) I never felt like the experience would be much different without it and didn't worry about not having the 3D element when I'd eventually watch those movies at home on Blu-ray. The combination of HFR and 3D however, is something else... Yes, it took some time to get used to the higher frame rate (about 15-20 minutes for me) but the amount of detail and the clarity it brings to the images is breathtaking. It was like looking into Middle-Earth through a window. I loved it and I am glad Jackson had the guts to take this risk. This will change cinema in a major way in years to come.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

Well, can't go wrong with Big Robot Action.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Heh, and you know they released that picture of Star Trek with Cumberbatch in the brig and the name "John Harrison"?

John Harrison is the nom de plume given to Star Trek actor Ron Veto, who played many an unnamed extra in the show’s first season. Literally, he’s a redshirt — although you can also catch him in blue and gold — and the name wasn’t particularly associated with the actor.

Who’s that nurse holding Sulu down? John Harrison. Who’s that technician on the bridge? Oh, that’s John Harrison. Who’s that security officer? Why, that’s Lieutenant John Harrison. When the script or show needed to name a random crewman walking down the hall? John Harrison.

While there was definitely a “role” to play, there was no character there.

John-Harrison-Star-Trek.jpg

Hi. I’m John Harrison. Today, anyway.