Movies You've Seen Recently

LadyCrimson

While I love the use of a Prince .gif, I don't get the Tom Cruise dig. He may be a complete nutjob in real life, but I can't think of a bad movie he has ever done.

Think harder, then.

Rock of Ages

Knight and Day

Mission: Impossible III

The Last Samurai

Far and Away

****tail

I hear Jack Reacher is rubbish too.

I never saw Rock of Ages, but every other movie on that list was an enjoyable watch for me. You are going to have to try harder if you want to show that any of those are bad movies.

Also, putting The Last Samurai on your list is insane. That is a fantastic movie.

I remember Rock of Ages was criticized heavily, but I also remember reading his performance was the only decent part of the movie. I'm not a big musical fan regardless.

Edit: Also, when you checked out his page on IMDB, was it hard to ignore the dozens of other incredible films he has done? They stretch all the way back to the 80's. Think harder indeed.

edit 2 : Jack Reacher hasn't come out yet.

Edited by Hurlshot

I watched the Downey-Law SHERLOCK HOLMES for the first time since the theater. Enjoyed it - particularly knowing how to interpret the clues and being able to watch the movie put the mystery together.

RE: Tom Cruise, I can't say he's an actor I've ever been fond of but conversely he's not one I hate either. But dudes been in something like 35 films and I've seen like 7; for the most part he just makes movies I've no interest in seeing.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Bad Tom Cruise movie: Legend. Sorry, I don't care if it's "lyrical and dreamy", it's horrible. Then-bf dragged me to it because he loved Tangerine Dream, who did the soundtrack. The soundtrack was ok, but I would have walked out of the movie if the bf hadn't wanted to sit through it all. :getlost:Vanilla Sky is also quite terrible, imo. I personally have no love for Top Gun or Days of Thunder, either. As an actor, Cruise has matured a bit over the years. Not as much as others from his era, but some.

Knight and Day was occasionally kinda cute - Cruise's performance was the least of its problems (Ditzy Diaz was the biggest problem...). The Last Samurai was an entertaining film, once you get past the conceit of Cruise being a star samurai. :disguise: With the unreleased Jack Reacher, so far it's just fanbois whining that Cruise isn't "tall enough" to play the character.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

While I love the use of a Prince .gif, I don't get the Tom Cruise dig. He may be a complete nutjob in real life, but I can't think of a bad movie he has ever done.

Think harder, then.

Rock of Ages

Knight and Day

Mission: Impossible III

The Last Samurai

Far and Away

****tail

I hear Jack Reacher is rubbish too.

While I agree that Tom Cruise has made a lot of rubbish films, The Last Samurai? Really? I thought that was a pretty good movie despite it's "white man gone native" conceit. Hell, if anything Ken Watanabe alone made that movie worth watching.

I'd also put MI and MI:II on the list before MI:III because while it was predictable and dumb at least it was entertaining which is more then I can say about those first two pieces of pure bore. Haven't seen the fourth, but I'm sure that one's good. Brad Bird directed it, after all.

Hell, if anything Ken Watanabe alone made that movie worth watching.

:wub:

In other movie news, I re-watched the first (extended) LoTR movie yesterday, since it had been a while. It's interesting how certain movies, no matter how much you loved them when you first saw them, won't hold up to many repeated home viewings over years. Still, the whole Mine sequence is da awesome. The LoTR trilogy is like that for me ... made up of several great sequences separated by boring to irritating segments. Unlike something like Seven or even Seabiscuit, where I love almost every bit and still have no urge to FF through any part.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't know any of the other TC movies on that list. but I thought 'War of the Worlds' was pretty horrible and 'Top Gun' was cringe worthy (only good thing was the sound track). On the other hand, I liked 'Minority Report'. Just browsing around a bit on Amazon and see if there is something that might tempt me. Haven't watched anything for a very long while.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I forgot all about ‘War of the Worlds’ which I really hated. Maybe I blanked it out. I don’t have a problem with Tom he just doesn’t play in movies I like to see. I did like him in Tropic Thunder and Interview with the Vampire.

I’m not one of those people that watch and read everything that that celebrities are doing. If I see some celebrity on TV (not that I watch it anymore with netflix and amazon prime) pushing something or other I’d turn the channel. That said I didn’t like what he had to say about Brooke Shields (who was Carol Ferris in Justice League: The New Frontier) who has played in parts that I really loved.

Bad Tom Cruise movie: Legend. Sorry, I don't care if it's "lyrical and dreamy", it's horrible.

Oo how…could you not like Legend…it has Mia Sara (Ferris Bueller's Day Off) in it. Not to mention it has Tim Curry… Dr. Frank N. Furter himself…it just boggles my mind. He was MAL on Captain Planet. He was Pennywise the Dancing Clown (the main reason I fear clowns to this day).

Back to movies, I watched Coming to America. James Earl Jones is awesome.

Cowboys.com is now a gay dating site…GreenBayPackers.com is something we shall never discuss again…EVER.

Shakespeare said: Play to those who get it. Don’t dumb it down “to split the ears of the groundlings.”

Groundlings: The lowest common denominator.

He's not exactly chop liver in films like Born on the 4th of July and A Few Good Men. I also thought he was great in Collateral. He might not have the range of a guy like Daniel Day Lewis, but I'd put him up there with Brad Pitt as an actor who can carry a role.

Brad Pitt is a far better actor (now) than Cruise, imo. Pitt has grown a lot more and is able to express more depth. Cruise is still just playing Cruise in every film, I can get so tired of his one-note shouting-"I'm angry"-delivery. But I did think he was great in Collateral. I think that type of role is what he should be doing all the time...it fits him better than stuff like 4th of July or that Jerry movie.

P.S. I'm not a huge fan of Pitt either.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Tom didn't make sense in Valkyrie ether.

Cowboys.com is now a gay dating site…GreenBayPackers.com is something we shall never discuss again…EVER.

Shakespeare said: Play to those who get it. Don’t dumb it down “to split the ears of the groundlings.”

Bad Tom Cruise movie: Legend. Sorry, I don't care if it's "lyrical and dreamy", it's horrible. Then-bf dragged me to it because he loved Tangerine Dream, who did the soundtrack. The soundtrack was ok, but I would have walked out of the movie if the bf hadn't wanted to sit through it all. :getlost:

Between this and our divergent opinions on John Carter, I'm now convinced you are the anti-me. Should we ever meet we will create a break in the time-space continuum. :p

Sorry I have a soft spot for Legend (some would say its in my brain). :disguise:

The LoTR trilogy is like that for me ... made up of several great sequences separated by boring to irritating segments.

Weirdly I kinda feel the same way about the books (sacrilege for many, I know). I do enjoy watching the films (and rarely fast forward over anything) but I doubt I'll ever watch them often.

In fact, I thought about re-watching the films in the lead up to The Hobbit but I waited for awhile and the feeling went away.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

For those not burnt out yet on superhero movies..

The latest trailer on Zack Snyder's Superman

That trailer is awesome. I love that it’s directed by Zack Snyder and produced by Christopher Nolan. I’m happy they choose Amy Adams (come on who didn’t like her in Doubt?) to play Lois. Henry Cavill I don’t really know that well…anyone got any movies of his I could watch to get a feel for his acting? I always liked Lane Smith (his love for Elvis) as Perry White but Laurence Fishburne is an awesome pick.

It might be Gary Mitchell, not Khan.

This .... makes total sense. And that would be the awesome, actually. I mean, the whole Khan thing was never completely officially confirmed, was it? Even on IMDB it says (rumored). So they could be thinking "everyone thinks it's Khan? Great, let them think that." Note: the character also wears a black shirt with the Federation emblem on it. I suppose he could have stolen the shirt to wear, but if not, that would make Mitchell even more likely (Khan was never originally in Starfleet...).

Regardless, I love Benedict, and he's the main reason I'd go see this new ST....in the theater. Even if he is Khan, I bet he'll surprise people and make a decent one for an alternate-reality backstory-Khan. He won't be Ricardo, but no one could be.

I'm betting on

Cumberbatch is playing Mitchell. Weller is playing Khan. This way they tribute the second episode and the second movie. Khan captures Mitchell, unleashes his powers, then sets him loose.

Note that I was completely wrong about the last Star Trek movie. In pretty much every way.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Watched the Bourne legacy. not very good. too much a slow start, tonally very different from the other bourne movies, doesn't stand on it's own. good acting though.

I think this was probably Edward Norton's worst role yet (as antagonist)

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Has Will Smith made any good movie since... ever?

Men in Black 1+2, Enemy of the state, persuit of happiness.

But yes, wild wild west was awful. so was 7pounds. I am legend was cool until it became Christian evangelical crap.

I'd say good actor who sometimes chooses bad films.

anyway, this trailer looks really good.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I'm pretty sure your pros and cons are mixed up Morgie. Will Smith and his son make good movies, and Shyamalan doesn't.

In that I can agree. Kinda. Shyamalan just hasn't made a good movie in the past 10 years or so. He was fine before Signs.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

As long as it's Unbreakable Shymalan and not the other guy, it might be good. I still hold Unbreakable as one of my favorite movies.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."