Movies You've Seen Recently

LadyCrimson

Last thread

..Expendables 2. The first 5-10 minutes made me ruminate on how even "fun action" can be boring when swept in with zero initial context, but the last half made up for that with all the jokes and references. Not a better film than the 1st one, but I thought it was more fun. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

watched "The Grey" a few nights ago, one of the worst movies i've ever seen.

hilariously awful

makes The Edge look like citizen kane

also saw Skyfall recently: i really wanted to like this, it had several elements that I loved, but too many plot holes and script problems kept the film from being great. i'd give the director a B+ and the writer a C

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

watched "The Grey" a few nights ago, one of the worst movies i've ever seen.

hilariously awful

Yes, but doesn't matter, because...Liam Neeson is the awesome. And with the current path of his film career, I fully expect to see him in The Expendables:Next Generation, delivering the ultimate in deadpan one-liners, which would also be awesome. That one skit from Life's Too Short was an instant classic, imo. :-

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I saw "Skyfall" a couple of days ago, and it was good, but for some reason the pre-movie entertainment annoyed me more than usual. Seriously, do they make those trivia quizzes painfully boring on purpose?

One recent survey by a Washington-based researcher concluded that Americans were far more willing to participate in cannibalism then they have in the past hundred years. America is a nation that will not suffer abominations lightly.

Seriously, do they make those trivia quizzes painfully boring on purpose?

Of course. It's to drive people out to buy more popcorn!

makes The Edge look like citizen kane

also saw Skyfall recently: i really wanted to like this, it had several elements that I loved, but too many plot holes and script problems kept the film from being great. i'd give the director a B+ and the writer a C

Personally, I love The Edge. Anthony Hopkins versus a bear. And Alec Baldwin. Plus Michael from LOST

dies horribly and painfully

I thought Skyfall was good, but there was absolutely no 'wow' factor in it for me. I was entertained, but never thrilled. I think, with time, it'll stand the test of being a good Bond film. Not superstellar or anything, but a solid entry in the franchise.

I am currently on episode six of the first season of Battlestar Galactica. I caught an episode when it made it's first run, and absolutely hated it. Watching it now, in its proper running order has made me realize how late for the party I am.

Hopefully five or ten years down the road I can do the same with The Wire.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Does anyone else miss rerun season? Having 1-2 shows per day 48 weeks a year to watch makes it really hard to catch up on stuff you missed

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I watched Bad ass. it was ok.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Does anyone else miss rerun season? Having 1-2 shows per day 48 weeks a year to watch makes it really hard to catch up on stuff you missed

Everything is streaming nowadays. Between Netflix and HuluPlus I can catch up on any show I want, whenever I want.

I meant there isn't any time to catch up on anything because there's always something new. My PVR still has 5 unwatched episodes of Sinbad, 6 of Revolution, episodes of Castle, Supernatural, Warehouse 13, WWE Raw, and so on. Because if I want to play a couple hours of games, that's a couple hours of TV I can't watch. Plus I jave like 120 items in my netflix queue, two episodes of young justice downloaded, and 3 seasons of Babylon 5 on DVD I need to watch. With work and kids I used to use repeat season to catch up because there was like 2 months of no new content. Now there's just too much to watch and not enough time to watch it.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"Get the Gringo."

Not a movie that sounds very good, but it's actually not a bad action/drama movie, despite its rather outlandish premise. We rather liked it.

I meant there isn't any time to catch up on anything because there's always something new. My PVR still has 5 unwatched episodes of Sinbad, 6 of Revolution, episodes of Castle, Supernatural, Warehouse 13, WWE Raw, and so on. Because if I want to play a couple hours of games, that's a couple hours of TV I can't watch.

I have dual screens. I game on one with the volume turned down and watch TV on the other. I managed to play Diablo 3 for the last few weeks while catching up on watching all my TV shows. Even managed to watch Season 1 of Person of Interest last week. Caught up on the latest episodes of Fringe, Merlin, Walking Dead, CSI, Criminal Minds, Hawaii Five-0. It's great being able to do two things at once.

Also watched The Expendables 2 and Total Recall (2012). Didn't mind both of them although with Total Recall, it didn't make sense how they travel from Australia to Britain.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Extracted was surprisingly good. it's off to a slow start. but if you enjoy sci-fi, I recommend it.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Lawless

8.5/10

Another excellent movie from John Hillcoat and display of quality acting here, especially from Gary Oldman, who is now officially in my top five list of most versatile and manly actors. The Transformers kiddo with the French name wasn't a slouch either, I can see him turning into a man finally too, kinda like Di'Caprio.

Moonrise Kingdom. More sentimental and idyllic than your standard Wes Anderson fare, but appropriately surreal and kitschy. I wouldn't call it saccharine, but if anyone but Wes Anderson had made it, it would probably feel that way if they didn't try to make it "darker" somehow. Only real flaws were the unexplained heel-face turn of the khaki scout troop (spoiler I guess,) and all the bandying about of Tilda Swinton's name since she had all of 5 minutes of screen time. It was quite good, at any rate.

Watched episodes 1 & 2 (season 3) of The Wire.

Not a movie. Not nitpicking if it's trueeeeee.

I finished watching The Wire, all 5 seasons. It was pretty awesome, and I think I can navigate the mean streets of Baltimore now.

There were a lot of episodes that made me not want to be a cop, but the way it ended made me feel that it would be a pretty great career if I had to choose something else to do.

Moonrise Kingdom. More sentimental and idyllic than your standard Wes Anderson fare, but appropriately surreal and kitschy. I wouldn't call it saccharine, but if anyone but Wes Anderson had made it, it would probably feel that way if they didn't try to make it "darker" somehow. Only real flaws were the unexplained heel-face turn of the khaki scout troop (spoiler I guess,) and all the bandying about of Tilda Swinton's name since she had all of 5 minutes of screen time. It was quite good, at any rate.

Watched episodes 1 & 2 (season 3) of The Wire.

Not a movie. Not nitpicking if it's trueeeeee.

haters-gonna-hate-cigar-and-beer.jpg

This actually is nitpicking but The Sopranos wasn't a movie either.

Currently watching seasons 1-5 of Stargate Atlantis on DVD. Every episode has a director's comentary track, I know most people never watch those but I love them so it's a huge bonus for me.

Edited by Serrano

Was rewatching the film F/X and its sequel last night. I miss Brian Dennehy's presence in the movies. He wasn't always in the best films, but he was one of those actors where a film might feel suddenly improved by his appearance. I know he's still around, in theater and occasional small roles, but y'know what I mean.

Think I'll watch Silverado again.

I finally watched 1984. I don't think it will surprise anyone when I say it's a downer. ;)

---

Watched Halo 4 Forward Unto Dawn.

An interesting take, live-action of cadets and centered around Lansky (the character of turns up as an officer in Halo 4) and his trials as he tries to figure out if he's meant to be a soldier. Set at a military academy and then one of the first Covenant invasion points when know one really knew they were out there. Throw in the obligatory appearance of the Master Chief towards the latter section to help rescue the surviving cadets and allow Lansky to figure things out about what he's doing with his life.

Didn't look too bad, but I would say it really doesn't stand well on it's own. Although I did go through half of it thinking "where have I seen that girl before?" about one of the cadets, until I realised she was one of the four kids in the Narnia films. But yes, if you haven't played some of the games or somehow have a grasp on the world and characters at its basis, there just isn't enough depth to it to successfully carry it by itself.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."