What is the class you will be playing first?

What class will you play first?  

341 members have voted

1. 1. What class will be the one you play the first time you play P:E?

• Fighter
    • Wizard
    • Rogue
    • Priest
    • Paladin
    • Barbarian
    • Cipher
    • Druid
    • Ranger
    • More
  2. 2. More options

• Monk
    • Chanter
    • I picked from the first question.

3 people voted for a class in both questions.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Rogues are usually my bag.

I don't like my character to get relegated too much to a support role, so clericy/priesty classes are out (although I like their versatility, on paper).

And, as much as I enjoy leading from the front and being the centre of attention, fighters (and their derivatives) can be kind of one-note and featureless (yay! level up! some more hit points!).

An incredibly well conceived magic system could tempt me into playing a Cipher or Wizard, and patiently build myself up to the point of actually being helpful.

But a Rogue can be intelligent, glib, manipulative, unpredictable, quick, witty, and versatile: a stabby-stabby assassin with a dark secret or a moustache twiddling, chandelier-swinging buccaneer and soldier of fortune. There's nothing better than a Rogue.

• Like 1

3 people voted for a class in both questions.

Some people want to watch the world burn...

In other news, I find it interesting that there are currently about the same number of people (taking into account the fact that this poll is highly not scientifically accurate) wanting to play a core-4 class (priest) as there are wanting to play a class which, for lack of a better explanation, has players who can barely utilize the forum (barbarians).

e, so clericy/priesty classes are out (although I like their versatility, on paper).

I wonder if this is part of the problem with priests or if paladins are just thought of as "priest + fighter"? Obsidian will probably have to think about the priest's role in this game a little bit further to make it as exciting a class to play as the cipher. Everyone wants to be Poirot....

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I don't like my character to get relegated too much to a support role, so clericy/priesty classes are out (although I like their versatility, on paper).

I used to think that way too, that's why I used to play warrior types almost exclusively, because I enjoyed being right at the front, in the middle of the action. I'm not sure what changed in me as a person, but I've come to really relish playing support characters. I get great joy from casting buffs and debuffs and watching just how MASSIVE a difference they make on the battlefield, and by aiding wounded allies and snatching them from the jaws of death (I'll be playing using Expert Mode, so it will be snatching them from death, not just unconsciousness).

Of course, in the end I'm a micro-manager in these types of games so I'll be controlling everyone most of the time anyway. :p

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'll be playing Monk so that I can solo the game as Forton.

As Forton? Forton is a companion, I doubt you will be able to make him the player character.

Or did I misunderstand what you were saying?

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

Most likely some fighter type, I tend to like arcane companions better but who knows how it'll go here.

Also, on my first try I tend to go goody-goody on all choices, so I might just go and pick a Paladin.

Or depending on the mood, might go with a scoundrel rogue just as easily.

Fighter is my favourite when it is done well. Give me powers to click on and have some strategy built into the game and I am sold.

Make "tanking" a sometimes thing, but a thing.

Make the fighter moderate dps and the other classes brittle but higher dps.

Make the level race and class important, dont make the fighter the sum of her gear. I dont want to finish a quest, get a nice sword and suddenly be 30% better.

Wow. I'm positively shocked at the results so far. Nobody wants to play priest. Well about 2% do. Why are the priest choosing people most excited about playing them that the rest of us aren't seeing?

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

cipher and rogue are first choices depending on how Obsi handles them....a distant 3rd would be mages as long as they aren't the cliche frail nerd in a dress or a dextrous and charismatic fighter.

A frail nerd in a dress is exactly what I want.

• Like 4

God used to be my co-pilot, but then we crashed in the Andes and I had to eat him.

Rogue, sneak around, pick some locks, talk people down. I'm also gonna see if the Cipher can so some mind reading shenanigans and if the wizzie can use utility spells to avoid gameplay sections.

I'd also love to try single class party (wizzies are too weak, might go druids), and a solo run-through.

A frail nerd in a dress is exactly what I want.

hey man, whatever floats your life raft...

I just hope that its possible to strike a build balance between some stick figure who couln't stand up to a gust of wind (let alone the rigors of adventuring) and a wannabe warrior wearing full plate.

Without absolutly no info about classes i would choose Ranger or Barbarian or Druid because I like nature based classes. If ranger is too focused on bows then druid or Barbarian as i dont like ranged weapons too much. Than I am interested in rogue or monk for talking. Then I would like to try some magic user so it will be wizard or cipher. Rest of classes are quite meh for me. I particulary hate divine classes (priest, paladin) or generic warriors.

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I can't answer this yet as I'm torn between the following characters:

Paladin, because the PE depiction of them as warlords sounds interesting and fits as party commander.

Wizard, my usual favourite class and now that they can wear armour and weapons I can indulge in mage with sword.

Cipher, because medieval psyker sounds awesome!

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

This is pretty hard to answer without knowing a bit more about the classes.

With a smaller party I'll usually spec a dual wielding fighter and max DPS and leave the other roles to my companions - it just makes the killin' faster and easier. Games where I can take a larger party I usually pick a spellcaster because I like checking out all the cool spells and effects. Rogues can be fun but I'll usually reserve them for another playthrough. A paladin can work, but I usually only play them because they have to take high charisma and make good party leaders. Cipher seems like a wild card, not sure if I'll like them or not.

I generally avoid Barbarians and Rangers because theyre too much like fighters and I don't like the bonuses they get compared to what they lose. I don't like playing Priests because it's a support role and I'd rather play something more up front and flashy. I find Monks boring because they don't get any cool equips and seem too static in their growth path. Druids are usually worthless, and I've never liked bards.

Again, since we know nothing about these classes all of that could change. In particular I'd like if they could do something to fix Druids and Monks, since they could be a really cool play experience if tweaked a little. Priests should play differently as well, since there will be limited healing/resurrection so they will have to do something else to be useful.

In conclusion I have no idea how to answer this poll :p

• Like 1