How much gore?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. How much gore would you like to see in PE?

• No gore/12+/My daughter wants to play it
    • Blood
    • Blood + decals (blood stains on the ground)
    • Blood + super decals (blood stains on ground and models)
    • ^ + Minor dismemberment (Head)
    • ^ + Dismemberment (heads, arms, legs)
    • ^ + Major gore (Exploding humans ala District 9 and lulBG)

Make the game realistically gory. The idea of an rpg is based around immersion and as people have talked about in other threads realism and moral choices are a big part of that. Without visceral, real and gory violence, there is less emotional impact. You won't think twice before needlessly killing the starving beggar, because his body will just disappear right after he dies. Killing somebody should have real and emotional consequences and gore is a big part of that.

To the guy who referred to it as "senseless violence" like Chilloutman said, what is senseless is clean murder. If you don't want to see blood, take the diplomatic route and don't kill people all the time and you wont have to worry about it.

• Like 3

I definitely think a high level of gore (within reason) would be best. They could always just add a "gore" option that players can toggle (or adjust) to their needs.

EDIT:

To expand, when I say high level of gore I mean that if you score a big crit and kill something, having limbs chopped off would make sense. Those fireball spells should leave charred remains.

Basically along the lines of what Fallout did.

While it was entertaining to squish people out of their armour in Baldur's Gate, I think it wasn't very well implemented. You went from people dying and falling over to them exploding in huge blasts for no obvious reason. :p

Edited by LordBlade

I personally don't mind gore, some of the funnest moments for me in FO:NV were the ones when people exploded after I'd hit them with an energy weapon, taking other people with them (including my companions) and crippling myself.

But there should be a setting to turn it off, for people who want to play the game but don't like gore. This should not be that hard to implement.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239

I'm fine with gore, as long as it's not too over-the-top. People shouldn't be exploding from getting smacked with a sword, and losing an arm shouldn't make them spray blood like a fire hose. Even an actual explosion shouldn't reduce a person to tiny, uniform red chunks. But, as long as it's not that ​ ridiculous, I'm okay with it.

• Like 1

Just refrain from the Dragon Age 'idea' of having your character walked around caked in gore after a battle with a few rats....while no one seems to notice.

Personally, if someone walked up to me on the streets with blood and brain matter spattered all over his clothes and started chatting with me, I'd probably politely excuse myself and call the police.

• Like 3

Just refrain from the Dragon Age 'idea' of having your character walked around caked in gore after a battle with a few rats....while no one seems to notice.

Personally, if someone walked up to me on the streets with blood and brain matter spattered all over his clothes and started chatting with me, I'd probably politely excuse myself and call the police.

I turned that off as soon as I figured out I could do it. The most horrible part is that there would always be blood on people's teeth and that creeped me out.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239

Bodies need not explode, but if I hit someone in the head with a poleaxe or run them through with a spear, then I do expect to see evidence of my opponent having been hit. Severed heads and limbs don't bother me at all and I think that they'd be especially useful if there was some sort of "called shot" system in the game for melee experts.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I want the gore to be as realistic as possible, chopping an arm off with a club is kinda unrealistic while crushing someone's skull isn't. Exploding corpses sure is fun, but I'd say it's fairly unrealistic with usual weapons while with explosives and some spells it would make sense. Having a high level spell called "Bloody Mess" that can make an enemy explode would be totally awesome. And having a violence slider like Fallout had would be pretty good too for those who don't want a lot of gore as well.

• Like 1

Sure they can add it, but I want an option to turn it off. Gore has never been my cup of tea.

Especially when it splashes into your tea. That's no fun at all. :p

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

All options and a slider in the game settings... Different people different deviations :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I quite like the old infinity engine explosion mechanics (which get referred to as "chunking" or "gibbles" when playing co-op). It may not be mature, but it's a bit of silly fun when you get a critical hit and blow up someone in a ridiculous way. I'd quite happily stick to that theme, normal sensible deaths for normal attacks, but for a critical, just go over the top with a fountain of non-specific body parts, preferably with that same sound effect as the infinity engine. I don't want graphic or realistic things, just something that really shows that you have utterly pasted that monster...

Can I turn it (senseless "gore") off, please?

Dont understand a question. You have gore and then it have sense, or not have gore and its then senseless ( it doesnt make sense to butcher someone with sword and not see gore)

For example, in FO 3 when I shot someone with my gauss rifle, I hit them in the chest, and somehow cut off all their limbs with one shot.

im for full gore. i ve been playing games with gory content since i was 14 with quake 1 2 3, hexen, half life fallout and so on, so games that lack gore in battle for the sake of being rated as playable by younger players just seem fake. besides, the 12yo will play them anyway, so its a fake sense of morality to remove the content "for the child's sake"

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I vote for Fallout stylish gore too (1-2 and tactics stye ofc) Fire magic burns, cold magic shatters, lighting disintegrates, slashing weapons dismembers, blunt weapons crushes, death magic/curses rots and acidic attacks melts.

Give me bloodshed dammit :(

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

To be honest, gore is something I only notice if it falls around the extreme ends of the spectrum: missing completely, or stupidly excessive. If it should be there - it should be there, period. But don't put gore just to put more gore, please. When it's very overdone it triggers in my brain as 'revolting stupidity' to which I respond with 'ok, bored now'.

I don't need to play a game that get its aesthetics from Kill Bill's ridiculously overdone blood extravaganza or Dragon Age 2's 'enemies' (better name: 'boneless bags of blood') exploding into bloody gibbets when you so much as sneezed on them. Save the extravaganzas and overdone extremities for special things, when they're fitting, and not for common gameplay. If a powerful blow would crush a skull, let it crush a skull. But single blows of daggers or arrows shouldn't cause bloody explosions or decapitation/dismemberment.

But unless it falls on the extreme ends of the spectrum, I doubt I'll really notice.

• Like 2

Just have a gore/violance slider, it's the easiest solution and thus the best.

For player - yes

For dev - not so much

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

That is exactly how I feel. God, that game was horrible for all the artificial emphasis on blood, it became tired really quickly.

They propably thought to themselves

"You know what would be cool? If we were to make a game were blood is the basis for everything. Theres blood everywhere when you fight and everything evil is tied to blood. Like bloodmagic and stuff. That would be a real mature theme, especially if we shove it down the players throats every couple of minutes."

I hated the game for that reason alone.

I'm fine with higher levels of gore, but I voted blood+decals since it seems like a solution that would put minimal strain on time and resources. I'd frankly much rather that Obsidian concentrate their efforts on other parts of the game than making cool looking dismembered limbs.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks