How much gore?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. How much gore would you like to see in PE?

• No gore/12+/My daughter wants to play it
    • Blood
    • Blood + decals (blood stains on the ground)
    • Blood + super decals (blood stains on ground and models)
    • ^ + Minor dismemberment (Head)
    • ^ + Dismemberment (heads, arms, legs)
    • ^ + Major gore (Exploding humans ala District 9 and lulBG)

So what about gore? How much gore do you think is appropriate within the game's setting and general feel? Would you like mages tearing apart enemies with their brutal spells or fighters slice stupid goblins in half? Or do you think the game should be more reserved with gore and include only bare minimum?

Personally, I'd prefer a balanced gore with visible blood stains on the terrain under enemies corpses and blood on character models (it just feels more real as if you killed a real monster or a person and not a doll). I dont like dismemberment in modern games too much. For me, it's a cheesy way to look like "M for Mature". Fallout 3 suffered from this in my opinion.

Fallout 2 on the other hand had the best gore from the aestethic standpoint. It was striking, brutal and real.

What do you think?

PS Best gore in video-game award goes to....

1533.jpg

Edited by Hellfell
  • Like 2

Only boring people get bored

I agree with you, but I also think torning apart undead is cool XD So maybe only include dismemberment when it comes to undead.

I know it's a lot of work, but for enemies hit by fire spells it would look stupid to be just all bloody, they need to be reduced to charcoal, frozen solid by frost spells, rot away after getting hit by Finger of Death, disintegrate after struck by lightning and so on...

I also find that after "slicing up enemies and hitting them in the face with a fireball" their cloths and armor sould be made useless, but not unsalvageable.

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves: You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin (RIP!)

I concur with Fallout 1/2. Including the fact that you could limit the gore in options or turn it off altogether. Characters soaked in blood aren't too bad, but there has to be an easy way to clean them. It would destroy the aesthetic feeling of them!

Also I think there's been a few gore threads before.

Edited by Aoyagi
  • Like 1

Where's the "Japanese gore film" option? :p

The game is supposed to be rated M I believe? By default I think gore shouldn't be avoided, but shouldn't be encouraged either. I would use it sparingly, to make it more impactful when it is used and to avoid making it trivial (and the game becoming cartoony). Maybe some high level spells can rip enemies apart for example, or being hit by a cannon could leave a hole :p .

The goriest effects however I think are achieved with added dialogue, detailing the looks and adding smells, sounds and the feeling of a scene. PS:T did this rather nicely, on a few occasions making my stomach feel uneasy, even when the visual part was non-existent.

• Like 4

Look at Sacred. They did a really cool job if it goes for dismembering and bloodstains and stuff. I love bloodstains and places like in gothic were bodies were lying around with arrows sticking in them and an empty caravan and stuff. IT REALLY IMPROVES THE MOOD.

• Like 1

Gore isn't as big a priority in games for me as it was 10-15 years ago, and I'd even argue that it doesn't fit in some games.

The gore in Fallout 1+2 felt just right for those games, but the same amount of gore wouldn't have felt right in something like Planescape: Torment. Extreme gore in modern games often comes off as silly, especially in large quantities, as opposed to using it sparingly. Over the top gore is good for an inherently silly game like Borderlands, but not for games that attempt to be slightly serious. And effects like shooting someone's head off with a head shot (did I fire circular sawblades from my rifle?) are simply hard to take seriously.

In other words, what the level of gore should be IMHO is completely dependent on the tone that's planned for the game.

• Like 1

Hard to choose option, I largerly aggre with OP that F2 was just right but F3 was just joke. But I think that dismembering is apropriate but have to have its rules. It doesnt make sense when you shoot someone with arrow to explode (looking at you F3) but I can see how hero cutting of tentacles from sea monster with 2H sword or whacking orc to gory mash with Warhammer. All effects should be appropriate used technique - be it arrow, sword or lighning

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Appropriate gore.

That means people exploding if they get hit by a really high level lightning spell, burning up after being hit by a FIREball or simply falling over after receiving an instant death spell.

What'd also be welcome, would be the death messages, like in Fallout. Y'know, spines clearly visible in front and all that jazz.

• Like 1

I would like to see both dismemberment and major gore. Something about making a goblin explode because I crit with my claymore makes me happy.

A healthy variety of death-positions and animations would be nice too. There are more than one way to react to getting your head lopped off.

A written description of what caused you to die and how dignified (or butchered) your corpse is would be memorable when you play through on Ironman and your favorite PC dies.

Noone should explode in a cloud of guts blood and brains because they were hit with an arrow.

2z8udko.jpg

What about a fist? :biggrin:

Beware the fists of Matt Dillon.

• Like 1

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

Can I turn it (senseless "gore") off, please?

Dont understand a question. You have gore and then it have sense, or not have gore and its then senseless ( it doesnt make sense to butcher someone with sword and not see gore)

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I personally would like diablo 3 level gore. You get the flying corpses and dismemberment but it's not excessively gorey. You get blood stains on the ground but they fade fairly quickly. Also you don't get bloodstains on your characters. No offense to DA:O as much as I got that they were trying to make that game darker and more realistic with the inclusion of blood spattered character it came of totally juvenile.

Mainly I would say that more blood and guts doesn't make the game more mature or gritty. In truth it has the opposite effect where it's pandering to kids (or at least feels that way) who want excessive amounts of gore and detracts from the overall feel of the game. I don't need an RPG version of mortal kombat.

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

A realistic level of gore is fine for me. Body parts flying all over the screen because of a sword strike seems utterly ludicrous and detracts from the maturity level, although it would be reasonable for an actual explosion. I appreciate it when the developers take the simulation seriously.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Where's the "don't care" option? ;)

Either way is fine with me. If there's no sense of "gore" I won't care that's it's not there, but if I get gibs flying everywhere, that's fine too...and can sometimes be amusing. Visually however, sometimes lots of tiny isometric corpses with all the same "blood stain" underneath/on them starts to look a bit ridiculous rather than realistically violent/gore"), because it all looks too much the same.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I really don't care. The only game where I even NOTICED the gore was Fallout 3, and that was largely due to my penchant for using VATS and a rifle to kill everything via a long-distance slow-motion headshot.

I will say that it was pretty entertaining in Titan Quest that if you seriously overkilled monsters they'd launch violently into the air. Skeletons flew apart. But they didn't spray red paint everywhere. I refuse to call it blood. It doesn't look or act anything remotely how blood does. How do I know? I used to chop up dead people for a living.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.