uses for dead companions..

looting their bodies and being able to use their weapons/gear during combat (with limitations/penalties).

be able to use them as shields, in combat.

return their bodies to their families or bury them, or carry-out wishes they made known to you before or even at the moment of dying (ex. quest to a certain lake for pyre). maybe a 'dying breath' moment after combat ends where you can check on the fallen and sometimes you find them alive long enough for them to reveal a secret or impart a request. and to have different incentives/rewards for doing these things, as well using this as a way to introduce quests/further your story and explore their backgrounds/stories. (ex. you receive a family heirloom from the parents of a fallen companion, or you find out your companion wasn't who they said they were when you return to the place they told you they were from)

other ideas..?

• Like 2

Getting a 'dying breath' quest is a great idea.

Along those lines - After someone dies, their spirit could be accessed by a necromancer or spiritual medium, allowing you to talk to them and get information or more quests. In Planescape, the Nameless One brings along Deionarra to the Fortress of Regrets with the intention of killing her so that her spirit may serve as a voice on the inside. Maybe something along those lines could work, if a companion dies in a certain place, his spirit could gain information about the location, making killing a companion a consideration if you wanted to learn something you couldnt in the physical world.

• Like 2

other ideas..?

Food? Yeah, playing too much nethack over the years ;)

Apart from that, take them to the taxidermist? You could end up with an impressive collection in your stronghold dungeon :)

• Like 5

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Maybe a wizard or cipher could siphon the soul of the fallen comrade, granting him/her a permanent stat bonus?

But s/he'd have to shout "There can be only one" while doing it.

Edited by Agelastos
  • Like 1

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

My living room lamps could use some new shades....

....but I do like the dying request quest type idea, as long as the quests don't end with some uber loot reward, because then I'd feel like I have to murder my companions to get it. Or at least ... not help them survive. :shifty: But some story/lore quests might be cool.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Nice to have spare parts. Given all of the fighting you endure, spares are good.

Could always use another waterskin.

Tents don't fashion themselves.

Companion Corpse!

Modern art.

Target practice.

Anyways, I'd be more than pleased to receive final requests from my dying (or dead) companions. If I had befriended them well enough, it would be neat to get emotionaly-charged (though not melodramatic, please) content from letting them die on me. Heck, maybe on a second playthrough I could learn more about a companion through their death than I got from life (especially if they're that "solemn and mysterious past" type).

Edit: Removed a joke in poor taste. Funny at 1am, but I'd have regretted it come morning. Don't give me that; it wasn't all that bad, just a little poor in taste. Ugh, I'll just stick it down here and read all the flamemail in the morning.

Still warm? Donate to a would-be rapist! Keep them off the streets!

Edited by Pipyui

To paraphrase a classic: their blood can be used to drown someone, you can sell their organs and gain enough money to hire an assassin, the bodies can cause serious injuries if shot at someone at high enough velocity, and their bones can be sharpened and used as a weapon.

And the beauty of the concept is, these could be done with appropriate spells.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Zombie Butler.

Oh you want to be so independent and brave and not obey your orders?

Well you're dead now.

Permanently.

But now you'll obey my every command.

Empty the chamber pots! Tend the Grounds! Feed the Weresharks!

Edited by .Leif.

I can't figure out if this thread is complete joke or not. Mostly people reload when someone from party die but oh well thre are clearly some masochists. For Ironman mode it can be interesting to get some last wish quest. Other than that - using your companion as shield? seriously? I am in wrong parts of forum aperently

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I can't figure out if this thread is complete joke or not. Mostly people reload when someone from party die

That is the point. It shouldn't have to be that way.

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

I can't figure out if this thread is complete joke or not. Mostly people reload when someone from party die

That is the point. It shouldn't have to be that way.

You missed rest of post where I mention that it probably have some merit for ironman mode but for most playthroughs many people dont want to miss conversation option because their companion died. I am not talking for all people ofcourse

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

but for most playthroughs many people don't want to miss conversation option because their companion died.

That's what he is referring to. That there should be a good enough reason for people to not load a save, every time a party member accidentally dies.

Edited by kenup

That's what he is referring to. That there should be a good enough reason for people to not load a save, every time a party member accidentally dies.

Exactly.

many people dont want to miss conversation option because their companion died.

That's what Biff the Understudy is for. :p