Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Anthropomorphic animal races in Project Eternity?

anthropomorph races khajiit

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
157 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think? (178 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you tolerate anthropomorphic animal races (like the Khajiit in TES:Skyrim) in Project Eternity?

1. HELL YEAH! (29 votes [16.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.29%

2. YES (47 votes [26.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.40%

3. NO (35 votes [19.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.66%

4. HOW ABOUT NO? (53 votes [29.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.78%

5. Let me explain my opinion -> (10 votes [5.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.62%

6. Only NPCs (4 votes [2.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.25%

Do you think humans are boring as a playable race? Is it arrogant to place ourselfs into every fantasy setting?

1. YES (26 votes [14.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.61%

2. NO (143 votes [80.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.34%

3. Let me explain my opinion -> (9 votes [5.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.06%

Vote

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6713 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

When did Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny, and the Thundercats turn into beastiality?

I blame the Cadbury's caramel bunny personally.

Posted Image

Pshaw

Pshaw

Farceur of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Steam:Pshaw
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
To restate from another thread I like Beast-like races. Mainly I like to have races that are distinct from humans rather than just humans with pointy ears or different color skin. I don't think 'antros are lazy design' anymore than I think halflings are. One is a shrunk down human, one is a bipedal (usually) animal. The things that make the design lazy are the implementation of the race in the game world not the look of the race itself. I prefer a few beast races for the sake of variety in addition to the fact that to me it just seems more plausible that in a world filled with all sorts of fantastical monsters that the only civilizations to have risen are not all populated by hairless apes with very slight variations. That said I wouldn't ever want more than 2 or 3 beast races in a given game anymore more than that is just too much.

Edited by Pshaw, 20 November 2012 - 09:22 AM.

• necromate likes this

Umberlin

Umberlin

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 545 posts
I'll never understand any of the justifications and excuses I've seen from the people that consider Humans boring. I've heard countless reasons why people think Humans are boring - you know what's boring and uninspired? Writers so talentless, uninspired and lazy that their last resort for new races is to mash a Human and a random animal together bug me. Most non-Human races in games, to me, come off as Humans, Human cultures and societies, with a random non-Human visual slapped on them. As such Human, to me, typically come off as the more creative, and it's only the very rare and very creative non-Human races that come off as worthwhile.

Edited by Umberlin, 20 November 2012 - 11:03 AM.

• Karranthain, Tsuga C and JFSOCC like this

Augusta Corvina

Augusta Corvina

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I have no issue with anthropomorphic races in general. After all my favorite kind of anthropomorphic races are aking to the Naga in Warcraft. IE snakewomen with varying degrees of human appearance with the only universal trait for them being the fact that they have a snaketail instead of legs(look at my avatar for the basic idea of what I mean. Though half-draconic'ish races like the ones that showed up in IWD2 are also good. I used to mod the game so my character had their avatars). I also like cat girls(to use that as an example of the fur sort of anthro's) more or less, but I'm not overly fond of the Kahjiit in the slightest as they are presented in Oblivion and Skyrim because of the aesthetics of their heads just don't look particularly good in my opinion. That said I'd still champion their inclusion regardless as just because I don't like them it doesn't mean no one else should be able to experience them. After all it is just as valid a taste as mine is. Only difference is I prefer scales over fur(granted I gave up on finding a game that allowed me to play a naga/lamia).

As for humans, I don't find them boring per se. It more comes down to what their culture is like in the setting and the overall aesthetics of said culture. They are however rarely my go to race unless I find the other race options to fall short. It also depends heavily on what aesthetical choices we have available for the customization of the characters appearance. I know I play humans more often if I can give them exotic combinations in terms of skin, hair and eye colour(that and as long as they don't look Liefeldian).

quechn1tlan

quechn1tlan

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

(granted I gave up on finding a game that allowed me to play a naga/lamia).

Well Warcraft 3 TFT has some naga missions.
Plus NWN2 introduced pureblood yuan-tis as a playable race. They don't have tails per se(would've been awsome if they had) but in your head you still know that they are snake people.
Also HoMM series had naga units since forever.

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2254 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'll never understand any of the justifications and excuses I've seen from the people that consider Humans boring. I've heard countless reasons why people think Humans are boring - you know what's boring and uninspired? Writers so talentless, uninspired and lazy that their last resort for new races is to mash a Human and a random animal together bug me. Most non-Human races in games, to me, come off as Humans, Human cultures and societies, with a random non-Human visual slapped on them. As such Human, to me, typically come off as the more creative, and it's only the very rare and very creative non-Human races that come off as worthwhile.

I couldn't agree more.
You can have the full spectrum of characters and personalities inside the human race, because we do have the entire spectrum of characters and personalities in the human race. And tying character to species/race is silly.
I think it's a bit unoriginal Goblins/ferengi do the trade, orcs/klingons are the powerful warriors, elves/vulcans are the wise sagely creatures. it's just so uninspired and shows a lack of effort to make species distinct based on inherent traits.
I have no need for racist stereotypes to be real. (Khajit like to sneak)

Now I don't mind having other races/species in the game, but give all of them access to the full spectrum of character/personalities

Doppelschwert

Doppelschwert

Sword Enthusiast of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1030 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I don't like anthromorphic animal races either. Apart from being lazy design, imho they most often aren't consistent with the game world. I always feel like their existence would imply there being offspring with regular humans and the more you mix them, the sillier it gets. So at the start its half-dogpeople and then you get quarter-dogpeople and so on.
It doesn't even allow for characters that couldn't be human themselves in the first place. So you live with dogs because you have a dog head - a human could live with dogs as well.

Elves, Dwarfes and halflings aren't that original either, because they are humanlike as well, but at least you can imagine them having the same ancestors as humans, just having evolved differently (although this is a magical world where technically "everything goes", that is still way more plausible).

To be honest, I don't even need any humanoid races besides humans at all. Games like fire emblem show that a low fantasy can work as well, where its more about political conflict. Gothic comes to mind as well.

Now what would be interesting to play would be werepeople, but without animals. Lets say there is a whole country of cursed humans which are forced to transform into some kind of ...something different at certain points. So you had the chance to play as them, and at random points during fights, your heritage would take over you. That would give you bonuses and disadvantages and you can't control the transformation (but it wouldn't strip your control of the char).
No matter what they transform into (cliche demons, or have their personality inverted or something like that), the implications of this curse on the lifes of that people already sound more intriguing and interesting to me than anything that horse-head mentality could ever give.

kabaliero

kabaliero

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
1 no
2 no

i can't take seriously something with normal human body but irrationally animal HEAD
it doesn't take just 3 fingers instead of 5 to make it believable, sorry starwars (and all the 80's stuff)

Edited by kabaliero, 21 November 2012 - 06:24 AM.

• Chuggo likes this

Few

Few

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
NO, NO and NO again to this awful disney fantasy! If there are examples of this trash in PE I will be very upset indeed!
  • Chuggo likes this

Juneau

Juneau

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I voted, yes and yes.

There is nothing wrong with Char/Krogan/Goblin etc.. There visually different, move differently and armour is donned differently and with different abilities.

As for Human, I find them boring but that's just my personal opinion on it there is no specific reason why - It's just you know, I'm Human and I fancy playing an elf/dwarf/weird combination of cat/man/dog/lizzard etc...

wanderon

wanderon

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1267 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Why would you word your poll question as "would you tolerate" as opposed to "would you like" are you afraid of the results of "would you like" and think "would you tolerate" is going to appear to be more supportive or are you just another political science student learning the ins and outs of skewing poll results to suit your purpose? :no:

I voted to explain myself so as not to indicate any support for the mutant ninja turtle concept and to explain that while putting such a race in the game would not keep me from buying it that I mostly disapprove.

And no I do not find humans boring or otherwise lacking in any way shape or form in any CRPG I am interested in playing - in fact I actually AM a human and anything you have heard to the contrary is mere speculation. :disguise:

Augusta Corvina

Augusta Corvina

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

(granted I gave up on finding a game that allowed me to play a naga/lamia).

Well Warcraft 3 TFT has some naga missions.
Plus NWN2 introduced pureblood yuan-tis as a playable race. They don't have tails per se(would've been awsome if they had) but in your head you still know that they are snake people.
Also HoMM series had naga units since forever.

RTS games don't count plus the Naga in WC3 weren't a full fledged faction. That and I was thinking of games where I get to be the character, not some army commander in an RTS. :)

Also yes I know of the Yaun-Ti pureblood thing in NWN2's expansion(I played them a lot), but they aren't what I'm after. :(

necromate

necromate

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Why would you word your poll question as "would you tolerate" as opposed to "would you like" are you afraid of the results of "would you like" and think "would you tolerate" is going to appear to be more supportive or are you just another political science student learning the ins and outs of skewing poll results to suit your purpose? :no:

I voted to explain myself so as not to indicate any support for the mutant ninja turtle concept and to explain that while putting such a race in the game would not keep me from buying it that I mostly disapprove.

And no I do not find humans boring or otherwise lacking in any way shape or form in any CRPG I am interested in playing - in fact I actually AM a human and anything you have heard to the contrary is mere speculation. :disguise:

I worded it like that becouse I was interested in the number of people who don't care and those who refuse the idea alltogether.

wanderon

wanderon

• Members
  • 1267 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I worded it like that becouse I was interested in the number of people who don't care and those who refuse the idea alltogether.

And offering the option of "I don't care" didn't occur to you?

Or were you perhaps more interested in getting both the "I don't care" vote and the "yes I'd like that" vote lumped together in an effort to make it look like there might be more support for the premise you are promoting? :cat:
  • Chuggo likes this

necromate

necromate

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

And offering the option of "I don't care" didn't occur to you?

Or were you perhaps more interested in getting both the "I don't care" vote and the "yes I'd like that" vote lumped together in an effort to make it look like there might be more support for the premise you are promoting? :cat:

XD well, I started the topic around midnight, at that time I was already worn out a bit, also it's my first topic ever created on any forums, sorry for the inconveniences.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1364 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
yay for catgirls :shifty:
i voted yes for the lulz

Edited by teknoman2, 21 November 2012 - 07:13 AM.

wanderon

wanderon

• Members
  • 1267 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

XD well, I started the topic around midnight, at that time I was already worn out a bit, also it's my first topic ever created on any forums, sorry for the inconveniences.

No problem I am just a bit fixated on how poorly the majority of polls posted on this forum seem to be constructed (to me) - nothing personal - carry on... :grin:

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3115 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I am all for anthropomorphic animal people. After all when I decide to make a crazy evil character, which I will do sooner or later, I need someone to hate monger and kill on site for no reason. I can't think of a better racial idea to use for this story than this. Heck, I may even feel good about it on the personal level.

In fact, now that I think about it, if furries make it into the game I am going to need to let's play this concept on youtube.

Edited by Karkarov, 21 November 2012 - 07:45 AM.

• Chuggo likes this

Chuggo

Chuggo

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts

I am all for anthropomorphic animal people. After all when I decide to make a crazy evil character, which I will do sooner or later, I need someone to hate monger and kill on site for no reason. I can't think of a better racial idea to use for this story than this. Heck, I may even feel good about it on the personal level.

In fact, now that I think about it, if furries make it into the game I am going to need to let's play this concept on youtube.

Hah! This guy's seeing the glass half full. It might be worth having furries in the game if I could go around slaughtering them for fun. It would be even better if the human/demihuman npcs cheered you for it.
  • Karkarov likes this

Streamlock

Streamlock

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
As long as it is not feline or kanine-I"m down.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anthropomorph, races, khajiit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users