Anthropomorphic animal races in Project Eternity?

What do you think?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Would you tolerate anthropomorphic animal races (like the Khajiit in TES:Skyrim) in Project Eternity?

2. 2. Do you think humans are boring as a playable race? Is it arrogant to place ourselfs into every fantasy setting?

Furries ruin everything. EVERYTHING.

Exterminatus.jpg

NicholsonShiningHeadNod.gif

Off topic, but I just realized what your profile pick is from. You have god-tier taste in graphic novels my friend.

Now lets exterminatus this thread already before it fills up with more furry sockpuppets...

Care to enlighten us?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Furries ruin everything. EVERYTHING.

Exterminatus.jpg

NicholsonShiningHeadNod.gif

Off topic, but I just realized what your profile pick is from. You have god-tier taste in graphic novels my friend.

Now lets exterminatus this thread already before it fills up with more furry sockpuppets...

Care to enlighten us?

Requiem: Vampire Knight, look it up dawg

• Like 1

We seriously still talking about this? Obsidian has already announced what the races will be and SPOILERS: No furries. So furries crawl back to yer wank holes please.

I really dislike forums where people drop in and announce their opinions without bothering to check to which direction the conversation is going. Would it have ruined your day to check the last five or six messages in this thread? In this case, I believe we are talking about "anthropomorphic animal races" such as the skaven. Not pre-catgirls.Perhaps the skaven float somebody's boat, but I think that far more are attracted to elves or dwarves. To answer your questions..

1. Obsidian has announced what the PLAYABLE races are. They have not told if they are the only intelligent races living in the world of Project Eternity. There may be other intelligent races which may be included as playable in the extensions or sequels. After all, BG2 included half-orc, back in the day..

2. AFAIK, Obsidian has not given any descriptions on what aumauas may look like. Orlans description may be anything from "think halflings" to something more exotic. Some of the godlikes are descripted to be "similar to tieflings". Tieflings in turn tend to look like.. well....

3. And that's just for the new races. Then there's the question how Obsidian wants to spin the established races. How otherworldly will elves and dwarves be like? Are elves just pointy-eared anorexic humans or will the artists and writers intentionally make them more foreign appearance and culture-vise? If you think about it, the Forgotten Realms setting had drows, Elfquest had elves to be originally highly scientific race among cavemen like humans. In both cases, you wouldn't choose to think elf just as "human with infravision and other enchantments", which tends to be my view when choosing a race. I would hope that Obsidian would look farther than that, but.. oh well.

Edited by ijusten
  • Like 1

"I saw that argument was useless and said no more; there is no use arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus one."

-Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Pirates of Venus (1934)

Calm down, it's just a precaution.

The fact that PE was Kickstarted mean devs will listen to fans. The scary part is - the devs will listen to fans. So better quench furry cancer before it growns to the point when some dev may accedently look at it and say: "Well, if people want it..."

• Like 1

MzpydUh.gif

I really dislike forums where people drop in and announce their opinions without bothering to check to which direction the conversation is going. Would it have ruined your day to check the last five or six messages in this thread? In this case, I believe we are talking about "anthropomorphic animal races" such as the skaven. Not pre-catgirls.Perhaps the skaven float somebody's boat, but I think that far more are attracted to elves or dwarves. To answer your questions..

Indeed. The latter style (though it is pretty cute ;) ) has no place in a game like PE. I'd really love to see something like the Skaven in PE but there are other options too. Take for example Rakshasa, demonic entities that can very much be described as anthro felines. Also a very commonly used antagonist in DnD settings. I even remember a comic set in the planescape universe that showed various demonic races, among them a wolf like anthro race. Or think about the Eternal Hunting Grounds in Planescape. A whole dimension with animal and animal like beings.

What I am getting at is this: the only limit is really imagination. Adding some anthro races can only enrich a world, not because it is a beast race, but because it adds variety to the usual cast of dwarves and elves.I am not even talking about having them as playable races, although that would be sweet, but NPC races that add to the cultural diversity of the world by featuring characteristics that differ from human society whle at the same time retaining some relatable traits.

Personally I am playing mostly human characters because I can relate best to them, for obvious reasons :D I don't think humans are boring at all. You can make them interesting and different from the norm by giving them a culture and behavioral patterns that feature strange concepts or play with common ones in a new and exciting way. That being said, you don't even need any other race except humans to make a world interesting, but it sure doesn't hurt to have entities that also differ from humans on the outside.

• Like 1

The fact that PE was Kickstarted mean devs will listen to fans. The scary part is - the devs will listen to fans. So better quench furry cancer before it growns to the point when some dev may accedently look at it and say: "Well, if people want it..."

The thing is, ideas are very easy to have. It's the execution that matters. There are boring films where planets explode and exiting films where the main character never leaves a phone booth.

If devs decided to add races that weren't just "humans with three fingers and red skin", they wouldn't do so because "that's what furries like". They are going to go along with what THEY like. What worked in earlier games that P:E is taking influence from and what worked in p&p's. And let me tell you; sex dolls with fur aren't a big part of that. But animalistic races are.

EDIT. Also, in case it wasn't blindingly obvious, I do like races that have vast differences to the main line (that is, humans). As I have mentioned several times, I dislike that the difference between elves and humans are in many games the same differences as WASP vs. Chinese second generation immigrant to USA. Eg. not huge.

Edited by ijusten
  • Like 1

"I saw that argument was useless and said no more; there is no use arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus one."

Care to enlighten us?

Like Jezz said. It's a french comic that used to run in Heavy Metal. It is literally the baddest ass thing ever conceived by man. Give it a read.

Wait, I think I saw it a while ago, isn't it with a female hero who has ridiculous proportions on the cover ?

Ohter than that, most arguments I see are "it will attract a community I don't like to the game" well guess what, any animal will, having combat means you might attract crazy peoples bent on murdering others. Necromancy ? Will attract necrophiles. And so on.

Plus the whole thing might be quite limited if no beast/athro race is included. I mean you guys have a problem with minotaurs being in the game ?

It's perfectly fine to kill furries. We're down with that.

It's being asked to talk to them. Or rather, being asked to do anything with them that begins with the letters "rel".

I do not want to relate, relation, relay, relax, release, rely, relieve, relinquish, relish, or relationship/relative furies (yes nouns are verbs now). Ever. I want them out of my sight or dead.

Edited by anubite

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

>I do not want to relate, relation, relay, relax, release, rely, relieve, relinquish, relish, or relationship/relative furies (yes nouns are verbs now). Ever. I want them out of my sight or dead.

That's perfectly acceptable way to roleplay a prejudiced character.

• Like 2

Note that mythology had anthropomorphic races. Minotaurs? Medusae? Anubis? Ergo, the conclusion that developers must be lazy when they draw upon such concepts is a mental waste product. Personally, I have no problem with a "furry" type character race, although they should have a suitable origin story (like a god created them). That being said, I voted 'no' for this game.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Note that mythology had anthropomorphic races. Minotaurs? Medusae? Anubis? Ergo, the conclusion that developers must be lazy when they draw upon such concepts is a mental waste product. Personally, I have no problem with a "furry" type character race, although they should have a suitable origin story (like a god created them). That being said, I voted 'no' for this game.

I can't think of any mythology where anthropomorphic races are the good guys, although you're welcome to give some counterexamples. Even then, I'd guess the good anthropomorphic guys are the minority among mythology. So what do you want to imply? We're fine with slaughtering them.

I can't think of any mythology where anthropomorphic races are the good guys, although you're welcome to give some counterexamples. Even then, I'd guess the good anthropomorphic guys are the minority among mythology. So what do you want to imply? We're fine with slaughtering them.

First, depending on the source, Medusa was a normal human that was cursed with the snakes. By another source, she was one of three sisters. Hardly a race, even if having strange hair alone counts!

Second, Minotaur was a singular freak of nature, who got locked in the labyrinth because he was related to the king. Again, not a member of race of minotaurs.

And Anubis, of course, was a god.

I think the problem is really in our points of view - our ancestors thought even normal animals were intelligent and might have their own agendas (in Red Riding Hood, for example, the wolf was able to talk to the girl, operate the tools in the cabin and dress himself in grandma's clothes, then change his voice so that it wouldn't be recognised ). Japanese believed that certain animals could take human forms to carry out their own plans. Foxes are often mentioned, but also other animals. In African stories, similarly, humans might not realize they were talking to animals if they weren't being observant. In Chinese Journey to the West two of the travellers are actually animals - The Monkey King is somesort of hero to a clan of monkeys, another is a human reincarnated as a half-pig. Earlier in the thread I noted that in Finland eating bears ("the kings of the forrest") was not done, as this was seen as cannibalism.

Differing "wereanimals" from normal animals would have been absurd, as the normal animals were ALREADY "wereanimals", able to either change their forms (like Japanese foxes) or otherwise interacting with humans as equals (as in many European stories)! The separation to "dumb animals" and "humanlike/magical animals" would only have happened after we started ascending from position of one species sharing their niche in the world to "dominant life-form" - and this would have happened in the early 19th century, long after our mythologies and stories would have been set into stone.

Wait, I think I saw it a while ago, isn't it with a female hero who has ridiculous proportions on the cover ?

Ohter than that, most arguments I see are "it will attract a community I don't like to the game" well guess what, any animal will, having combat means you might attract crazy peoples bent on murdering others. Necromancy ? Will attract necrophiles. And so on.

Plus the whole thing might be quite limited if no beast/athro race is included. I mean you guys have a problem with minotaurs being in the game ?

Actually, I have no idea where from this avatar came from, just piced from the internets.

Also, necrophiles does not roam internet and demand to put dead girls and boys you could have sex into the games\cartoons\moveies\books\everything else and demand that people be more acceptable to the issue of relationship with the recently dead. Guess who do?

• Like 1

MzpydUh.gif

EDIT: This was double post due to the forums loading minutes for each page.

Please remove.

Edited by ijusten

[Also, necrophiles does not roam internet and demand to put dead girls and boys you could have sex into the games\cartoons\moveies\books\everything else and demand that people be more acceptable to the issue of relationship with the recently dead. Guess who do?

If somebody has asked stuff like that in this thread, it has escaped my notice. Mostly people are asking for more exotic races and others are denouncing them as furries.

At no point has anybody mentioned romances or actually any sort of relationships. At worst examples have been to Elder Scrolls - was there a lot of yiffing in those games that I failed to see?

Edited by ijusten
  • Like 2

First, depending on the source, Medusa was a normal human that was cursed with the snakes. By another source, she was one of three sisters. Hardly a race, even if having strange hair alone counts!

Second, Minotaur was a singular freak of nature, who got locked in the labyrinth because he was related to the king. Again, not a member of race of minotaurs.

And Anubis, of course, was a god.

I think the point just flew over your head like a harpy on a mission. These are concepts that have found their way into modern games. Is that designer laziness? No.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Care to enlighten us?

Like Jezz said. It's a french comic that used to run in Heavy Metal. It is literally the baddest ass thing ever conceived by man. Give it a read.

Could have been that descriptions is pretty vague. It might not be your thing though, it's pretty stylized.

The furries are secondary to the argument I think. I mean clearly we've seen in this thread evidence that even talk of furry races attracts furries, and I think we can all agree that furries are abhorrent mutants. The main discussion here is whether or not the animal head-human body archetype is tired, and under which circumstances.

This is a very valid point I hadn't thought of. Evil guys is one thing, but I think it may be when you have playable good guy human-animals that they cross into furry territory. Is this a compromise we can all agree on? That furries can be in the game as long as we cant play them, and get to slaughter them?

Edited by jezz555

I agree, this is exactly what scares about this thread.

Can't think of any... :)

:)

:D

XD

X..D

Egypt: every god

Greek: Pan (he's a good guy, but actually many of Satan's descriptions were based on him) and the satyrs, centaurs, all kinds of creatures with good intentions (and also bad) many gods took animal form now and then

Catholic: Angels and also Archangels, and God talks trough Baalam's ass (the animal)

Hinduism: Ganesha the elephantheaded god

All kinds of totemic and shamanic cults & religions: bear spirits, leopard spirits who took humanlike form

actually EVERY mythology ever existed contained gods/spirits etc good or bad who could at least shapeshift into animals or ware partly animals themeslves

I'm not saying that they ware/are majority, just that they are widespread.

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves: You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin (RIP!)

abominations, abominations all them. Failed experiments or god had sex with a donkey and behold unicorn, yes. I have to agree that even if intelligent, such creature should not be member of a species, but either an accident sort of. If it has offspring, give us ability to kill it :D

magic021.jpg

You know that even if they're not arch ennemies, you wouldn't have to be friendly with them at all if obsidian give us the liberty to RP the way we like ? Haven't they said you should have the option to refuse and/or kill secondary characters you don't like ?

Heck, I hope we have the option to be mean to elves, dwarves and others aswell.

Actually, I have no idea where from this avatar came from, just piced from the internets.

Also, necrophiles does not roam internet and demand to put dead girls and boys you could have sex into the games\cartoons\moveies\books\everything else and demand that people be more acceptable to the issue of relationship with the recently dead. Guess who do?

I dunno.. Care to enlighten me ? Didn't happen in this thread, we're just debating on the possibility of playing beastmen/anthro

Care to enlighten us?

Could have been that descriptions is pretty vague. It might not be your thing though, it's pretty stylized.

The furries are secondary to the argument I think. I mean clearly we've seen in this thread evidence that even talk of furry races attracts furries, and I think we can all agree that furries are abhorrent mutants. The main discussion here is whether or not the animal head-human body archetype is tired, and under which circumstances.

This is a very valid point I hadn't thought of. Evil guys is one thing, but I think it may be when you have playable good guy human-animals that they cross into furry territory. Is this a compromise we can all agree on? That furries can be in the game as long as we cant play them, and get to slaughter them?

Again, even if they aren't meant as primary ennemies, you'd be free to distrust/despise/dismember them as much as any other race if you're so inclined...