Armour & weapon designs - a plea (part III).

Some of my favorite concepts from movies:

horseman_zps6468887a.png

nazgul_by_allianceelite_zps130103a6.jpg

I find the more simple, dark fantasy designs fairly ideal as well as historical mail and other armors. I would also suggest a system of layering the characters' attire so that things like customizable tabbards and cloaks could be worn over armor, etc. The more options the better. Also boots with spurs look really cool, you might want to consider such small, frequently overlooked cosmetic features.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And we have a new piece of concept art to discuss :

pe-cultures-1200x657.jpg

I'm glad to see that the team has went the extra mile; as I've mentioned before (in this post), contrasting cultural visual identities are, to me, the best way to ensure that the world feels alive. I do hope that the arms & armour will also look unique for each culture.

I really like the Turkish inspired Ixamitl designs, rather indifferent about the Aedyrans though.

Edited by Karranthain

I thought this was relevant to the topic, so I decided to post it on top of the pictures of the Polish koncerz, a sword used by the Hussars in the article back there.

collection_koncerz.jpg

Koncerz_i_pochwa_vert-205x853.jpg

Koncerz_vert_angled_view-204x360.jpg

Koncerz.png

The koncerz was very similar to the estoc, being used for largely the same purpose; namely, to pierce through plate. Estocs are probably going into PE if this piece of concept art is anything to go by:

pe-godlike-earth-fem.jpg

So I hope that the koncerz will be in as a different civilization's take on this type of weapon.

Estocs are probably going into PE if this piece of concept art is anything to go by:

I thought someone from the dev team had jumped into that update thread (with that godlike concept art in it) and confirmed that estocs were a weapon they're putting into the game. Alas... I have failed to locate such a post. T_T

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Estocs are probably going into PE if this piece of concept art is anything to go by:

I thought someone from the dev team had jumped into that update thread (with that godlike concept art in it) and confirmed that estocs were a weapon they're putting into the game. Alas... I have failed to locate such a post. T_T

Josh confirmed it in this thread

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/62316-armour-weapon-designs-a-plea-part-iii/?p=1310830

• Like 1

I like that 2nd pic, Elerond. I have no clue how "practical" it would be but I like the combo of robe-ish garb with the torso armor. It looks nice. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Thanks! I couldn't find the thread, and mistakenly thought it was the update thread. When I couldn't find the post in that thread, I just thought I was imagining things. 8P

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wheren't Landsketch mercenaries rather unique?

IIRC, they were the only ones allowed to dress like that - the permission given them specificly by the king - the reasoning being they have such a crappy and short life, let them enjoy plundering pieces of cloting and combining them.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I agree on the part that it shouldn't be too 'outlandish' like 'epic' purple shining swords etc.

Just the plain and cool steel with diamonds , sapphires etc to make it more beautiful. It can be abit outlandish but not like world of warcraft's uber ugly cataclysmic swords and shizzle.

The armor is also very important, for plate I'd suggest a tight full plate armor, like with the neck protector etc, shields are imo one of the most important things in a whole equip.

Round shields need to be big and round (obvious :D) whereas bucklers (for archers or so) should be small and not so perfect on the artwork.

I remember in Baldur's Gate bigger shields didn't give u a disadvantage only they are heavier, I suggest P.E. should keep in mind that a bigger shield is idd heavier, more protection vs arrows /(fire/icemagic?) but also makes you slower..

In Baldur's Gate a fighter with a sword & shield was pretty epic, just haste and couple of buffs and he couldn't die and also dealt most dmg, which shouldn't be the case imo.

For mages armor etc I'd suggest a bit more of the 'epic' glowing shizzle, like for example a robe with .. lets say fire resi stats gets a small firebolt twirling around the mage or so.

To get the feeling he's really surrounded by magic

• Like 1

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wheren't Landsketch mercenaries rather unique?

IIRC, they were the only ones allowed to dress like that - the permission given them specificly by the king - the reasoning being they have such a crappy and short life, let them enjoy plundering pieces of cloting and combining them.

Yes, Maximilian I allowed them to dress like that because they had such brutal and short lives. In my opinion the combination of completely outrageously colorful fine clothes with plate armor and giant great swords plus large caliber matchlock muskets made the Landsknechts the coolest soldiers that ever walked on the battlefields of Europe.   :w00t:

By the way, its Landsknecht, not sketch. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Is this supposed to be armor? You were almost 3/3 until this showed.

It's quite possible she's supposed to be wearing a bit of leather as opposed to just cloth. As far as video game numbers-abstraction goes, this would be very light armor, if that is the case.

Not to mention, since this thread is "Armour & Weapon Designs," and that 3-pic post was accompanied by absolutely no text, I would have to point out that it's highly possible the point of that pic is the weapon design, rather than "armor."

In other words, whether or not that's technically armor is a distant cousin to the actual point.

valkyrie_by_anndr-d5709cx.jpg

Is this supposed to be armor? You were almost 3/3 until this showed.

In my opinion she wears only adventure gear, so no armour. Although pants look bit too tight, but overall look is quite nice, with dramatic fluttery cape, simple short sword and grim look. And I put it picture here because I would like my adventures look dramatic and nice even without armour and there was not thread for such things and I decided that I will not create one for just one picture, especially when there was already suggestion that we talk about clothing styles that will be in PE in this thread and nobody seemed to mind about that. And I didn't put any explanations in pictures because I thought that everyone here has eyes and intelligence to see what pictures represent by just looking them, but now I see error in my logic and I apologize that.  :)

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 1

I thought this was relevant to the topic, so I decided to post it on top of the pictures of the Polish koncerz, a sword used by the Hussars in the article back there.

Koncerz.png

The koncerz was very similar to the estoc, being used for largely the same purpose; namely, to pierce through plate. Estocs are probably going into PE if this piece of concept art is anything to go by:

I can't believe either could actually be used to pierce through plate. Unless you count going for the joints and splits in the armor.

Mail yeah, could probably go straight through less tight rings, maybe break a badly made ring.

Well.. actually for estoc... maybe, just maybe... if the wielder is very strong and the plate is somewhat weak.

I can't believe either could actually be used to pierce through plate. Unless you count going for the joints and splits in the armor.

Mail yeah, could probably go straight through less tight rings, maybe break a badly made ring.

Well.. actually for estoc... maybe, just maybe... if the wielder is very strong and the plate is somewhat weak.

I dunno... it's kinda like a can-opener (the kind that taps a little triangle flap out of the top of the can). Plate's pretty strong, but if you strike it correctly, at a single point, I'm sure it can be punctured rather easily. That's kind of what blunt things do to it, only in overkill form. Instead of focusing all the force of the length of the sword on the point with a thrust, it just focuses all the mass/weight and force of the weapon's strike into a dense form, forgoing the precision of a puncture with the brute force of armor crushing/destructuralization. Somewhat. I think.

Of course, with no weapon were you probably going to think "Hmm... I'll just not even try to go for openings between armor components, and instead will focus all my attack efforts directly on the most deflective parts of the armor! 8D" Hehe. BUT, I think some weapons were actually intended to puncture plate rather than relying solely on openings between pieces.

You know, there's no need to speculate. It's been tried out, we know that plate is pretty much piercing-resistent. At absolute best, with a stationary target, a good halfswording grip and the perfect landing angle, you'll get a very very tiny hole. You'll get in far enough to perhaps poke the padding underneath. You won't stab the person wearing the armour, period.

Even the often cited "can openers" like military picks or poleaxes didn't penetrate deep enough to hurt too often. Tests suggest that a heavy hit from a poleaxe would likely damage the wearer by sheer impact and shock wave going through armour and body, without actual penetration.

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog