Armour & weapon designs - a plea (part III).

Do you guys realize how stupid these thing look? Not to mention that in a world full of dangerous magic the silly outfits provide as much protection as a paper towel and make as much logical sense as poking out your own eye. >_<:getlost:

Eh, the Russian armor looks a bit silly, but the Conquistador armor looks good.

Second part of your post makes less sense the more I try to read it. Need a bit of clarification on that one.

What clarification? Silly armor does no good against magic....pretty straight forward. Ciphers control the mind and can effortlessly make the dude slit his own throat, regular wizards can freeze him, burn him, etc.....armor won't help there. And yes both of those armors look equally silly, the more I look at them the harder I facepalm. But do take comfort in the fact that they both look a LOT better than the celtic pijamas.

Edited by Darth Trethon

1zq6793.jpg

Femine looking women in replica full plate armours with mixed style

vaarmour3.jpg

Nice looking replica full plate using late 15th century style

IMG_0192.JPG

And additionally original full plate with very nice pointy shoes :)

armour4.jpg

And in PE version of this armours I added magical rune that nullifies all spells that wizards and ciphers can cast as magic is always two way street :biggrin:

Edited by Elerond

Do you guys realize how stupid these thing look? Not to mention that in a world full of dangerous magic the silly outfits provide as much protection as a paper towel and make as much logical sense as poking out your own eye. >_<:getlost:

Eh, the Russian armor looks a bit silly, but the Conquistador armor looks good.

Second part of your post makes less sense the more I try to read it. Need a bit of clarification on that one.

What clarification? Silly armor does no good against magic....pretty straight forward. Ciphers control the mind and can effortlessly make the dude slit his own throat, regular wizards can freeze him, burn him, etc.....armor won't help there. And yes both of those armors look equally silly, the more I look at them the harder I facepalm. But do take comfort in the fact that they both look a LOT better than the celtic pijamas.

I think a lot of people are operating under the assumption that Obsidian's going to not go totally crazy with the caster supremacy stuff.
jcod0.png

Just wanted to say that I'm loving this thread so hard. These pictures are amazing!

Thanks for everyone who posts them.

Edit:

Don't know if these have been posted yet, but:

h2_14.25.1425.jpg

22855-large.jpg

Wheellock firearms were the tools of the wealthy or elite military forces, and this holds especially true for pistols. The two weapons above are examples of what you 16th century knights would have wielded on the battlefield, using volleys of pistol fire to soften up enemy infantry as they charged before impact. As personal firearms, let alone high quality wheellocks, were so expensive, most would be as much works of art as tools of war.

Edited by Diagoras

I think P.E. needs a light-armor shopkeeper NPC named Sophos The Wise, where every few days, the first time you enter his shop, he's wearing a different, awesome piece of gear. One time a hat, another time a mask, another time a shirt. And if you comment to him how much you admire his fashion sense, he'll offer to give them to you - for "very reasonable price" of course. Collect the whole set! :biggrin:

Also, that pic of the armor with the very long "toes." What in the world are the long toes for? I mean, I can see kicking your enemies in the shins or something, but it would be hard to run/fight with those on, I'd think. And running the risk of impaling something too deeply and getting "stuck?"

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Also, that pic of the armor with the very long "toes." What in the world are the long toes for? I mean, I can see kicking your enemies in the shins or something, but it would be hard to run/fight with those on, I'd think. And running the risk of impaling something too deeply and getting "stuck?"

They're called sabatons, and they were tapered like that (à la poulaine) because that was the fashion of the time. As simple as that.

Also, you wouldn't walk very much in them. Full plate was almost exclusively used by cavalry troops.

Arsen_5104_f14_detail2.jpg

Poulaines, also called crakows.

Edited by Agelastos

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

Oh...sabatons. I don't think I've seen such with that kind of extremely long toe before. Usually they seem more like short claws, not foot long rod spikes. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Oh...sabatons. I don't think I've seen such with that kind of extremely long toe before. Usually they seem more like short claws, not foot long rod spikes. :)

This particular kind was popular in the 14th and 15th centuries.

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

Polish Winged Hussar armor (mid 17th century).

Polish_Hussar_half-armour_Winged_Riders.jpg

Roman-style parade armor of Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor (mid 16th century).

romana_armour01.jpg

• Like 3

Yes to all above amours except some strange-looking bronze-age Russian(?) one (out of date, definitely) and this one:

AF3MA.jpg

Such outfit could be appropriate for wealthy citizen or for freelancer when he is proposing himself for the job or when he is on guard duty, but such parrotish and impractical for off-road journey outfit is no-use for adventurer, imo. Aside from said - pretty much dislike this European fashion. And it's too late one for the setting, imo.

Edited by SGray

The lancknecht fashion is exactly right for the "time" of the setting, actually. Of course, nobody says they should adopt everything about the historical period.

(and shame people don't like the Siberian one. :) It's anachronistic, sure, but fnatasy universes usually have several cultures in very different stages of cultural evolution, so it might work for some kind of barbarians)

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

Such outfit could be appropriate for wealthy citizen or for freelancer when he is proposing himself for the job or when he is on guard duty, but such parrotish and impractical for off-road journey outfit is no-use for adventurer, imo. Aside from said - pretty much dislike this European fashion. And it's too late one for the setting, imo.

It's definitely not "too late". Not by much, in any case. That looks like a late 15th/early 16th century landsknecht (mercenary) outfit (at least if your remove that ridiculous makeup), which would be perfect for P.E.

Also, "adventurers" often wore very garish outfits during the Renaissance. Far more so than the nobility, at least during the Counter-Reformation.

Edit: Ach! Beaten to it.

Edited by Agelastos

Yes to all above amours except some strange-looking bronze-age Russian(?) one (out of date, definitely) and this one:

AF3MA.jpg

Wealthy citizen? It's pretty much the usual Landsknecht equipment, and they were not exceptionally healthy. They were mercenaries after all. Also, as the guy who walks around in exactly this outfit: it's extremely comfortable, flexible and practical. Also it's not really parrotish, it's simply colorful, which was about right for that timeperiod. Also:

lager-lk7.jpg

lager-lk8.jpg

How is this not badass?

I think P.E. needs a light-armor shopkeeper NPC named Sophos The Wise, where every few days, the first time you enter his shop, he's wearing a different, awesome piece of gear. One time a hat, another time a mask, another time a shirt. And if you comment to him how much you admire his fashion sense, he'll offer to give them to you - for "very reasonable price" of course. Collect the whole set! :biggrin:

:biggrin::ban: Hahaha, you made my day! :bow: "For a VERY reasonable price, my dear... :dancing: "

It's definitely not "too late". Not by much, in any case. That looks like a late 15th/early 16th century landsknecht (mercenary) outfit (at least if your remove that ridiculous makeup), which would be perfect for P.E.

You're exactly right. Except that it's not make-up. It's a death mask which my group wore to justify resistance to magic. The group put it on in a little ceremony and after that the mask would absorb one magic spell. After the battle the mask had to be removed in another small ceremony, so that the magic spell wouldn't escape and harm us anyway. The mask says: Nervi belli pecunia infinita - Unlimited money is the tendon of war.

Edited by SophosTheWise
  • Like 2

Elan_song.gif

Siberian one. :) It's anachronistic, sure, but

Not only anachronistic, but strange picture itself. One layered lamellar bone(?) (wooden?) scales - too little protection against direct hit as for heavy armor, but it's made unwieldy, cause no any belt intended - therefore no flexibility there. Could be justified if it's ethnic for some very northern sub-nation, if it's really unavoidable to have really thick clothes in addition to armor and under-armor.

Axe from stone or bone near the spear with clearly steel tip don't add much realism too ) Same with much-work-involved leather/wooden shield without steel reinforcements if steel is available. Such outfit could be made in extreme harsh of resources and lack of producing industry - distant coastal tribes or smth similar (abundance of whale bones, abundance of time, lack of wood lack of metal).

Also, "adventurers" often wore very garish outfits during the Renaissance. Far more so than the nobility, at least during the Counter-Reformation.

Adventurers =/= mercenaries, which wore very garish outfits indeed.

It's pretty much the usual Landsknecht equipment

Doubt that they wore such outfit everyday, tho.

and they were not exceptionally healthy.

Couldn't argue that )) But they were wealthy compared to average citizen, and all the colors were intended to show that. Grey and brown - peasant, colored - not a poor man, certain color combinations - nobility. Paints were expensive that day. Other cultures and time periods used other things to show off - belts, rings, hats, cloth quality etc.

it's extremely comfortable, flexible and practical.

Comfortable and flexible - yup, for in-city life and short trips between close state-cities by rather good roads. Practical for specified circumstances - possibly, universally - totally nope. I think you could've walked in such clothing in knee-deep grass, cowered with morning dew? Was it good? Or try to tear through a bush? Or would you look at yourself after climbing from some ravine? Or, if to think of PE adventurer - explore some old tomb in such outfit?

it's simply colorful, which was about right for that timeperiod. Also:

lager-lk7.jpg

lager-lk8.jpg

Colorful, but I doubt that colors are authentic ) And if they are authentic in some way - it's at least late 16-th. Also, doubt that in a world of magic colors would be same expensive and remarkably distinguishing as in that time period in Europe.

How is this not badass?

Ehm, nope, parrotish. But that's tastes.

UPD: Love knights from above. Russian and Osman style?

Edited by SGray

Doubt that they wore such outfit everyday, tho.

Of course, but that was the typical Landsknecht clothing. It was also to show off a certain lifestyle, so...

Couldn't argue that )) But they were wealthy compared to average citizen, and all the colors were intended to show that. Grey and brown - peasant, colored - not a poor man, certain color combinations - nobility. Paints were expensive that day. Other cultures and time periods used other things to show off - belts, rings, hats, cloth quality etc.

Of course, but since they raided a lot, they had certain belongings they would have never had. They weren't under any jurisdiction other than their bosses, so they also had a lot of rings, amulets, diamonds - whatever. They were posers with a decent income, yes. And since an adventurer (at least in a D&D sense) is also quite wealthy that would work perfectly.

Comfortable and flexible - yup, for in-city life and short trips between close state-cities by rather good roads. Practical for specified circumstances - possibly, universally - totally nope. I think you could've walked in such clothing in knee-deep grass, cowered with morning dew? Was it good? Or try to tear through a bush? Or would you look at yourself after climbing from some ravine? Or, if to think of PE adventurer - explore some old tomb in such outfit?

It really depends on the timeperiod of Landsknecht/Reisläufer clothing. My character is mid-late 16th century inspired (not based on!) and they were quite excessive and exaggerated. But certain styles were also "modest" with the use of wide clothing. As for the morning dew and the tomb and climbing: no problem. Tearing through a bush is quite difficult for any late 16th century dude. But that doesn't matter, since a Landsknecht would never do that. :p

Elan_song.gif

I think we can agree that it should be mandatory that the following weapons be in Project Eternity:

wheellock_dagger.jpg

Wheellock pistol/dagger.

wheellock_mace.jpg

Wheellock pistol with mace bayonet.

wheellock_axes.jpg

Wheellock pistol/axe. The one on the far right is a throwing axe pistol, unless I'm mistaken

• Like 1

Gotta love those Saxon helmets.

Very nice, indeed. One wonders how often your beard gets snagged by the chainmail hanging down in front of one's face. That'd get irritating right quick. Still, it is a good look.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/