Armour & weapon designs - a plea (part III).

Speaking of chain mail dresses here is full length one, with design that would offer some protection if made of some magical metal like mithril, but probably one should not wear it in fight even then as it limits so much leg movement.

That is most certainly not made of metal chain. It's sequined fabric.

Besides, you might as well propose a chainmail hobble-skirt.

It is acctually made from real metal if I am understanding correctly fashion blogs that speak about it.

But your are correct it has very bad design to work as an armour.

Stuff from games, first one from a Pike and Shotte box cover. Set way later than P:E (check out the newfangled flintlock pistols), but I take what I can get:

WGP-09_Cuirassiers_box_cover.jpg

Next, wheellock cavalry from Shogun 2. They're using wheellock petronels, rather than the pistols which would be used by cavalry in P:E, though who knows? It's not like a weapon halfway between a pistol and an arquebus is waiting on some technical innovation before somebody invents it.

ss_789de0b38516c3c1fc0d6a421d0d0f4fee37375c.1920x1080.jpg

And some matchlock Samurai, complete with lens flare.

zj3MH.jpg

sb6h.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but putting belly buttons on metal armor is about as silly as putting nipples on the Batsuits. I'm not talking about sexism or anything. It just looks ridiculous to me. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You know what I'd like? A game that deals with armor encumbrance realistically.

You'd travel with pack mules for your stuff and only wear and carry gear appropriate to the circumstances. This would make room for a much wider range of viable armor for different circumstances, and open up possibilities for interesting tactical gameplay; for example, ambushing a group of enemies who are not prepped for battle - i.e., have their battle armor packed up for transport rather than on their backs, and are unarmed or only lightly armed - would give a real advantage. Being at the receiving end of such an ambush could make for interesting challenges too.

Naturally the UI would have to accommodate for this, letting set up different armors and carried inventories e.g. for city, bushwacking, or pitched battle, and switch between them without having to manually click-n-drag every piece of gear. So you'd wear light leather armor form wilderness scouting or caving, ordinary clothing with maybe a dagger hidden in a boot for the city, and your best and heaviest armor if you were girding your loins for a pitched battle.

I'd be surprised if P:E was the game to actually do this; it would very much break with cRPG convention and the "Infinity engine" inspiration, but one can always dream...

• Like 5

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Well I think it could be interesting, and certainly more realistic than going down into a dungeon in some of the fancy armors posted on this thread, or fighting a siege in your loincloth...

different kits for different circumstances..

as long as it was quick and easy to do so it wouldn't be a chore

I haven't checked in on these threads in a while. Are we (by which I mean people other than myself,) still just nodding in agreement that all fantasy game armor but chainmail and steel plate is unrealistic and should not be present despite the fantasy setting?

You mean the people who want us to go caving in a full suit of plate?

Well, you can go caving in leather armor, but it's bound to be useless. There are few/no historical records of leather armor, not only because it didn't survive (many leather accessories did!), but also because it doesn't really protect. If you boil leather and form it, yes, but it's still useless (and even HEAVIER - I've worn it) than plate armor. The argument that leather is cheaper than metal plate is, by the way, bull****.

Edited by SophosTheWise
  • Like 1

Elan_song.gif

Well, you can go caving in leather armor, but it's bound to be useless. There are few historical records of leather armor, not only because it didn't survive, but also because it doesn't really protect. If you boil leather and form it, yes, but it's still useless (and even HEAVIER - I've worn it) than plate armor.

Perhaps padded armor should replace the default leather armor as a light armor?

From the pictures I've seen it doesn't look half-bad either.

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Well, you can go caving in leather armor, but it's bound to be useless. There are few historical records of leather armor, not only because it didn't survive, but also because it doesn't really protect. If you boil leather and form it, yes, but it's still useless (and even HEAVIER - I've worn it) than plate armor.

Perhaps padded armor should replace the default leather armor as a light armor?

From the pictures I've seen it doesn't look half-bad either.

Yes, padded armor it is. During the medieval times, poorer troops were often armored with a Gambeson.

By the way, not that people misunderstand me: of course leather protection existed throughout history, but at the technology level of PE it didn't and also it doesn't really make any sense. Most of the historically proven leather protection is pretty useless against pretty much anything.

Btw

Cheap plates from an armory 2 mm: 131,25 Joule

Additional info:

(Mailänder Harnisch 2 mm: 192,5 Joule

Gotische Harnisch 2mm: 262,5 Joule

Billige Rüstung 3 mm: 225 Joule

Mailänder Harnisch 3 mm: 330 Joule

Gotischer Harnisch 3 mm: 450 Joule)

Compared to:

Leather: 30 Joule

Cuir boille: 40 Joule

What kind of blow weapons deal:

Sword: 60 - 130 Joule

Longbow: 80 Joule

Crossbow: up to 200 Joule

Edited by SophosTheWise

Elan_song.gif

Yes, padded armor it is. During the medieval times, poorer troops were often armored with a Gambeson.

By the way, not that people misunderstand me: of course leather protection existed throughout history, but at the technology level of PE it didn't and also it doesn't really make any sense. Most of the historically proven leather protection is pretty useless against pretty much anything.

Now that I think about it, padded armor actually has far more aesthetic potential than leather armor.

Why is it that padded armor like gambeson is so often omitted completely in fantasy? Is it just because leather is a more "believable" material to use in armor than plain old cloth? (Although many padded armors actually had plates sewn into them)

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

If you're going to battle, go in style :

Now that's a helmet.

Have to say, when I read of Black Prince in his namesake black armor, I was thinking a lot less rainbow like appearance.

Black plate armour looks truly amazing, I wish we could use it in PE. Case in point :

2418032741_0527e14d1b_o.jpg

9pnpzm.jpg

Edited by Karranthain
  • Like 3

That cape with the pauldrons over it looks pretty damned cool. Aristocratic.

But how do those pauldrons move without digging uncomfortably into one's back?

They make it look hard to take an overhead swing.

Does anyone have any informational links about armor?

I found these two vaguely interesting ones.

The Function of Armor in Medieval and Renaissance Europe

How a Man shall be Armed

medieval_combat_by_ryanryzzo-d3eqo21.jpg

Quilted armor in use.

15th_century_infantry_by_ryanryzzo-d3ekyx4.jpg

Variety is fun.

german_knight_by_ryanryzzo-d5delrj.jpg

A German Knight with an itchy nose.

Edited by GhoulishVisage
  • Like 1

That cape with the pauldrons over it looks pretty damned cool. Aristocratic.

But how do those pauldrons move without digging uncomfortably into one's back?

They make it look hard to take an overhead swing.

I think moving in that armour is not necessary, because it's not infantry. The spikes indicate it's for cavalry :)

Elan_song.gif

If you're going to battle, go in style :

Now that's a helmet.

Have to say, when I read of Black Prince in his namesake black armor, I was thinking a lot less rainbow like appearance.

Black plate armour looks truly amazing, I wish we could use it in PE. Case in point :

2418032741_0527e14d1b_o.jpg

9pnpzm.jpg

Now that is just nothing short of epic!

magic021.jpg