Armour & weapon designs - a plea (part III).

Speaking of chain mail dresses here is full length one, with design that would offer some protection if made of some magical metal like mithril, but probably one should not wear it in fight even then as it limits so much leg movement. :)

GIANNI+VERSACE+CHAIN+MAIL+DRESS+C+EARLY+80S+(3).JPG

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 1

Hey, thanks!

@knee: yes, it could, but it does seem like it's attached to the pants all over its surface. Ancient greaves for example do go up over the patella, but not quite that far and they do indeed provide a comfortable range of movement.

Found a version which corrects this mistake; it's pretty nice overall I must say - the bow's much better as well and the armour looks neat.

swr_04.jpg

Hey, thanks!

@knee: yes, it could, but it does seem like it's attached to the pants all over its surface. Ancient greaves for example do go up over the patella, but not quite that far and they do indeed provide a comfortable range of movement.

Found a version which corrects this mistake; it's pretty nice overall I must say - the bow's much better as well and the armour looks neat.

Even though I find it very odd. It has the same problems that basically every fantasy armour has. It doesn't know what to do with the legs. It's always a weird skirt-leggings-combination.

Elan_song.gif

Hey, thanks!

Even though I find it very odd. It has the same problems that basically every fantasy armour has. It doesn't know what to do with the legs. It's always a weird skirt-leggings-combination.

I don't think that's a skirt/kilt. I think it's just the lower part of the cuirass.

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

Hey, thanks!

I don't think that's a skirt/kilt. I think it's just the lower part of the cuirass.

Indeed, it's the lower part of the scale chest armour. As for the legs - there's just greaves attached to the long boots; which I assume make sense if you need very good mobility.

Love those pics, Diagoras.

I'm not a huge study of armor but it is a subject of interest so I've been very much enjoying all the pics and the variety that people have been posting. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

just dropped by to leave this here

L&J, please welcome:

a Chain Dress!

post-3-13534949375043.jpg

post-3-13534949452422.jpg

post-3-13534949702805.jpg

Speaking of chain mail dresses here is full length one, with design that would offer some protection if made of some magical metal like mithril, but probably one should not wear it in fight even then as it limits so much leg movement. :)

GIANNI+VERSACE+CHAIN+MAIL+DRESS+C+EARLY+80S+(3).JPG

Now THAT is armor done right. :yes:

1zq6793.jpg

The Black Prince! Now that's a suit of armor. Man.

Love those pics, Diagoras.

Thanks! It's not letting me edit my post, or else I would modify the note on the first two pictures to note that those two pictures are more depictions of late 16th to early 17th century Reiters/cuirassiers than the era we're aiming for. For the life of me, I can't find a good picture of an early 15th century Reiter or demi-lancer.

Edited by Diagoras

Armor of Nicolaus IV Radziwill (~1555):

Imagine that when it was new, in full sunlight. Man.

Definitely not "stealthy" armor. :lol:

Not really my design style (the color/patterns), but it's bold and pretty nifty nonetheless.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I haven't checked in on these threads in a while. Are we (by which I mean people other than myself,) still just nodding in agreement that all fantasy game armor but chainmail and steel plate is unrealistic and should not be present despite the fantasy setting?

You mean the people who want us to go caving in a full suit of plate?

I haven't checked in on these threads in a while. Are we (by which I mean people other than myself,) still just nodding in agreement that all fantasy game armor but chainmail and steel plate is unrealistic and should not be present despite the fantasy setting?

You mean the people who want us to go caving in a full suit of plate?
No he means the fictional people who are nothing more than a strawman.

Personally I (an advocate of "realistic" armour designs) think [most] of the already established PE armour designs have been perfect.

E.g. Edair

1720298328.jpg

Edited by Barothmuk

just dropped by to leave this here

L&J, please welcome:

a Chain Dress!

That is little improvement over the chainmail bikini. Also it's a skirt.

Speaking of chain mail dresses here is full length one, with design that would offer some protection if made of some magical metal like mithril, but probably one should not wear it in fight even then as it limits so much leg movement.

That is most certainly not made of metal chain. It's sequined fabric.

Besides, you might as well propose a chainmail hobble-skirt.

Edited by AGX-17