Character Ancestry - Add into character creation

Hello all,

Just a thought that would add a lot of detail into character creation... What if we could choose the race of the parents and grandparents of your character, to produce a more diverse character? Ex - human and elf grandparents, human and human parents = 1/4 elvenkind. Thoughts?

I could see this being done with background traits, like in Arcanum, e.g. raised by monks, feral child ect. but otherwise I would think it would just get to confusing and not really add much. I doubt that ancestry in such a diluted form would really even have any noticeable effect anyway.

• Like 3

NWN2: Storm of Zehir had Heritage Feats, which were basically Fallout-/Arcanum-esque traits that you could pick on level 1

I could see this being done with background traits, like in Arcanum, e.g. raised by monks, feral child ect. but otherwise I would think it would just get to confusing and not really add much. I doubt that ancestry in such a diluted form would really even have any noticeable effect anyway.

This.

Like the "Heritage Feats" (Fey and Fiendish) from NWN2: Storm of Zehir. A character with the Fiendish Heritage feat had a small amount of Baatezu or Tanar'ri blood coursing through their veins, granting resistances to poison and spells cast by Good foes, but not enough to be considered Tieflings. It didn't affect the character's appearance in any way, and I'm not sure if it was ever mentioned in dialogue.

If you picked a heritage feat at level one, that would unlock more Fey or Fiendish feats further down the line.

Edited by Agelastos
  • Like 1

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"