What is your favorite natural enviroment in games?

What is your favorite natural enviroment?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite natural enviroment(s)?

2. 2. What natural enviroment(s) you dont like in games?

• Snowy mountains/Icebergs
    • Rocky barren/dry mountains
    • Northern conifer forests
    • Southern deciduous forests
    • Jungles
    • Rocky barren
    • Deserts
    • Tropic Islands
    • Tundra/Taiga
    • Swamps

You failed to mention tunnels, therefore I felt unable to vote.

I am not sure if its not trolling from you but tunnels(if you mean caves and dungeons) can be in any of these enviroments

I never troll. Especially about tunnels.

sonsofgygax.JPG

You failed to mention tunnels, therefore I felt unable to vote.

I am not sure if its not trolling from you but tunnels(if you mean caves and dungeons) can be in any of these enviroments

I never troll. Especially about tunnels.

I am starting to like your sarcasm even more

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Another messed up poll. I don't dislike any terrain => therefore at least some of the votes are invalid => thus the poll is skewed and uninformative.

Besides, where are the rolling steppes and the savanna?

Yeah sorry for that, as I told savanah should be included but there is maximum of answears i can put in, I also want to add other... but I dont understand your problem with not liking any terrain. If you dont actualy like any just dont vote, nobody force you

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I'd like to note that Tundra and Taiga are RADICALLY different environments--Taiga IS "northern conifer forest". So you've got a little duplication going on there.

I find I generally enjoy desert environments the most in games. It's not that deserts are particularly interesting, usually they're pretty boring. It's just that the game developers tend to trot out lots of interesting ingenuity to make the desert look cool, whereas forested areas are often just a lot of green with little variation.

I think you tend to get the least ingenuity in barren rocky environments, though, so I picked that one as my least favorite.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

I like environments that have variability in them and vegetation/plants, so heterogenous forests are my favorite.

I don't like the environments that are plain and are seen very often in rpgs in exactly the same matter, so snow, ice or sand as far the eye can see and nothing for the eyes to enjoy, no nature, no secrets or dangers that you cannot see beforehand.

I agree with Monte Carlo that tunnels definately should be in the vote. I would have chosen it as "I don't like it"-option, because that is the only thing I have seen so much in games that i like it even less than flat, samecolored, vegetationsless backgrounds. Unless they are very variable and innovative of course.

Edited by Rink

I am the author of cult old-skool RPG "Fighting in Tunnels."

Fighting in tunnels is the quintessence of what P:E should be about.

Ugh. I'm so sick of dungeon crawling. I prefer more urban settings.

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

I like or dislike all environments depending on how well they are executed by the artists. Overall, I prefer the wooded and/or mountainous terrain. Deserts and tundra are too monotonously open and lack the visual interest to make journeying across them memorable, but areas with too many obstacles create serious pathfinding issues. Here's hoping that we have few to none of those in P:E.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I am the author of cult old-skool RPG "Fighting in Tunnels."

Fighting in tunnels is the quintessence of what P:E should be about.

Ugh. I'm so sick of dungeon crawling. I prefer more urban settings.

Curb crawling? : :lol::

Sounds like one of those stupid memes where attention-starved people make fools of themselves in public.

I like it!

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

Yes to snowy areas\mountains, northern forests, tundra and such, and jungles. I also quite enjoy (and there is no such option in the poll) simple lush meadows and plains probably with some crops and\or flowers. Like in Witcher's 3rd Act. I think it was the third. The one with all the peasants and fish people.

On the other hand I usually don't like swamps - it's easy to get lost there. Plus they are dark and most often than not I have to adjust brightness just to see where I'm going.

Northern forests, snowy mountains, and deserts (see Anauroch).

I don't like barren, rocky places or swamps though.

Snowy mountains and deserts are barren, rocky places (unless the desert is dune-y. Even the Sahara has rocky outcroppings, mountains and such, however.)

My favorite would have to be sandy deserts.

Something about them I always thought was cool, ancient civilizations lost under the sand, robed travelers trekking the sand, wide open skies. And desert cities, historical desert cities are always great looking.

Other than that, I love highlands, swamps, and tropical islands. Tropical islands in shallow warm waters, highlands with old castles and ruins, and swamp towns.

I like about all landscapes, though, anything can be made to look beautiful. Only one I like the least would probably be rocky badlands, but even those can look really cool if done right.

Edited by drake heath

I have a bizarre attachment to deserts. Ever since I was a little kid, I've been fascinated by desert civilization from all parts of the globe. As such, desert areas are usually my preferred play areas in the games that have them. That said, pretty much any environment can be interesting, so I wasn't really sure what to select for my least favorite. I eventually went with northern coniferous forest since those tend to be pretty bland in most games. They can be really beautiful in real life, but I can't think of a single RPG with a memorable coniferous forest.

I've seen snowy environments in games that were awesome, which means I'll love them. I've also seen snowy environments in games that were terrible. It all depends on how well they deal with all that white. If it's too featureless/textureless, it's like wandering around a blank sheet of paper with the occasional rock and tree. Bleh. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I love rolling green hills and forested mountains. Then again, anything that isn't barren feels more lively and attractive then empty plains with oddly shaped rock #12.

I also like rivers because water is a source of reflection which can be used to great effect in visual design.

• Like 2

I'm fine with everything, even swamps, although I can't think of any time in a game when I found them convincing and not dreary (in a bad way). Although I'm a big fan of deserts, I like them less in isometric. All in all, rocky barren mountainous area is best for all moods, and I'd like to see a tundra done well with sinuous terrain effects. It all comes down to execution, except for swamps, they are a bane for every game. No even swamps.

Edited by MattH