What is your favorite natural enviroment in games?

What is your favorite natural enviroment?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite natural enviroment(s)?

2. 2. What natural enviroment(s) you dont like in games?

• Snowy mountains/Icebergs
    • Rocky barren/dry mountains
    • Northern conifer forests
    • Southern deciduous forests
    • Jungles
    • Rocky barren
    • Deserts
    • Tropic Islands
    • Tundra/Taiga
    • Swamps

Hello,

Simple question for forum members. What is your favorite enviroment in game? I mosty enjoy deep northern woods and swamp areas and particulary hate deserts and I am not big fan of jungles. Like to hear your opinions!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

This poll does not conform to either the Holdridge Life Zones or Köppen climate classification systems, and thus, my preferred climatological conditions are not represented. You've even lumped tundra and taiga (aka Boreal forests) together as though they're the same thing! What about Steppes? What about Mediterranean climates? Alpine meadows even! This is an outrage, sir! An outrage!

I'm kidding, of course. I just don't want to see the game shoehorned into any stereotypical fantasy game environment.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

ah right, he did however indeed forget urban environment, which would be one of my favs, especially if it is so full packed and lively as in Assassins Creed

depends if you consider it natural of course XD

Edited by Jorian Drake
  • Like 1

IB1OsQq.png

ah right, he did however indeed forget urban environment, which would be one of my favs, especially if it is so full packed and lively as in Assassins Creed

depends if you consider it natural of course XD

Yeah but urban enviroment can be part of any above, thats why I asked about natural ones :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

This poll does not conform to either the Holdridge Life Zones or Köppen climate classification systems, and thus, my preferred climatological conditions are not represented. You've even lumped tundra and taiga (aka Boreal forests) together as though they're the same thing! What about Steppes? What about Mediterranean climates? Alpine meadows even! This is an outrage, sir! An outrage!

I'm kidding, of course. I just don't want to see the game shoehorned into any stereotypical fantasy game environment.

I am sorry that I didnt please you enough (but there is only 10 options possible for each question). I am bad bad poll creator. But you can always post your ideas (as you do) :)

Voted tropical islands for lack of a better option. Actually shoreline/ islands in general, especially if there are boardable ships.

Least favorite would be jungles, takes me out of my European-centric immersion. And noone is ever complaining about the heat despite wearing full metal armor.

I love anything with snow covered mountains forest and landscape. One of the reasons I love Icewind Dale, Skyrim and The Lords of Midnight.

What I can not stand is swamps, they are almost always dark and dreary, it is always a relief to get out of them.

You failed to mention tunnels, therefore I felt unable to vote.

I am not sure if its not trolling from you but tunnels(if you mean caves and dungeons) can be in any of these enviroments

Northern forests that are somewhat dense, kind of dark and mossy, with patches of tall grass. Shaded and cooler forests, with the sun peeking through the treetops. With lakes and creeks and stuff.

On the other side, Arizona type desert I like - those giant rock formations, lakes surrounded by dry cliffs, scrub and cacti. Nothing but sand dunes for miles and miles, not so much.

I find jungles and swamps/bogs generally boring in games, but there's always exceptions.

Rainstorms/stormy weather make all environments better. :p

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I love anything with snow covered mountains forest and landscape. One of the reasons I love Icewind Dale, Skyrim and The Lords of Midnight.

What I can not stand is swamps, they are almost always dark and dreary, it is always a relief to get out of them.

Thats why I like swamp, they are great for dark/creepy atmosphere

Northern forests that are somewhat dense, kind of dark and mossy, with patches of tall grass. Shaded and cooler forests, with the sun peeking through the treetops. With lakes and creeks and stuff.

On the other side, Arizona type desert I like - those giant rock formations, lakes surrounded by dry cliffs, scrub and cacti. Nothing but sand dunes for miles and miles, not so much.

I find jungles and swamps/bogs generally boring in games, but there's always exceptions.

Rainstorms/stormy weather make all environments better. :p

I think rocky baren can be option for Arizona type wasteland

i hate swapms, cause i was never able to actually drown in single one i met in computer games

and i bet deserts\rocky wastes are always a content creator's favorite

Actualy it would be great if there are swamps where you party member have to whatch their steps or get drowned

I generally love the spooky, oppressive feeling of swamps, but hate the annoying enemies that inevitably lurk there.

Remember the carnivorous plants from Witcher and the critters from Diablo 2, Act 3? I try not to.

Also swamps are generally the victim of bad level design, with annoying mazes of islands or long funnels of dry areas for you to follow.

• Like 1

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

I'm a big fan of rocky deserts; arid, windswept plateaus; and badlands.

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

Im not sure if your option of southern deciduous forests covers my favourite environment, which is deciduous woods and rolling fields (like England :D). In fact it looks like the countryside in the first screen shot for PE is this sort of flavour; They just need more oak trees.

Maybe this is what you meant but the southern in the title makes me unsure. Ill just vote for that one anyway.

Also I hate jungles, rocky barren, deserts and snowy mountains. oh and tropic islands.

Warm and vibrant in colour. So I like deserts, jungles, fetid swamps, mediteranean forests. I don't mind a fair amount of fantasy props like fireflies on crack to make things more colourful. Obviously there is MUCH MUCH more that I like... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3939576566016.2166994.1177976320&type=3&l=3a3c19016c

I absolutely despair of cold in games despite how pretty it can be. it's tiem for something else, if I had my way. it's the reason I didn't play icewind dale when it came out, why neverwinter(1) didn't get my love and why I stayed away from skyrim.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Another messed up poll. I don't dislike any terrain => therefore at least some of the votes are invalid => thus the poll is skewed and uninformative.

Besides, where are the rolling steppes and the savanna?

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."