Tigers are truly majestic creatures. Here's an image of a guy wwho tried to make himself a tiger: tigerman.jpgtiger_chinese_horoscope_201111.jpg

The website I found it on is a little disturbing, so I warn you.

Warning: Disturbing

http://thevelvetrock...ess-part-2.html

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I like the Amauan warrior. I find it cool where as the wizard looks really dumb. He should be looking more savage.

Actually I would love to see the Amauan look more like the savages from the 13th Warrior !

http://c.wrzuta.pl/wi10244/0a40367b00068bd84ff8a2b0/trzynasty_wojownik

LET DEM BE KILLIN !

and the orlans... I HOPE they will not look like ferengi.

Maybe they could look like that ;D !

http://www.obviouswinner.com/storage/post-images/human-yoda-1.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1349134650826

Isnt that awesome looking ? Yoda with human skin and a robe ? A fantastic example of Orlan wizards.

I like the Amauan warrior. I find it cool where as the wizard looks really dumb. He should be looking more savage.

Actually I would love to see the Amauan look more like the savages from the 13th Warrior !

http://c.wrzuta.pl/w...ynasty_wojownik

LET DEM BE KILLIN !

and the orlans... I HOPE they will not look like ferengi.

Maybe they could look like that ;D !

http://www.obviouswi...N=1349134650826

Isnt that awesome looking ? Yoda with human skin and a robe ? A fantastic example of Orlan wizards.

I don't think a race can be defined as savages. The way I like to see this is that we can have these kinds of "Aumaua" arcanum028.jpg as well as these kinds of "Aumaua"ill_orc.jpg as well as these kinds of "Aumaua" halforc_s.jpg.

That is to say that the race doesn't define the culture in isolation of other factors. The race plays a part of the overall culture in which we find the Aumaua.

I know that the above pictures are of orcs, please, you don't need to tell me. It was used to illustrate an example.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

My DXdiag:

tigerman.jpg

Okay just no. Nothing about that dude looks proud or majestic. Let's not forget the "furry race" thread had to be locked and that is exactly what Aumaua will be if they turn into cat people. Obsidian, please keep them mostly human and if you have to give them bestial traits make it subtle.

• Like 1

tigerman.jpg

Okay just no. Nothing about that dude looks proud or majestic. Let's not forget the "furry race" thread had to be locked and that is exactly what Aumaua will be if they turn into cat people. Obsidian, please keep them mostly human and if you have to give them bestial traits make it subtle.

Yeah, also lets not forget cat people have been done before (khajit, among others) so I really hope those were fish stripes and not tiger stripes.

• Like 1

Yep....he's the furthest thing from majestic. I just thought it was interesting enough to post. I wouldn't want the Aumaua to look like this guy. Edited by Hormalakh

My DXdiag:

I personally don't mind the design. It can certainly use some significant tweaks but over all it fits a vision that I'd prefer.

My only fear is further down the line it might develop into something more outlandish to make them more "distinct". By that I mean when you look at elves, dwarves and humans they're all largely similar aside from a few subtle yet distinct differences (elves have pointed ears and are more lithe, dwarves are short and stocky etc) however when a 'new' race is added devs feel the need to make them standout more and be more visually distinct so they'll make them something ridiculous like half fish or something.

E.g. Dragon Age. The original qunari design was that they were simply large, muscular humans, with odd coloured eyes, white hair and darker skin. Unfotunately the devs thought this wasn't "distinct" enough so they turned them into giant goat people.

My personal preference for the aumaua would be something like this :

852_2.jpg

Mostly human in shape and complexion however still subtley 'different'.

• Like 3

I agree with most of what your saying Barothmuk and this bits nitpicking but Qunari 'original' and, in lore as of Dragon Age Origins are they have horns. Ogres darkspawn are created from Qunari broodmothers, they're the only ones with horns and the horn stuff has always been in the lore (or the lore as far as any fans had a chance to read). The only reason Sten (or the 2-3 fake ones in the dream stuff in the mage tower) was due to it not 'meshing right' with helmets and they ultimately just upped a human models size.

The DA2, as funny as it is, are actually closer to the original concept and is in line 'with' the lore of Dragon Age. Some of the darkspawn though... they messed up some ****.

Anyway like I said in another thread I like the recent concept art and wasn't expecting some kinda weird half-animal creature. I mean the description literally states they only look somewhat 'different'. Lizardmen aren't somewhat different, there damn giant lizards that 'happen' to walk on 2 legs instead of 4. I get the feeling the tattoo like markings are probbly skin coloring and that with the head-ridge thing I think is 'different' enough with out being lizard men or cat men or whatever.

I like it (and seriously, qunari have always had horns, DAO just failed at it).

Edited by Adhin

Def Con: kills owls dead

I agree with most of what your saying Barothmuk and this bits nitpicking but Qunari 'original' and, in lore as of Dragon Age Origins are they have horns. Ogres darkspawn are created from Qunari broodmothers, they're the only ones with horns and the horn stuff has always been in the lore (or the lore as far as any fans had a chance to read). The only reason Sten (or the 2-3 fake ones in the dream stuff in the mage tower) was due to it not 'meshing right' with helmets and they ultimately just upped a human models size.

The DA2, as funny as it is, are actually closer to the original concept and is in line 'with' the lore of Dragon Age.

Except up until Dragon Age 2 it was never mentioned in the lore. Yes it was the original design (in the original design they also had tails) but in the actual game it was never depicted nor mentioned.

Having massive horns and grey skin doesn't seem like the type of thing you'd forget to mention in the multiple codex entries.

Regardless, I'm not a fan of the horned design.

Heh, yeah true enough, I never got why they all have grey skin in DAO or DA2. DAO said Bronze, DA2 said metallic-hues, bronze, gold, silver... all we ever saw was Grey, and not a metallicy grey.

Anyway I liked there DA2 appearance though it reminds me to much of demons I guess. But other then horns they look like large humans. And really horns isn't as far flung of a feature or to far off what you could otherwise consider a human. Well, or at least I consider horns less weird then a full on lizardman being considered 'relatively human'. That just seems crazy (and I like lizardmen).

I haven't seen the 'original' desgins for the Qunari, but I'm calling BS on the horned apparence always being the intention too, Barothmuk. I understand one (and speical one at that) having the 'rare' genetic quirk of no horns while the rest do, but the other qunari you actually see in DA:O also having it seems odd. I don't know if the metaltic skin tones were abandoned, but it's been decided that "Tal-Vashoth" (ie the Qunari that don't follow the Qun religion) means 'true grey' implying that whole race is generally grey skinned.

As for the Aumaua, I too prefer that other races lean more towards the human/familiar. I think it helps to keep the world a little more believable and less outlandish. I'd really like a colored bit of concept art before I make any judgement other than that.

I haven't seen the 'original' desgins for the Qunari, but I'm calling BS on the horned apparence always being the intention too, Barothmuk. I understand one (and speical one at that) having the 'rare' genetic quirk of no horns while the rest do, but the other qunari you actually see in DA:O also having it seems odd. I don't know if the metaltic skin tones were abandoned, but it's been decided that "Tal-Vashoth" (ie the Qunari that don't follow the Qun religion) means 'true grey' implying that whole race is generally grey skinned.

Heh, yeah true enough, I never got why they all have grey skin in DAO or DA2. DAO said Bronze, DA2 said metallic-hues, bronze, gold, silver... all we ever saw was Grey, and not a metallicy grey.

Except up until Dragon Age 2 it was never mentioned in the lore. Yes it was the original design (in the original design they also had tails) but in the actual game it was never depicted nor mentioned.

Time for another harsh Karkarov opinion.

Here is the thing, screw lore. When lore says you should design your characters to look idiotic, be incompatible with the games gear designs, and over all just not be popular with the average player then it is the lore that needs to change not the design. Anyone with any sense will tell you the DA:O version of quanari was superior. They didn't look completely ridiculous and over the top, you could actually believe they could function as actual "people", and you could relate to them.

DA:2 I had to wonder how the Qunari leader could even move his head considering just one of his horns was bigger than his entire head and neck combined. They looked like miniature Ogres with really small heads, not people. They even had full on claws which suck for holding weapons by the way. You can have horns and not have them be the wing span of a 747. Example: Tieflings have horns.

The DA2 Quanari is just plain bad design.

Edited by Karkarov

DA:2 I had to wonder how the Qunari leader could even move his head considering just one of his horns was bigger than his entire head and neck combined. They looked like miniature Ogres with really small heads, not people. They even had full on claws which suck for holding weapons by the way. You can have horns and not have them be the wing span of a 747. Example: Tieflings have horns.

They literally were miniature ogres. Or more accurately, ogres come from qunari broodmothers. Hurlocks come from humans, genlocks from dwarves, and shrieks from elves.
jcod0.png

They literally were miniature ogres. Or more accurately, ogres come from qunari broodmothers. Hurlocks come from humans, genlocks from dwarves, and shrieks from elves.

Yeah Tamerlane, one problem. Humans don't actually look like Hurlocks. Nor do Dwarves look like Genlocks. So why do Qunari in DA2 look like Ogres?

Um. These are hurlocks:

5oD9V.jpg

Identical in size and proportion to humans. Pretty similar in facial structure, but with some exaggerated features (mostly nose and teeth).

These are a random DA2 qunari grunt and a stupid, stupid looking DA2 ogre:

55DHJ.jpg

Jd7KJ.jpg

The ogre is heavily exaggerated. Much larger body, larger horns, exaggerated ears, etc. The teeth are very different, the nose is pushed up, and the chin is gone, but it's still a recognizably humanoid face. You can draw a lot of obvious connections, but there are far more differences there than between humans and humans with bad skin.

Hurlocks and DAO genlocks are the most like their host species. Shrieks, DA2 genlocks, and especially DAO ogres are the most different. DA2 ogres are in this sort of in-between space. And they look turrible, anyway.

Edited by Tamerlane
jcod0.png

Yeah I think the Qunari looked fine in DA2, there horns weren't that big in general. That and horns tend to be hallow, they're not very heavy, they got thick necks, they'd be fine 'moving their head around'. A lot of the dawkspawn just kind of fell short for me though. And Qunari from DAO where literally tall humans, they had no distinctive feature unless you consider pale skin to be distinctive in which case I must be a hairy qunari!

It's all opinion in the end, and when someones opinion doesn't match your own it doesn't mean they lack any sense. And there where plenty of people wondering why they didn't have horns back when DAO came out. Least folks who where following the game.