Personally, I don't like what the Aumaua look like currently - if that is truly the Aumaua concept sketch. They need to be less like orcs and more like Aumaua. If they're orcish, then just call them Orcs. Don't play this name game without good reason.

Agreed.

I can't quite follow the 'this fictional race looks kinda like another fictional race so don't replace one with the other!' line of thinking. It's not like Auamaua were actually based on Orcs, they're obviously both based on the idea of stronger yet decidedly more feral humanoids. Tolkien **** will already have generic elves and dwarves to play with, after all.

• Like 1

Ha, I didn't even see that ridge on his/her head. But I do see the fish motif.

5696669-head-of-predatory-river-fish--burbot.jpg

The first picture has somewhat pudgy/swollen/roundish (not sure how to describe it) features on the face and I think the colorings are meant to look somewhat like those on fish, not a disease.

From what I can tell from those two pictures they seem ok to me, though I hope the fishy elements will remain subdued or at least consistent (not one aumaua having a "fish mustache" another shark teeth and a third suckers on the hands etc.)

• Like 1

It is a WIP afterall. I do see the fish influence, but I don' tlike hair on my fishes. Get rid of the hair, add some webbed fins (a la Dr. zoidberg) to her head and we may be getting somewhere...

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

It is a WIP afterall. I do see the fish influence, but I don' tlike hair on my fishes. Get rid of the hair, add some webbed fins (a la Dr. zoidberg) to her head and we may be getting somewhere...

Yeah exactly my feeling. If they are fish people they should be less humanoid, no boobs, cold-blooded, fins instead of skin, no groin? alien faces etc...

here is one example (just for inspiration, not completly same)

http://gw2bydc.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/q2.jpg

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo268/CathrinMoon/krait2.png

but I agree that these are little bit too bestial

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I wanted a reptile non-humanoid water thing shark owl Aumakua turtle Hawaiian giant dream character but seeing that this Obsidian's concept I'm digging it. Either you follow Obsidian's dream or you follow your own and get disappointed (another form of it is "having expectations") *shrug*

Though at first glance I thought they were just humans, upon further inspection they are different... and hey, I like it :) they seem cool. Can't say too much more as they don't have any fleshed out Lore yet. But for some reasons I think the Samoan/island coastal discussions might play a part in it, with their already vague "revealed-by-Obsidian" Lore.

Good job Obsidian :)

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

Of course that I am following my dreams? Who are you that you are following dreams of someone else? Jeez. And I am not saying that I will not play game because I dont like look of one race? Ha. And why are there forums If I dont post my opinions about it? And why would Obsidian public these arts if they dont want us to discuss it? And I am not forcing my opinion to anyone. I got better opinion about you Osvir..

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Wha...? You misunderstand (I made myself misunderstood again? Pfft, it happens, sorry), all I'm saying is: My dream is to see Obsidian succeed.

And I am not saying that I will not play game because I dont like look of one race? Ha. And why are there forums If I dont post my opinions about it? And why would Obsidian public these arts if they dont want us to discuss it? And I am not forcing my opinion to anyone.

*looks at my post* I'm sorry if I conveyed some sort of doubt in yourself some way that I did not intend for, but I don't see how you think I questioned anything of this. I'm just saying that "expectations = bad".

EDIT: (Opinion) The coloring of the Naga like creatures (that you posed) could fit as a skin tone for the presented WIP concept art.

http://www.minscandboo.com/quotes.php

Quote: Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legends! Right Boo?
Edited by Osvir

Yeah exactly my feeling. If they are fish people they should be less humanoid, no boobs, cold-blooded, fins instead of skin, no groin? alien faces etc...

here is one example (just for inspiration, not completly same)

http://gw2bydc.files.../2011/07/q2.jpg

http://i382.photobuc...Moon/krait2.png

but I agree that these are little bit too bestial

There are plenty water-loving mammals, too...
jcod0.png

Thank you Hormalakh, I've been catching up and reading through this thread and it's so frustrating seeing people make definitive conclusions based on "concept art" that has been clearly labeled a "work in progress". Please continue with the ideas of what we all feel should and should not be, but I wouldn't exactly take the first two pictures we've seen of this race EVER as absolute.

Me personally...the less human like they are the better. A lot of playable races these days in fantasy universes have gotten very homogeneous and I'd like at least one option that is different. I'm not saying I want to play as a slug but make some variety. That's why you're offering options in the first place isn't it? Honestly I would love to see a game (obviously not happening in this one, but that's totally ok) where one of the player races isn't even bipedal. Again though...please continue with the awesome ideas guys.

• Like 2

Do not criticize a fish for being a turtle when it is, in fact, a fish.

Thank you Hormalakh, I've been catching up and reading through this thread and it's so frustrating seeing people make definitive conclusions based on "concept art" that has been clearly labeled a "work in progress". Please continue with the ideas of what we all feel should and should not be, but I wouldn't exactly take the first two pictures we've seen of this race EVER as absolute.

Me personally...the less human like they are the better. A lot of playable races these days in fantasy universes have gotten very homogeneous and I'd like at least one option that is different. I'm not saying I want to play as a slug but make some variety. That's why you're offering options in the first place isn't it? Honestly I would love to see a game (obviously not happening in this one, but that's totally ok) where one of the player races isn't even bipedal. Again though...please continue with the awesome ideas guys.

You're welcome :)

I was also thinking...this is probably Josh's department or Avellones, but whatever.

What would it be like if there were actually orcs in the universe? Perhaps they are non-intelligent monsters/animals and for anyone to be called an "orc" could be an insult. For an Aumaua to be called an "orc" would be extremely insulting in-game.

Or perhaps, orcs are known as peaceful creatures. They are dumb and everything, but to be called an orc would be to pay that person respect. "truly you are an orc amongst the Aumaua."

This is all because people want/hate/love/don't want orcs in the game.

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Or perhaps, orcs are known as peaceful creatures. They are dumb and everything, but to be called an orc would be to pay that person respect. "truly you are an orc amongst the Aumaua."

Haha I love the little cultural traits and sayings that come with the creation of new races. One of my favorite examples is in the Mass Effect series when Krogans are always referencing their "quads". It fits perfectly with their culture/anatomy and it's a wonderful little attention to detail that makes a huge difference to me.

Edited by PB_Popeye

Do not criticize a fish for being a turtle when it is, in fact, a fish.

Fish-things with hair look weird.

But... that's because they're mammals. All mammals have hair. "Aquatic" does not equate to fish or amphibian: whales, dolphins, manatees, polar bears, beavers, etc. are all varying degrees of hairy, water-loving mammals.

Me, I look at the barbarian picture and I can totally see something like this going down:

rQbNz.jpg

EDIT:

GKxDt.gif

Edited by Tamerlane
  • Like 3
jcod0.png

Personaly I was expecting more from Amuaua. From these 2 concept arts they look like half-orc so why not call them half-orcs when they even fill same role/style (stronger and larger humans)

All we've seen of them are two pictures which ( I'm not sure what orcs you're looking at) don't look very orcish. The two defining characteristics of your typical fantasy orc are greenish skin and tusk, and these have neither. What were you expecting exactly?

Well remember dolphins and whales are aquatic and also mammalian,so its not that far out there. Imo they would look better bald, I don't know about the fins though.

Fish-things with hair look weird.

But... that's because they're mammals. All mammals have hair. "Aquatic" does not equate to fish or amphibian: whales, dolphins, manatees, polar bears, beavers, etc. are all varying degrees of hairy, water-loving mammals.

Me, I look at the barbarian picture and I can totally see something like this going down:

rQbNz.jpg

EDIT:

GKxDt.gif

Okay you won the thread, because A) A race of Water Diving Tiger people is awesome B) It makes sense because Cat's like eating fish C) I don't want anger your aqua tiger pet. Grrrrr. :D

Orcs often have pig noses too aka snoots at least in D&D. So these are cool giant aqua thundercats.

THUNDER CATS...THUNDER CATS...THUNDER CATS HOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

I loved Thundercats so hope they hurry up and make a live action movie. And make sure sure the actress playing cheetara has big boob. She was my favourite.