To me they look pretty close to the human norm in overall build, with a few token differences about the head. The hands on the barbarian look a little oversized, but not with the mage. An unimportant detail, I'm sure.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

So Auamaua wizards will be a viable choice? Not as much of a min-maxing race then. Not sure if that's a good thing or not

min-maxing is the devil's work and should be purged within the fires of RPG purity.

That's what Aumaua look like? Jesus Christ they're thundercats.

it's the black and white pictures, not the two cat-like pictures <Tamerlane> posted beneath them...

Edited by NerdBoner

Yeah, the two close-ups in colour are the Shifters I mentioned as a comparison.

On a second look, the Barbarian looks rather... striped. Don't know if that's natural colouring or tattoos or warpaint or what the deal is.

So Auamaua wizards will be a viable choice? Not as much of a min-maxing race then. Not sure if that's a good thing or not

Josh Sawyer has never said these words exactly, but the general feeling I get from stalking him across the internet (that is, lurking on SA and realizing holy **** that's Josh Sawyer) is that they want stats to be relevant in some way for all character classes instead of every fighter walking around with 18 strength and 8 intelligence. Again, I can't point to any specific quote, and I may just be remembering some random conversation between totally unrelated goons, but it's also a thing I hope is true. The world needs more muscle wizards.

Besides all that, what's a barbarian tribe without a shaman?

jcod0.png

Personally, I don't like what the Aumaua look like currently - if that is truly the Aumaua concept sketch. They need to be less like orcs and more like Aumaua. If they're orcish, then just call them Orcs. Don't play this name game without good reason.

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 4

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Personally, I don't like what the Aumaua look like currently - if that is truly the Aumaua concept sketch. They need to be less like orcs and more like Aumaua. If they're orcish, then just call them Orcs. Don't play this name game without good reason.

But,... hey don't look like Orcs?

If anything they are more of a beast like race. Looking at the ears, nose and the pattern on their skin, a mix of human and Lynx if you ask me.

• Like 1

Josh Sawyer has never said these words exactly, but the general feeling I get from stalking him across the internet (that is, lurking on SA and realizing holy **** that's Josh Sawyer) is that they want stats to be relevant in some way for all character classes instead of every fighter walking around with 18 strength and 8 intelligence. Again, I can't point to any specific quote, and I may just be remembering some random conversation between totally unrelated goons, but it's also a thing I hope is true. The world needs more muscle wizards.

Ah, I found the relevant Josh Sawyer quotes:

The weakness I see in most class-based systems that also use ability scores is that certain classes can invariably treat some ability scores as dump stats. Maybe once in a blue moon will you give a **** that your fighter has a 3 Charisma, but in 99.9% of circumstances, it will not negatively affect you at all.

This may sound bad, but I think it's because designers approach ability scores with realism in mind first. Using recent D&D editions as an example, they correlate ability scores with what a person realistically does, only later realizing that while everyone in the party can regularly benefit from AC, Reflex, and Initiative bonuses, most characters can be drooling buffoons, Charisma-wise, and suffer no ill game effects. You can't dump Wisdom because everyone suffers from that. You can't dump Dex because everyone suffers from that. Other stats are easier to dump.

Because different classes have different ability score needs, it produces lopsided/variable utility in the stats (e.g. see how 3E/3.5 designers had to wrestle with bonuses to Strength because even they knew that something was wrong). It also means certain build types are really only beneficial as pure roleplaying/gimmick builds. It's cool that I can RP those characters, but make no mistake: they're pretty bad in the field compared to "normal" builds. Such systems would be no worse for it if the "opt-out" weaknesses of dump stats were addressed at a fundamental level.

We're not sure [how stats will work]. I don't like how most ability score/attribute systems are linked to certain class builds...

I believe ability scores are helpful for defining your character, but I want to set them up so they don't have an overbearing mechanical connection to gear use/your class (e.g. if you use normal melee weapons, raise Strength, if you play a wizard, max out Intelligence). I.e. I would like characters to arrange their ability scores for trade-offs that are meaningful for characters of all classes.

So given that it looks like the Aumaua are our designated "guys who are really strong", Aumaua wizards will probably be a viable thing, as I'm inferring from that quote that "a wizard who is really strong" will probably be a viable thing.

Or, to steal a comic that someone else drew:

ATLcB.jpg

Edited by Tamerlane
jcod0.png

Maybe I'm completely alone in this, but to me the Aumaua look like dolphin/shark people. I'd imagine that their skin has a blueish tint and that the stripes/patterns would be somewhat similar to what you'd find at large aquatic predators. Which is very much in-line with what I imagined they would be as soon as it was revealed that they lived on the coastal regions.

The artwork is nice; I enjoyed it. There's very little likeness to orcs that I can see, which is just fine. If they want to give them a different physiology, they could give them a double backbone or perhaps an armored spine. That would make them less flexible but more resilient.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

min-maxing is the devil's work and should be purged within the fires of RPG purity.

That's what Aumaua look like? Jesus Christ they're thundercats.

it's the black and white pictures, not the two cat-like pictures <Tamerlane> posted beneath them...

I know, I read the post. Tell me you don't see a striking resemblance.

lion-o2.jpg

So, they're basically burly humans with odd patterns on their skin... Guess that means they can join Starfleet.

And dwarves are short humans. Elves are tall humans.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I REALLY don't get why everyone is claiming Aumana are beast people even now. Look at the concept art.... They are just humans who are more muscular, have slightly pointed ears, and have stronger features. They really look more like real life New Zealanders than they do anything from Thundercats or " insert generic fantasy game here". If I had to compare them to any actual D&D race it would be Half Orcs.

EDIT: To throw this out there I will admit there are some kind of weird markings on them, but you can't tell what they are from those pics. They could be tattoos or other tribal markings for all we know.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

I think it's nice if every race has something to contribute to every class, but I also like races being really distinct.

Since melee mages will be a viable build I hope that an Auamaua wizard will usually play out like a solid melee fighter with magical abilities.

Having characters/races that I like aesthetically is always a bonus, but I ultimately don't care that much whether they're cool or unique or whatever. I care about their "personality." They could all have Pac-Man heads as long as I like their dialogues and attitudes and how useful they are. I've shunned/ignored companions in other games simply because I don't like their character, even if they were aesthetically pleasing.

I don't think the concept arts look like beast people either. Not sure where that's coming from. And I like the wizard one...he's not Tolkien-elf uber handsome or Conan-like. I find his painted face interesting, like he might have stories to tell. The warrior does remind me a bit of an Orc, tho. I think it's the fierce expression and pulled back hair more than anything else. Not like there are sharp protruding teeth or something.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It depends on the coloring. They could be "human" colored, looks like they will have "blight" (don't know a better way to explain it), one certain color. I hope turtle-ish. And like someone else said, more like Aumaua and less like Orcs (which looks what we are getting).

Personaly I was expecting more from Amuaua. From these 2 concept arts they look like half-orc so why not call them half-orcs when they even fill same role/style (stronger and larger humans)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

It depends on the coloring. They could be "human" colored, looks like they will have "blight" (don't know a better way to explain it), one certain color. I hope turtle-ish. And like someone else said, more like Aumaua and less like Orcs (which looks what we are getting).

*looks at Hormalakh quote, looks at underline*

:facepalm:

Personaly I was expecting more from Amuaua. From these 2 concept arts they look like half-orc so why not call them half-orcs when they even fill same role/style (stronger and larger humans)

Because they are Aumauas, and not Orcs.

EDIT: Don't mean to be rude but I think it's important to say: deal with it.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

The one thing that sets them apart from orcs is the habitat in which they evolved; their aquatic background should give some freaky bonuses/ weaknesses/ racial traits. I'm a bit undecided on including a race that lives in such an environment though, unless we really get to explore some of those shorelines/ swampy areas where Auamau might commonly live.

Honestly it doesnt make any sense that they would be affected by oceans. Logicaly no race evolve in such small area as coast of Dyrwood so we can expect that they live in other areas of world as well. So lets say that there are Dyrwood clan which have affinity for water. Personaly I dont see much connection to water in their look.

To Osvir

If I show you banana and tell you that its orange you can call it orange all day but we all know its banana.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Honestly it doesnt make any sense that they would be affected by oceans. Logicaly no race evolve in such small area as coast of Dyrwood so we can expect that they live in other areas of world as well. So lets say that there are Dyrwood clan which have affinity for water. Personaly I dont see much connection to water in their look.

To Osvir

If I show you banana and tell you that its orange you can call it orange all day but we all know its banana.

"It doesn't make sense/logically" followed by "It makes sense/logically". Why even include "it doesn't make sense"? Like you say, their species are probably not born and evolved in the Dyrwood area of the world. If they are anything like the fan-imagined Samoan tribal Aumaua that has been discussed earlier, they probably come from a series of islands in the middle of the ocean (Like the Philippines/New Zealand).

"Personally I don't see much connection..." the concept art isn't colored yet, they seem to have on their foreheads and down the side of their faces some sort of "darker" shading as well as on their forehands stomach, legs etc. etc.. What about that shark-fin on the Barbarian (the one with the axe) on the head?

If you show me a banana that we call an orange (if we call it "orange" there is obviously something about it that makes us call it "orange"), most likely it is a different type of banana with its own set of rules and digestion in the Eco-System.

Doing some coloring....

Dreads = Algea hair

Looking with a zooming glass it looks as if this guy got a Shark fin on the head. So these are Shorcs (Sharks), so their mentality might be closer related/inspired to that predator rather than Orc mentality. Short fuses and snaps/bites easily and quickly (like a Shark).

post-44542-0-81620100-1354797631_thumb.jpg

Edited by Osvir

From look of art it doesnt resemble (make sense) that they are connected to oceans. If I overlook that fact that humans on islands doesnt evolve much differently (visage/body) that humans on land and then that these guys are from islands where their race evolve over all these years they still doesnt look different enough from common humans to be their own race. But its only MY opinion and I am completly fine if you like them. And personaly I dont see any shark-fin. But its only WIP and a lot can change during development cycle.