From Marceror's Thread (see signature):

• Orlan
    Orlans are a race of people found mostly in northern, temperate climates but also as far south as the Dyrwood. Physically, they are notable for their small stature, two-toned skin, and exceptionally large, hair-covered ears. Due to their size, orlans have been victimized and marginalized by most of the cultures with whom they have come into contact. As a result, it is rare to find large communities of them and they have progressively retreated into heavily wooded environments over the last few centuries. Many orlan communities have also adopted brutal guerilla tactics including heavy use of traps and poison in the surrounding environment. As a result, even orlans raised in urban cultures often share their rural kin's nasty reputation.

• Aumaua
    Aumaua are larger than humans and are found in a lot of coastal and island areas. They look somewhat "different" but are still a bipedal race. (From Josh Sawyer during the 10/12/2012 PC Gamer Live Chat)

This is what I'm thinking about when I read these descriptions.

Orlan:

Gremlins-picture.jpg

Aumaua:

SPLICERS_Metamorph_Armored_by_madjaguar.jpg

I took into account the less savory aspects of the Orlan race and envisioned some kind of Ferengi offshoot, personally. I have no visual for the other race, though--so few details released about that. I expect we'll get more concept art later on since we have to wait until 2014 anyway.

• Like 2

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

^In essence, yes. I just, for some reason, think that the Aumaua will be some sort of sea creature race~ reptile... why?

A, Living on Islands as well as on the Coast. Could indicate that they just like to be close to water... but as a race it feels as if they thrive by water (genetically, culturally and traditionally)

B, Lots of discussion specifically about reptiles (and rats) about the Aumaua here on the forums.

Renekton?

renekton_fan_art.jpg

Orlan as Moomba-inspired would be awesome... the people do want to see Cats after all ;)

242781-ff8_moomba.jpg

We're still working on concepts for the aumaua and orlans. They are less bestial than the images here. Orlan ears aren't quite as big as Mogwai's, but they're pretty big.

Ferengi? :biggrin:

But good to know. Looking forward to the concept art!

Can haz more like 1st Sagani pic, plz?

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Sawyers saying less bestial, which I'm happy about. Keep em humanoid I say. Please no furry stuff.

I fear the bolded as well, but I'm looking for less humaniod races myself. While Osvir's second post was a little too bestial for me, I thought the first post was fine. The whole Star Trek logic of so many races looking almost exactly like humans always kind of bugged me. I'm still interested to see what Obsidian comes up with whatever stance they've taken.

• Like 1

What about the Amauna racial text says giant armored lizard man exactly? I must have missed the memo.

Oh right I never explained that (I accidentally closed the tab mid-post).

So, chronology, Obsidian mentions Aumaua as being large bipedal and bigger than Humans, living on islands and on the coast. Here comes my interpretion (and why I thought reptilian race/sea turtle creature):

As a race it seems they need to be close to water, due to tradition, culture and perhaps because of living habitat. It could mean they thrive in water. Second, we had lots of discussion on Aumaua here on the forums as a Rat race and/or a Reptile/Water type race (Aumaua being an Hawaiin word having to do with Sharks and stuff?). Something like that.

^Now that isn't entirely speculation, it's imagination too, brainstorming. It's "Osvir's Imagination of Aumaua", which I thought would've been obvious but I'll try to point it out more clearly the next time.

On Josh's comment... less beastial eh? Still beastial? :)

Clearly they don't have the concepts set in stone yet. Know what this means? We can influence their concepts. One thing I don't understand is this infatuation with the race's ears. Elves, for example. I want to know why the ears are so big? Is there a physiological reason for the big ears? Was there some sort of evolutionary advantage for this? Big floppy ears seem like they would be pretty big disadvantage, with the Orlans falling all over their ears.

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Clearly they don't have the concepts set in stone yet. Know what this means? We can influence their concepts. One thing I don't understand is this infatuation with the race's ears. Elves, for example. I want to know why the ears are so big? Is there a physiological reason for the big ears? Was there some sort of evolutionary advantage for this? Big floppy ears seem like they would be pretty big disadvantage, with the Orlans falling all over their ears.

Evolution doesn't exist in fantasy worlds. Any fantasy game designer I'm aware of who has used the word evolution has used it incorrectly (I have seen it used in fantasy games, and it was always incorrect and the fantasy setting blatantly made the concept physically impossible.)

Edited by AGX-17

Evolution doesn't exist in fantasy worlds.

LOL. Fine. Why did the gods make them this way? Whim and fancy?

Also I wonder what kind of ears we'll see?

n4f43aca68b2b6.gif

n4f43efceb097b.jpg

83290096.zUArgv1C-297x300.jpgbig-ears-rabbit.jpg

2010-10-02-09-09-06-13-the-fennec-fox-looks-lovely-with-big-ears.jpeg

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 4

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

My DXdiag:

Could just be a sexual selection driven trait - such as peac0ck train feathers. Or a wizard did it. Personally, I'm okay with not necessarily having a reason for (as an example) elf ear size, but it would be sweet if they explored what effects (for example) elf ear size has on society.

Maybe elven enemies cut them off and make ear-necklaces. Or perhaps elves equate them with beauty, perhaps dependent on gender (maybe there are "small elf ear" jokes among elven males). Maybe they are mutilated (cut/cropped) as part of a strange warrior ritual. So on.

I am also in the camp of those who do not really like the "furry" races.

• Like 2

I pretty much found this picture and wanted Aumaua's to be these but they don't seem to be "large" creatures really. Would be awesome with a turtle adventurer!

I can't really recall where I've seen it but I remember some character/creature from somewhere that looks humanoid/catlike somehow and are small, on the tips of their ears they've got hair (like whiskers almost) going out. That's what I really thought of first (not Mogwai).

As for the hearing, like AGX says, it doesn't exist, but at the same time there can be imagination to it in my opinion, Elves are great Rangers and woodsmen, hunters, in almost every fiction I know of. There is this one scene with a close up of Legolas and you can see his ear slightly twitch as if alerted. Eh not gonna go into the evolution too much... Orlans could've developed better hearing due to their minor size, being an easier target and/or being bullied, good hearing could've been a natural defense mechanism...

I'm not religious Hormalakh but, if there is a God, why did he make us this way? :p Whim and fancy?

On Aumaua, definitely tribal. I think of Trolls in World of Warcraft a little bit too (specifically, starting area as a Troll in World of Warcraft, one of the early quests requires you to swim out to some nearby islands and kill tons of Trolls)... Aumaua being a Tribal race? Barbarian? Prometheus (though those guys are like... half-giants).

Having a Half-Giant in your party would be cool but it also feels as if it could be or seem overpowered. It is very little to go on what Obsidian has said.. from Josh's comment here I'd reckon they are still beastial... it really feels that every spot is taken but the barbaric tribesmen spot (Orcs pretty much).

Hmm... a more humanoid form of this?

EDIT: Alien? Yeti-Orcs? (Umaro :D) Or too furry?

Edited by Osvir

Regardless of what aumaua look like I really hope it's based off Samoan mythology/culture. They just seem like they would be samoan.

Some of those guys are big too...

Samoan_manaia_1896.jpg

PCC-Samoa-Fireknife.jpg

• Like 1

My DXdiag:

A Samoan Battletoad? Jokes aside, that's great Hormalakh :)

real%20battletoad.jpg

EDIT: Aumakua was a Hawaiin family God. Looking at pictures in google when I search for that:

This is the hand of Aumakua:

450_Hand_of_the_%60Aumakua_-_Honu.jpg

Aumakua Tiki Statue:

TIKI3.AUMAKUA.JPG

Edited by Osvir

They (samoans) got some awesome tattoos. Samoan warriors especially.

The-Rock-Shoulder-Sleeve.jpg

http://www.empowerne...oday’s-society/

Below is a song sung repeatedly by women to the men being tattooed. Friend, stop your wailing and moaning,

That is not the pain of a sick person.

That is the pain of a novice!

Relax your body like giving up,

Give in, o chief!

Chorus:Ah, you suffer beneath the blows,

Ah, till you fall asleep,

And you are not tired nor weary of it!

Soon you will receive your pretty chains of adornment

As yet they are seperate and not joined;

The necklace is still in pieces and not quite finished.

Give in, o chief!

But soon in the evening

You will look at your tattoo

Comparable to a fresh ti leaf.

Give in, o chief!

Ah, if it were a burden

I would carry it for you in my love.

O be quiet and give in,

I will withdraw when the blows have fallen

Give in, o chief!

The stylet and the hammer strike,

The colour is applied so that it may adhere.

Give in, o chief!

Like water flows your blood,

Ah, I feel pity for your condition.

Give in, o chief!

But this is the custom ages old,

You constantly moan, but I sing.

Women must bear children,

Men must be tattooed.

And the tattooer will be struck by the trade wind.

Give in, o chief!

The necklace may break, the string may break

But you tattoo will not break.

This necklace of yours is permanent

And will go into the grave with you

Give in, o chief!

http://www.samoa.co.uk/tattoos.html

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 1

My DXdiag:

Aumaua = orcs

I hope not. I prefer orcs being mountain people.

Besides, the aumaua give the oppotunity for something new and different. I actually really like the pseudo-tiki coastal society many fans have conjured up.

They probably just fill the orc role in that they are a bigger, more physically strong race. I don't expect them to necessarily look or behave like traditional orcs.

Aumaua = orcs

I hope not. I prefer orcs being mountain people.

Besides, the aumaua give the oppotunity for something new and different. I actually really like the pseudo-tiki coastal society many fans have conjured up.

They probably just fill the orc role in that they are a bigger, more physically strong race. I don't expect them to necessarily look or behave like traditional orcs.

Yeah that's what I meant.

Having a Half-Giant in your party would be cool but it also feels as if it could be or seem overpowered.

I played a Half-Giant in a D&D 3.5 campaign, I built the entire character concept around grappling foes to immobilise them. Once I, with 1hp remaining, grappled an Earth Elemental and won. The character was a bit over-powered, but great fun to play.

Brown Bear- attacks Squirrel
Brown Bear did 18 damage to Squirrel
Squirrel- death