Inspiration for Godlike-races

I was wondering what you guys thought about how the Godlike race should be executed. To be more clear I was wondering what you guys thought about possibly giving whichever God (the character is devoted to) a say in some of the more important decisions you make in the PE storyline. I believe there should be some kind of dialogue between you and your respective diety.

What are your thoughts?

I was just kidding about the cthulhumanoid thing. I think it's already been established that the Godlike race is going to look more or less human. Personally, I hope they'll look more like Aasimars than Tieflings: almost indistinguishable from elves or humans, but with an air of otherworldliness about them. Maybe they look a little too perfect, almost like living statues, thus creating an uncanny valley effect. Maybe they have weirdly colored eyes that glow in the dark. Whatever it is about their appearance that sets them apart from normal human beings, I hope it's subtle.

Edited by Agelastos

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

^ i mean that the Godlike, while considered a separate race by normies, vary greatly in their appearance depending on which god they were touched by at birth...

for example a Godlike touched by the godess of fire may have red hair and eyes or perhaps red skin...a Godlike toched by the god of the sea may be greenish blue with gills and so on depending on the deities realm of power.

I think Nerdboner is right. Thier called Godlike, not planetouched.

So I imagine that each subrace will lean towards resembling the God/dess or group of divinities that made them.

So its hard to speculate on appearences until we know more about the Gods of PE.

Still we know three of the Gods so far, all of which appear to be major ones.

So a fire subrace like mentioned above, with war theme influencing the look.

God of Life and Death is more challenging them splitting the two ideas. Perhaps they resemble the two beings in the screen shot.

The God of light and Redemption, I'm thinking light and angellic subrace, most Aasmir like.

Nerdboners Water God is likely too.

I suspect a more animalistic God as well and a God of Knoweldge, one of love, and one of vice, amoung others.

• Like 2

Kinda avatar-esque. Except that it's not limited to just the five elements.

What do you mean "not limited to just the five elements"?

An avatar is a god incarnated as a human or an animal. They don't have to be tied to any of the five elements.

Or are you referring to some work of fiction that I have missed?

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

Humanoid looking godlike races doesn't need to be boring. Just look at Arkane's Dishonored. The outsider gave me all kinds of heebie jeeblies...

I think what OE should push for is play on our perception of what is a human ala uncanny valley.

I think looks should be drastically different in a good way.....they should look as though they are magic incarnate....very good looks with supernatural characteristics like glowing eyes/skin or something along those lines. It should be instantly visible to all. As far as power goes....well, they really should be god-like. Insanely powerful and near damn impossible to defeat even at the lowest character level even by the toughest enemies/monsters the game has to offer. The godlike race should be an unlocked reward for beating the toughest difficulty settings in the game and should reflect that the player is essentially a god in the game.

This should even unlock special events and story paths perhaps....it would make a lot more sense for more enemies to surrender or run for it while others would form unlikely alliances with enemies in some misguided hope to take you down(of course they'd still pose as much of a threat as a paper towel). The possibilities here are infinite and I think it would provide a lot of motivation for players to play the really hard settings in hopes of unlocking the godlike race and associated content. Just some thoughts.

I'd highly prefer that this was not the case. Not everyone likes grinding through a game on the highest difficulty levels that force you to use silly exploits/tactics to make it through the game, just to be able to play a race that you're interested in trying out. Also, while I don't mind there being a power differential, I don't think it should be nearly as extreme as you're talking about, and should probably use some sort of system similar to D&Ds racial power system to keep the game balanced.

• Like 1

"When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift

I think it would be nice for appearances to vary, but... the question is going to be one of trade-offs. I mean, I would like for concepts like aasimar, tieflings, and maybe some further variations(so.... beastlike could be possible, corpse-like, spirit-like, etc) However, really I know I'll be satisfied with however they play it. BECAUSE I know I'll be satisfied, I'd like for the imagination to run wild on the issue. I mean, I'll be more satisfied with a unique answer, but I'll be satisfied with however they do it so long as there is consistency.

I kind of envision them as something like the engineers from Prometheus, they were essentially godlike.sacrificial_engineer_prometheus2.jpg

For some reason, the Engineers always make me think of the Vril-ya from The Coming Race.

Maybe it's because they look like they sprung from a nazi's wet dreams.

Edited by Agelastos

Kinda avatar-esque. Except that it's not limited to just the five elements.

What do you mean "not limited to just the five elements"?

An avatar is a god incarnated as a human or an animal. They don't have to be tied to any of the five elements.

Or are you referring to some work of fiction that I have missed?

Yeah the discussion reminded me of a specific animation movie-comic called 'Avatar: Last Airbender' and I was referring to that context. It's about people living in countries where they serve elements as gods (religious aspect) and have elemental powers, like fire, water, etc. Their affinity to each respective element is expressed in their clothing, hairstyle, perhaps even temperament, ... that was what I was trying to get. I should have made that clear, sorry about that. I agree with you that it doesn't have to do with the five elements.

The film is not recommended to watch, by the way.

I think looks should be drastically different in a good way.....they should look as though they are magic incarnate....very good looks with supernatural characteristics like glowing eyes/skin or something along those lines. It should be instantly visible to all. As far as power goes....well, they really should be god-like. Insanely powerful and near damn impossible to defeat even at the lowest character level even by the toughest enemies/monsters the game has to offer. The godlike race should be an unlocked reward for beating the toughest difficulty settings in the game and should reflect that the player is essentially a god in the game.

This should even unlock special events and story paths perhaps....it would make a lot more sense for more enemies to surrender or run for it while others would form unlikely alliances with enemies in some misguided hope to take you down(of course they'd still pose as much of a threat as a paper towel). The possibilities here are infinite and I think it would provide a lot of motivation for players to play the really hard settings in hopes of unlocking the godlike race and associated content. Just some thoughts.

I'd highly prefer that this was not the case. Not everyone likes grinding through a game on the highest difficulty levels that force you to use silly exploits/tactics to make it through the game, just to be able to play a race that you're interested in trying out. Also, while I don't mind there being a power differential, I don't think it should be nearly as extreme as you're talking about, and should probably use some sort of system similar to D&Ds racial power system to keep the game balanced.

Well....what makes most sense to me is that if a race is going to be called godlike then I expect the game to reflect and in fact have that race actually be God-Like....of course the power implied by the terminology doesn't sit well with having the game be challenging for the player since there's nothing remotely balanced about it....in fact the term godlike instantly throws balance out the window.....so I thought that having the player work really hard to obtain it would be a reasonable solution. Another solution would be to make this race associated with its own difficulty level.....the insanely super easy difficulty where you will never ever die...that way the players know from the start what they're getting themselves into. Either way would work for me.

Edited by Darth Trethon

1zq6793.jpg