Something little I enjoyed in older RPG's (mostly before voice acting) was the ability to change the names of your dev made follower NPC's. I think this would be a nice addition to P.E. and make your play-through just a little bit more personalised.

I know it's something very small so please don't shout at me for making this thread :p I know I am foolish xD

Mmmm...i disagree for this game. Part of what makes the IE characters so memorable is they are their own characters, with their own stories and backgrounds. Taking that character's name away from them just kills that story and makes it yours instead. Would you want to change the NPC's race as well? Or their alignment? Sure they play a crucial part in your journey...but they have their own as well. Let them be their own character. That's what makes them memorable.

• Like 1

Do not criticize a fish for being a turtle when it is, in fact, a fish.

I remember the only time I ever renamed all the NPCs in a game, I then spent the game having a dickens of a time trying to remember who was who because I couldn't remember what I'd named them.

So no real interest from me.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I am all for a single humanoid (familiar/humunculus like in Shadow of Memories, so something easily blending in among humans, and having a proper personality of its own) whom you can ingame customize and name, even help it along its way of self-determination, but renaming everyone you met up with would be just too much

IB1OsQq.png

Hm. Well, it wouldn't be objectionable if the option was there, it's not like you'd have to rename them if you didn't wish to. But I don't think I'd be interested either .. I like companions/NPC's to seem like individual people as much as possible. Which means I shouldn't be renaming them willy-nilly. Unless you had a scene where you're sitting around a campfire with everyone and have a convo that gives one of them a teasing nickname. That might make it feel ok. ;)

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well, if they do have the ability, I know what name I'll give to Forton(and possibly the other two guys)! :rolleyes:

I look forward to playing perma-death with my companions, Lindsay Lohan, Justin Bieber, and the Twilight chic, whatshername.

Why would you get those as followers in the first place?

Only possible objection I can think of would be if the party banter is voiced and directed to other party members.

Cadegund going "goddamn forton, put a shirt on you damn stoner hippie" but even then it'd just be omitting the names from spoken audio.

I wouldn't particularly miss the feature or use in any case, but it's such a small thing to code and might be fun for some.

-

Actually I can think of another thing, Someones name might be important in some way that'll turn out later.

"Hey *furrybabe* this forest is also known as Sagani Forest, do you come from around here?"

Well, if they do have the ability, I know what name I'll give to Forton(and possibly the other two guys)! :rolleyes:

I look forward to playing perma-death with my companions, Lindsay Lohan, Justin Bieber, and the Twilight chic, whatshername.

Why would you get those as followers in the first place?

Probably to have them -slowly and painfully - killed.

Personally, I think that very few people are interested in renaming characters in the game world... Am I the only one who spends more time thinking up a good character name than actually creating the character? Imagine that with all of the characters in the world, my worst nightmare H3H3H3

Maybe if you find a guy who hit his head too hard, and got amnesia, or an evil witch deleted his memories... I wouldn't mind giving him a name/nickname... btw would be cool to help a companion and reshape his/her personality after losing his/her memories IF we knew him/her beforehand.

Edited by necromate

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves: You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin (RIP!)

Perhaps a Nickname feature that shows up in your choices that you make:

1. "So what's the next cause of action [Ed]?"

Which could trigger Edair to get a specific banter "IF [Ed]". There could be Easter Eggs, if someone randomly puts Edy in there Edair could react in some funny way (just a minor thing like *Edair sighs as you call on him* or "I don't like that nickname.....").

Regardless, if a Nickname feature exists in the "Records" tab with the Biography and everything, it could replace every "Edair", "Forton" that is seen in your Dialogue Choice when applicable. Perhaps you could even talk to Edair and say something like:

1. "What do you think about the other guys in our group?"

Which triggers Edair to say something like "Anyone specific?" where you get a list of all the companions, let's say I pick:

1. "Aloth"

Edair responds "What about him?"

1. "I want you to call him [Nickname]" which would make Edair call Aloth "Al" where applicable.

^Looks like too much though... just a fun feature :)