Forton is a Joke!

I think this is the right time to lock the thread.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

No. I think this topic is quite amusing :p

I don't care if others now reduce the character to the only thing that really isn't classicly estetic on this guy (the hair) and bash him because of that. I like the idea of the character and I don't really mind how he looks and I am sure the looks fits Fortons character or history.

I would like it, if other NPCs / random people like kids in cities would pick on him for his hair and clothes and I would even more love it, if Forton had a badass answer to them and that they should not judge the book by its cover. Actually I am just waiting for someone of the development staff to do that in here :p :D

• Like 1

Poor Forton. I don't care for Hong Kong Phooey monks very much, but he sure is taking a lot of abuse. :no:

• Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

@Vargr What the hell.....was that?!

That, my friend, was a clip from Peter Jackson's (you might recognize the name) pre-LoTR film Braindead, or also known as Dead Alive.

Brilliant horror comedy, though very very sick and disgusting at times. Not for those with weak stomachs.

I should point out that I don't judge Forton prematurely, as others seem to do here. I am sure Obsidian will give him an interesting personality

and story, and that's the main thing.

That said, I'd really like it if they reconsidered his appearance. Not the face and hair or anything, but rather clothing and fighting style.

I guess you could call me pro- Forton, anti- Asian-influenced-Monk.

That, my friend, was a clip from Peter Jackson's (you might recognize the name) pre-LoTR film Braindead, or also known as Dead Alive.

Brilliant horror comedy, though very very sick and disgusting at times. Not for those with weak stomachs.

I should point out that I don't judge Forton prematurely, as others seem to do here. I am sure Obsidian will give him an interesting personality

That said, I'd really like it if they reconsidered his appearance. Not the face and hair or anything, but rather clothing and fighting style.

that is like saying you are pro-Sarkozy anti-french, or pro-Caesar anti-roman

• Like 1

IB1OsQq.png

that is like saying you are pro-Sarkozy anti-french, or pro-Caesar anti-roman

On the contrary the worst part about the design is that it feels disconnected. You could either change the face to match the body, or change the body to match the face and end up with a pretty good character design.

• Like 1

Forton is a bundle of problems, I have already talked plenty about it in the past and my opinions have not changed. He and the class he represents needs an entire reworking, at the moment he is the least popular and most complained about character. That alone demands that the character needs to be worked on more.

• Like 3

I dont get it. He wears little clothing because he is a minimalist monk with few possessions. He's balding and wrinkly because he's old. There looks to be a sadness in his eyes. As if he doesn't want to fight but does so for the greater goal whatever that is for him. Looks like a pretty good base for an interesting character to me.

I also like how he doesn't look like your regular joinable npc. I wouldn't say he looks weak but I think the way a character finds strength in spite or because of a said weakness makes them extremely interesting. A trend with a lot of martial artists is their longevity i.e their ability to maintain high physical fitness in spite of their age. So, to me, Forton isn't cliche or completely ridiculous. He's just right even wih the kung fu pants. Calling him horrible looking and old peasant is a bit silly. Someone mentioned bad character design. A good story to go with the picture would solve a lot of issues.

Maybe he just lost everything at the gambling hall he keeps going to, and the creditors are making him pose for pictures they'll keep until he pays them back. The embarrassment shows in his eyes.

I bet he'll join your group if you pay off his debts.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Forton is a bundle of problems, I have already talked plenty about it in the past and my opinions have not changed. He and the class he represents needs an entire reworking, at the moment he is the least popular and most complained about character. That alone demands that the character needs to be worked on more.

Well, he is infamous at least! He should be in this

. Edited by kenup

I totally agree here.

Obsidian, you have yet time to trash that NPC and create something better.

Well, let's put it this way. Either you're going to have a bunch of people complaining about the decisions actually made themselves (Forton, the Monk class, the Paladin class, Priests, and every single choice Obsidian has made . . . ever), or you're going to have people complaining about the changes to Obsidian's decisions made only because people were complaining. Personally I'd rather people were complaining about a decision Obsidian actually made themselves.

-

The alterntive is complaining about changes made because people like Aedelric jumped to conclussions about Forton and the Monk, complaining throughout multiple threads, without their supporting lore even being released, nor their place in the world even being explained/defined by Obsidian. No, instead of waiting to see what Obsidian is actually doing, we have people like Aedelric creating a thread where he tells Obsidian how disappointed he is in them (and he did, I can quote it to anyone that wants the proof), as if he comes from a place of moral and intellectual superiority, as if he's been developing great games, with some of the greatest stories, characters and dialogue out there - instead of the people that actually have been developing such games. You know. Obsidian.

But no . . . let's jump to wild conclussions about Forton, and Monks, instead of even seeing, in the first place, what Obsidian has planned. Because outside of the barest idea of Monks, and Forton, we have nothing. At all. We don't have the full story of Forton, Monks or the world, nor how they fit into the world - we have next to no lore. Yet I see people making all sorts of assumptions, wild baseless jumps, about exactly what they are and how they fit in. And almost everytime, and I can quote these things, it's someone telling others, 'how they don't fit in' even though we don't have information enough on the world, nor the subjects in question, to know what is fitting or not for the world. Instead I see people flinging around accusations about how Obsidian are just throwing things together, as a random mish mash, with nothing holding it all together or explaining it.

The way people talk about Forton, the Monk, and various other aspects of the game, their place in the world/story, you'd think half this forum believed Obsidian's writers to have taken massive blunt force blows to their collective heads, leaving them dribbling simpletons. You'd think they'd never created beloved stories, characters, dialogues and more, but here's the thing . . . they did. They've created amazing things.

So I just don't understand this insistence that characters, classes, concepts and more be trashed, replaced, and so on . . . before we've even really seen what they are, in totality, before we've even seen their place in the world, as if Obsidian have made some horrible mistake.

]Forton is a bundle of problems[/b]

The only bundle of problems I see are the people insisting their Christmas Present be returned, and replaced with one to their liking, before they've even opened the bloody present in the first place.

Edited by Umberlin
  • Like 8

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

Well, let's put it this way. Either you're going to have a bunch of people complaining about the decisions actually made themselves (Forton, the Monk class, the Paladin class, Priests, and every single choice Obsidian has made . . . ever), or you're going to have people complaining about the changes to Obsidian's decisions made only because people were complaining. Personally I'd rather people were complaining about a decision Obsidian actually made themselves.

-

The alterntive is complaining about changes made because people like Aedelric jumped to conclussions about Forton and the Monk, complaining throughout multiple threads, without their supporting lore even being released, nor their place in the world even being explained/defined by Obsidian. No, instead of waiting to see what Obsidian is actually doing, we have people like Aedelric creating a thread where he tells Obsidian how disappointed he is in them (and he did, I can quote it to anyone that wants the proof), as if he comes from a place of moral and intellectual superiority, as if he's been developing great games, with some of the greatest stories, characters and dialogue out there - instead of the people that actually have been developing such games. You know. Obsidian.

But no . . . let's jump to wild conclussions about Forton, and Monks, instead of even seeing, in the first place, what Obsidian has planned. Because outside of the barest idea of Monks, and Forton, we have nothing. At all. We don't have the full story of Forton, Monks or the world, nor how they fit into the world - we have next to no lore. Yet I see people making all sorts of assumptions, wild baseless jumps, about exactly what they are and how they fit in. And almost everytime, and I can quote these things, it's someone telling others, 'how they don't fit in' even though we don't have information enough on the world, nor the subjects in question, to know what is fitting or not for the world. Instead I see people flinging around accusations about how Obsidian are just throwing things together, as a random mish mash, with nothing holding it all together or explaining it.

The way people talk about Forton, the Monk, and various other aspects of the game, their place in the world/story, you'd think half this forum believed Obsidian's writers to have taken massive blunt force blows to their collective heads, leaving them dribbling simpletons. You'd think they'd never created beloved stories, characters, dialogues and more, but here's the thing . . . they did. They've created amazing things.

So I just don't understand this insistence that characters, classes, concepts and more be trashed, replaced, and so on . . . before we've even really seen what they are, in totality, before we've even seen their place in the world, as if Obsidian have made some horrible mistake.

]Forton is a bundle of problems[/b]

The only bundle of problems I see are the people insisting their Christmas Present be returned, and replaced with one to their liking, before they've even opened the bloody present in the first place.

What you've basically just said here is that forums are ridiculous because, our opinions don't matter and obsidian can do whatever they want. Granted, but then why are you even bothering to comment? Let us have our opinions, jesus christ.

One thing is an older badass, another thing is an elderly weaksause. Forton is the later. Har! Just look at his sorry face

Edair looks older as well, but he actually looks older in a 'competent, world weary' way to me. I like having older characters in games, especially as I get older myself, just not ones that look like Forton...

image-162519-full.jpg?1348534324

He looks like Ned Stark

Exactly what I was thinking and I love him for it. I was very sad when Ned died.