Forton is a Joke!

I think Forton looks awesome, except for the slippers which makes little sense unless this is a pic drawn while he's on his way to take a bath. Besides that though, I like that he's older, bald and doesn't seem to care much about his looks.

• Like 1

and as a person familiar with some hard training, i gotta say

that a man involved in martial arts and discipline as monk, as the guy in the picture,

would go out of thier way to shave that crap off on at least monthly basis

coz not only it looks horrible, it rly messes with the process of daily training,

and fighting, too

ps: even if he had thick anime hair with stylish pony tail, i'd still bring this up

• Like 2

I have a funny feeling that:

(a) He is going to be the snarky Obsidian equivalent of Minsc;

and

(b) Folks are going to love him.

Rather than a "ah, grasshopper" type monk he's going to be the crazy, drug-addled Iggy Pop / Hunter S Thompson of the monk world.

So I have spoken, so shall it be.

• Like 15

sonsofgygax.JPG

You know it's funny you say that. One of my favorite D&D characters was a Monk named Dor the Unhinged and he was out of his gourd. Tons of fun to play and come up with what he was going to do next.

Do not criticize a fish for being a turtle when it is, in fact, a fish.

One thing is an older badass, another thing is an elderly weaksause. Forton is the later. Har! Just look at his sorry face

Edair looks older as well, but he actually looks older in a 'competent, world weary' way to me. I like having older characters in games, especially as I get older myself, just not ones that look like Forton...

image-162519-full.jpg?1348534324

He looks like Ned Stark

• Like 1

One thing is an older badass, another thing is an elderly weaksause. Forton is the later. Har! Just look at his sorry face

Edair looks older as well, but he actually looks older in a 'competent, world weary' way to me. I like having older characters in games, especially as I get older myself, just not ones that look like Forton...

He looks like Ned Stark

no

I like Monks, and Forton's ok. My main issue is the balding head feels out of proportion or something, it does look odd. Too tall of forehead perhaps.

It's the hair, isn't it? I agree.

Here's my rendition of a better Forton (feel free to use this for the final game Obsidian)

rofl.gif

Can't beat that, but I was staring at his face, and what it actually reminds me of is:

PE-Forton-spock.jpg

• Like 16
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

He looks like Ned Stark

He's even aimed Edair...

Sacrificial lion, you heard it here first

I really wish they'd loose the Asian aesthetic of the monk class. I'd rather see some European-style warrior monks, like the ones you'd find in a Military Order during the Crusades.

I'm not saying they should fight like Knight Templars or w/e - if I wanted to play a pure crusader I'd just play a fighter or a cleric, but at least make them wear hairshirts and modest tabards, or something like that, instead of wushu kuzi or whatever those baggy kung fu pants are called. They just look so dang out of place. And please, no kamas or qi-powers!

• Like 5

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

Truthfully Forton is about as bad a character design as you can get. He is sending so many mixed messages it is just plain loony. I vote we switch him out for the already posted new monk companion..... Spock.

• Like 1

I really wish they'd loose the Asian aesthetic of the monk class. I'd rather see some European-style warrior monks, like the ones you'd find in a Military Order during the Crusades.

I'm not saying they should fight like Knight Templars or w/e - if I wanted to play a pure crusader I'd just play a fighter or a cleric, but at least make them wear hairshirts and modest tabards, or something like that, instead of wushu kuzi or whatever those baggy kung fu pants are called. They just look so dang out of place. And please, no kamas or qi-powers!

This is actually a pretty good Idea ! Imagine a monk who isnt asian stylished. He can still fight with his fists ( which is actually a pretty stupid idea in a world full of weapons and stuff ) wearing a tabard and some european stylished coats. This could be pretty awesome ! Obsidian you should definitely think this over !

no

That's like, your opinion man.

[PICS]

You might be right. But maybe it's the other way round and Sean Bean merely happens to perfectly embody the archetype of the seasoned warrior who gets stuff done. :lol:

After all, his characters from Lord of the Rings, Black Death and Game of Thrones do share some similarities.

This is actually a pretty good Idea ! Imagine a monk who isnt asian stylished. He can still fight with his fists ( which is actually a pretty stupid idea in a world full of weapons and stuff ) wearing a tabard and some european stylished coats. This could be pretty awesome ! Obsidian you should definitely think this over !

Ehm, that idea isn't bad - but I backed PE to get a game that brings back the feeling of the old IE games. ;)

Edited by Calmar

Is Forton even Human?

Giving Forton black skin colour doesn't make him less human, actually... :getlost:

It seems I don't get that joke.

Bah, people are people. And it wasn't a joke what if Forton could be one of the Godlike races? (Name of the attachment is Godlike ;)).

When I choose the hue I was thinking more towards "Golem-y" rocky and rasp skin (there is only one race, humanity, brother).

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

Is Forton even Human?

Giving Forton black skin colour doesn't make him less human, actually... :getlost:

It seems I don't get that joke.

Bah, people are people. And it wasn't a joke what if Forton could be one of the Godlike races? (Name of the attachment is Godlike ;)).

When I choose the hue I was thinking more towards "Golem-y" rocky and rasp skin (there is only one race, humanity, brother).

I see. That's an good idea. Having a godlike one look like a rickety old geezer instead of a muscular Hercules would be a nice twist. :)

Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes! Please NO ninjas, samurai and martial artists in a western RPG unless they are part of an Asia inspired nation in the game. It somehow breaks immersion here and if Forton is not an aaaaabsolutely essential NPC I will not add him to my party.

• Like 5

Elan_song.gif