Is the ES:O symbol going to cause issues?

You know what.....**** Bethesda. I wouldn't put it past them after the horrible way they treated Obsidian with FONV.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

As far as I know, the snake biting its tail is an ancient symbol, so no trademark issue here

And yes **** Beth$. Not only for New Vegas shenanigans, but also for a game like Oblivion that for me ruined the The Elder Scrolls series.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

As far as I know, the snake biting its tail is an ancient symbol, so no trademark issue here

M is an ancient symbol and that doesn't prevent the golden arches from being trademarked.

• Like 1

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

Oh God. Not again...

Some people here would really appreciate a substantial project update

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

I don't think it will be an issue. The Ouroboros is an ancient symbol and can't be trademarked anymore than I imagine an ankh or cross could be. Now if project eternitys Ouroboros was sporting 3 heads they might be able to get the symbol changed but beyond that I don't think they'd have any case.

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Haven't Obisidan removed Ouroboros? You won't find it on any official PE page anymore.

Didn't Bethesda try to sue Notch for the word "Scrolls"?

On a side note. Notch was about to register trademark "Scrolls", that's what provoked Bethesda.

Edited by Milten

And yes **** Beth$. Not only for New Vegas shenanigans, but also for a game like Oblivion that for me ruined the The Elder Scrolls series.

The only issue I sense is someone pointing out to Bethesda that their TES Online symbol is extremely stupid.

Oh, fanboiz...

Is nomine vacans liberarit vobis ex servitut.

Is nomine vacans redit vobis ars magica.

They've changed it since the "countdown" period ... and far as we know, might change it again once the game is given an actual name ... so the point is kind of moot anyway.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

They did the same with the world "scrolls", so I wouldn't put it past them. They try too hard to be EA, for us to not see it.

That's why the symbol for PE changed. Of course I still keep it in my sig. 8)

Edited by kenup

Besides, the symbol isn't used anywhere in Eternity pages or forums anyway.

Even the name "Eternity" or "Project Eternity" is supposed to be just the working name.

(Though I'd expect it's going to stick, harder to change the longer you have to get used to it).

My suggestion: The Elder Pergaments: Eternity of Oblivion. Of souls, in skyrim.

Edited by Jarmo
  • Like 2

You know what.....**** Bethesda. I wouldn't put it past them after the horrible way they treated Obsidian with FONV.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros

You can say f***k Bethesda but you don't want to say that to there army of very competent lawyers. Lets hope this doesn't create a legal issue. I doubt it will

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

M is an ancient symbol and that doesn't prevent the golden arches from being trademarked.

I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that the M is trademarked as a design - two arches that form an M - not as a letter (which wouldn't be trademarkable).

Note that as an ancient symbol, the ouroboros isn't trademarkable (its considered a concept in the public domain), however you could make a distinct version of the ouroboros that is trademarkable - like ES:O's three snakes to one eating its tail.

Also I thought Obsidian had dropped the traditional ouroboros from their logo, instead using a more abstract circle / sun motiff with a multitude of snakes (which would be trademarkable as far as I know).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

My suggestion: The Elder Pergaments: Eternity of Oblivion. Of souls, in skyrim.

The Elder Pergaments FTW.

The Elder Pergaments I: Coliseum

The Elder Pergaments II: Knifeplummet

The Elder Pergaments III: Eterrowind

The Elder Pergaments VI: Amnesia

The Elder Pergaments V: Heavenhem

And, of course: The Elder Pergaments: Offline

Edited by mstark
  • Like 2
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"