Relationship/Romance Thread IV

Romance  

431 members have voted

1. 1. How do you define Romance in a game?

• Love (Romance)
    • Sex (Ho-mance)
    • Friendship (Bro-mance)
    • No (Go-dance)
    • Other-mance?

That would be an egregious mistake if Romance is left out. And if that happens I'll....I'll...I'll sulk, yes I'll sulk. So THERE Obsidian !!!!

Buy over 9,000 nega-copies of PE just to spite them!

:biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That would be an egregious mistake if Romance is left out. And if that happens I'll....I'll...I'll sulk, yes I'll sulk. So THERE Obsidian !!!!

Buy over 9,000 nega-copies of PE just to spite them!

:biggrin:

lap.jpg

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Aspects of relationship will probably be explored, but there won't be a Bioware style romance in the game.

I will be glad for the change. I'm so sick of happy-happy joy-joy.

There's a Chris Avellone interview somewhere that gives some interesting examples.

Edited by Sensuki

There won't be a romance in this game, I can already feel it.

Im feeling that there will be but propably made at the end of production (they propably whanna make everything else before it)

NO ! If romance will be left out wats next ? Friendship ? Anger ? aaaaah ;(

Aspects of relationship will probably be explored, but there won't be a Bioware style romance in the game.

I will be glad for the change. I'm so sick of happy-happy joy-joy.

And what do you think about mixes Drama-Joy ?

I personaly think that a romance with joy moment and drama moments (and other moments) is most realistic.

It will never be biowere-style romance becouse :

1. We are talking about obsidian not biowere.

2. This is 2D game not fully 3d (no sex scenes)

3. We have Avellone, Zient and other devs that participate in games with good writhing part (look romance in NWN2 - Mask)

There's a Chris Avellone interview somewhere that gives some interesting examples.

I whoud be gratefull if you copy link here ... thank you.

• Like 1

NO ! If romance will be left out wats next ? Friendship ? Anger ? aaaaah ;(

You have raised a good point, we take the risk of possibly removing other forms of party interaction and emotion if we remove Romance. The game may become  too clinical, which would be horrible :yucky:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://linuxgamenews.biz/2012/11/01/an-interview-with-chris-avellone-on-project-eternity-a-word-on-romance/

So if I were to implement a romance subplot in Eternity – I wouldn’t. I’d examine interpersonal relationships from another angle and I wouldn’t confine it to love and romance. Maybe I’d explore it after a “loving” relationship crashed and burned, and one or both was killed in the aftermath enough for them to see if it had really been worth it spending the last few years of their physical existence chained to each other in a dance of human misery and/or a plateau of soul-killing compromise. Or maybe I’d explore a veteran’s love affair with his craft of murder and allowing souls to be freed to travel beyond their bleeding shell, or a Cipher’s obsession with plucking the emotions of deep-rooted souls to try and see what makes people attracted to each other beyond their baser instincts and discovers love… specifically, his love of manipulating others. You could build an entire dungeon and quest where he devotes himself to replicating facsimiles of love, reducer a Higher Love to a baser thing and using NPCs he encounters as puppets for his experimentations, turning something supposedly beautiful into something filthy, mechanical, but surrounded by blank-eyed soul-twisted drones echoing all the hollow Disney-like platitudes and fairy tale existence where everyone lives happily ever after.

FYI that took me 5 secs to find on google with the search terms "Chris Avellone romance interview"

And what do you think about mixes Drama-Joy ?

Just as bad, or perhaps even worse.

I prefer no joy :).

There are far more interesting aspects of personal relationships than romance. I'd rather interact about something else.

Edited by Sensuki

You have raised a good point, we take the risk of possibly removing other forms of party interaction and emotion if we remove Romance. The game may become  too clinical, which would be horrible :yucky:

Do you imagine that ?

Lest say we have a situation ...

3 weeks before PE ending and game is about to relese :

And Avellone or Sewyer in "Update 1376930"

No Anger option. Your character will not have an anger emotion as possibility  ... becouse we discoverd that baing angry at someone is not so funny and the anger mechanics and expierience for playing this type of person is simply exaggerated by most players. We also worked on Friendship and respect as an "option" but we decided that this will brake immersion for the game and in general is only for ego-stroking and if you want to make some friends go outside for example a park.

and 1 week before reliese

"Update 1376933"

Yes we add two handed- fighting, we add posibility of having two spears the same time, two pistols at the same time. Wewe also add 20 more levels to mega dungeon and make very big stronghold (with armie and possibility of economics). We also dismisst an option for "sadnes" in game. The Gods forbade

people to be sad becouse it interfere with their "SOUL-Based" big plan.

We also dismist a sadnes becouse the "sadness" mechanics are mosty exaggerated by most (who want to be sad ?) but we add 20 lore levels to mega dungeon to make you happy ! YeaY !!

Last update "Update 1376934"

HI California ! :biggrin:

and the rest of the world .... :getlost:

We have finished ! YEAH ! Big WHOOOO!

We ad and option for a player to have a DOG ! Huraay! We also give you some information about Aumaua ... yes they can have two two-handed swords at same time. And we add nev "Orlan" special abilytys.

We also removed the whole "Talking" part of the game. We discovert that there are no need for characters to talk. You can simply join them to your party by giving them 50 gold.

You are still able to make "Battle-orders" the best part of talking part of the game. You can still make orders like "Give me that ****" or "Healer ! Healer ! i need Healer !" we also add 20 levels on mega-dungeon and make a "Crafting ability" Yeah !

We removed "talking" from game becouse we discoverd that most players exaggerated this type of mechanics. We also discoverd that it was not so funny. We discoverd that if you want "To talk" in a game you simply can go to other room and talk to you mom or dad ... mayby call to some friends. We don't need such a minor addon in our game ...

But we have 80 levels of mega-dungeon ! yeay lest be happy !

Mayby im also exaggerating in my ironic joke but i believe you got the point :grin:

• Like 1

So if I were to implement a romance subplot in Eternity – I wouldn’t. I’d examine interpersonal relationships from another angle and I wouldn’t confine it to love and romance. Maybe I’d explore it after a “loving” relationship crashed and burned, and one or both was killed in the aftermath enough for them to see if it had really been worth it spending the last few years of their physical existence chained to each other in a dance of human misery and/or a plateau of soul-killing compromise. Or maybe I’d explore a veteran’s love affair with his craft of murder and allowing souls to be freed to travel beyond their bleeding shell, or a Cipher’s obsession with plucking the emotions of deep-rooted souls to try and see what makes people attracted to each other beyond their baser instincts and discovers love… specifically, his love of manipulating others. You could build an entire dungeon and quest where he devotes himself to replicating facsimiles of love, reducer a Higher Love to a baser thing and using NPCs he encounters as puppets for his experimentations, turning something supposedly beautiful into something filthy, mechanical, but surrounded by blank-eyed soul-twisted drones echoing all the hollow Disney-like platitudes and fairy tale existence where everyone lives happily ever after.

As i sad before forceing someone in "not having fairy tale romance" is as bad as forceing someone to "Fairy tale romance".

Complatly dissmising this kind of role play is as bad as forceing someone to it. I already know that i want to play character that want to have romance (or whoud want to) and a character that don't.

And know if "avellones big plan" will work up and there will be no "love" as an emotion for pc character i lose 50% of my game expierence becouse i can play character that wants to have a romance.

If they gonna baned "Anger" as a emotion to then i lose 100% of my game play ... becouse i want to play evil barberian that is angry on any one ...

What's next ? Talking also whoud be banned becouse this will breake immersion or is ego-stroking ?

Just as bad, or perhaps even worse.

There are far more interesting aspects of personal relationships than romance. I'd rather interact about something else.

You see .. i do.

Mayby not 100% joy and happy wood loveing ...

For you  romance is not important for me it is AS important as any other relationship. You have your "vision of your character" i have my own but i don't forebid you having your type of role play... so don't forebid me mine by saying "this is not important".

http://linuxgamenews.biz/2012/11/01/an-interview-with-chris-avellone-on-project-eternity-a-word-on-romance/

FYI that took me 5 secs to find on google with the search terms "Chris Avellone romance interview"

Thanks for this, but we know that this is just his opinion and it doesn't mean Romance\Sex is out of PE.

I still am waiting for official confirmation from Obsidian which we will get :)

John Milton 

Do you imagine that ?

Lest say we have a situation ...

3 weeks before PE ending and game is about to relese :

And Avellone or Sewyer in "Update 1376930"

No Anger option. Your character will not have an anger emotion as possibility  ... becouse we discoverd that baing angry at someone is not so funny and the anger mechanics and expierience for playing this type of person is simply exaggerated by most players. We also worked on Friendship and respect as an "option" but we decided that this will brake immersion for the game and in general is only for ego-stroking and if you want to make some friends go outside for example a park.

and 1 week before reliese

"Update 1376933"

Yes we add two handed- fighting, we add posibility of having two spears the same time, two pistols at the same time. Wewe also add 20 more levels to mega dungeon and make very big stronghold (with armie and possibility of economics). We also dismisst an option for "sadnes" in game. The Gods forbade

people to be sad becouse it interfere with their "SOUL-Based" big plan.

We also dismist a sadnes becouse the "sadness" mechanics are mosty exaggerated by most (who want to be sad ?) but we add 20 lore levels to mega dungeon to make you happy ! YeaY !!

Last update "Update 1376934"

HI California ! :biggrin:

and the rest of the world .... :getlost:

We have finished ! YEAH ! Big WHOOOO!

We ad and option for a player to have a DOG ! Huraay! We also give you some information about Aumaua ... yes they can have two two-handed swords at same time. And we add nev "Orlan" special abilytys.

We also removed the whole "Talking" part of the game. We discovert that there are no need for characters to talk. You can simply join them to your party by giving them 50 gold.

You are still able to make "Battle-orders" the best part of talking part of the game. You can still make orders like "Give me that ****" or "Healer ! Healer ! i need Healer !" we also add 20 levels on mega-dungeon and make a "Crafting ability" Yeah !

We removed "talking" from game becouse we discoverd that most players exaggerated this type of mechanics. We also discoverd that it was not so funny. We discoverd that if you want "To talk" in a game you simply can go to other room and talk to you mom or dad ... mayby call to some friends. We don't need such a minor addon in our game ...

But we have 80 levels of mega-dungeon ! yeay lest be happy !

Mayby im also exaggerating in my ironic joke but i believe you got the point :grin:

Your post made me laugh :grin:

John Milton 

Romance and joy are not mutually inclusive. If you want a joyless game, stick to The Witcher(which has a bit of romance subplot in it).

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

All I know is that i'm allergic to dairy products and the amount of cheese inherent in most rpg romances has repeatedly sent me into anaphylactic shock.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I am pretty sure that this game will deliver in terms of personal relationships with companions.

I really don't think there'll be anything along the lines of the Mass Effect or Dragon Age romances because it's an isometric game. I trust Chris and George will write something interesting.

All I know is that i'm allergic to dairy products and the amount of cheese inherent in most rpg romances has repeatedly sent me into anaphylactic shock.

:grin: You funny

I am pretty sure that this game will deliver in terms of personal relationships with companions.

I really don't think there'll be anything along the lines of the Mass Effect or Dragon Age romances because it's an isometric game. I trust Chris and George will write something interesting.

Well said, well said. I salute you sir !!!  :)

John Milton 

It's not so much a matter of "There's no need for romance in the game" as much as it is a matter of "there's simply no need to build a world devoid of romance." That's the problem with most of them, is that they're artificially injected into the world. What with friggin' romance quest lines, and progressively tiered like-o-meters and "I hope that this response will increase your like points so that we can eventually procreate" chains of dialogue options in between each main quest, at the campfire.

There's no need to specifically put in a brothel or something that can be used just for "hehe"s, and there's no need to have "(Try to do him/her --- CHA)" dialogue options in the game, or a "Seduce" skill or anything. And yet, the notion that sex exists in this world, and that people can develop stronger bonds than friendship, over time, in this game world, can still be easily represented without harming anyone.

I think it does more harm to be all "None of these characters going through all this crazy stuff and saving each other's lives EVER develop fondness for one another" than it does to include that in the game, and simply moderate it in a natural fashion. MAYBE by the end of the game, you've gotten to the "love" point. And you don't need a cliche "There might not be a tomorrow" point right there to illustrate via pre-potential-apocalypse sex to illustrate that two characters have, indeed, developed such a strong relationship. If it's done correctly, then you know that by the end of the game.

Hell, you can even do an off-screen "use your imagination, if you want" thing that's subtle and doesn't actually blatantly suggest anything. That way, it could still affect quests and such. Maybe at a certain point in the game, you stay at some tavern, and someone sneaks into your room, thinking your alone, and tries to assassinate you. But, since you've gotten so close to another character, the two of you share a bed/room in that tavern. That's it. No sex scene necessary, just "you guys literally sleep beside one another." But, SINCE you share a room now, you actually catch that guy (your companion catches him by surprise, since he doesn't know the companion is there, or just because there are 2 of you and one of him, etc.) instead of merely narrowly avoiding being killed and alerting the rest of the party to come in to aid you, which scares off the assailant while you're powerless to prevent him from fleeing. OR maybe your close companion gets injured or poisoned or something (or magically "poisoned" with some paralytic?) whilst injuring the attacker (or cutting a ring off his hand, or an amulet from his neck, or some other clue as to who he is, etc.). So, now you have a different situation. You have to deal with your injured companion, but you ALSO have more information to go on regarding your assassin than you would've if you were in the room alone. (Who knows? I'm not a professional storysmith, so these examples are pretty lacking.)

See? The point isn't sex scenes and saying lovey-dovey stuff. The point is how characters will react differently, and even create different situations to which to react. Then, what the player must deal with, accordingly.

But, that should be the focus. A LONG-term, very trust-earning road. Not a "wow, you're cute, LOLZ!" switch you flip, or a "give her like 5 gifts over teh course of the game, and she likes you more each time until you guys are lovers." Romance should be treated like ANY OTHER relationship, and integrate with the rest of the game, affecting situations and happenings alike, rather than simply affecting the player's entertainment value in watching those two characters and enjoying the fact that they are in virtual love.

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Sometimes romance happens.

Sometimes it doesn't.

It depends on what story is being told, and how it's told, and why.

That said, the devs should play Kindness Coins if they want to include any romance. It's a little game where you are the object of a dating sim protagonist's affections, and it gives anyone who plays it some great insight into how skin-crawlingly creepy most romances in games are. It's a nice "what not to do" primer.

Realistically thats not how human beings behave, sex becomes a coping mechanism and a way to deal with hardships or mental anxiety.

For example during the Blitz in World War 2 in the UK people were huddled together  in shelters while London was being bombed. Sex was common, even though death could potentially have been just a minute away. I had a teacher at school who never knew his father as his mother had fallen pregnant in the dark during one of the German air raids.

There are some circumstances where the whole "sex makes us feel better " won't apply but I can't see any around a party trying to save the world from a demonic entity :)

Well if everyone acts like a teenager, I suppose that might be expected. Our heroes hopefully won't be sitting around waiting to die though, think of a combat team rather than some civilians tempting fate. I'd definitely hope a team trying to save the world would try to not fraternize, weakens the unit and all.

Heh, maybe they should put in romances but no successful ones. So the NPC always dumps you. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Realistically thats not how human beings behave, sex becomes a coping mechanism and a way to deal with hardships or mental anxiety. For example during the Blitz in World War 2 in the UK people were huddled together  in shelters while London was being bombed. Sex was common, even though death could potentially have been just a minute away. I had a teacher at school who never knew his father as his mother had fallen pregnant in the dark during one of the German air raids. There are some circumstances where the whole "sex makes us feel better " won't apply but I can't see any around a party trying to save the world from a demonic entity :)

Well if everyone acts like a teenager, I suppose that might be expected. Our heroes hopefully won't be sitting around waiting to die though, think of a combat team rather than some civilians tempting fate. I'd definitely hope a team trying to save the world would try to not fraternize, weakens the unit and all.Heh, maybe they should put in romances but no successful ones. So the NPC always dumps you. :p

Everyone will be a teenager! PE is really Avellone's high-school RPG!

Realistically thats not how human beings behave, sex becomes a coping mechanism and a way to deal with hardships or mental anxiety.

For example during the Blitz in World War 2 in the UK people were huddled together  in shelters while London was being bombed. Sex was common, even though death could potentially have been just a minute away. I had a teacher at school who never knew his father as his mother had fallen pregnant in the dark during one of the German air raids.

There are some circumstances where the whole "sex makes us feel better " won't apply but I can't see any around a party trying to save the world from a demonic entity :)

Well if everyone acts like a teenager, I suppose that might be expected. Our heroes hopefully won't be sitting around waiting to die though, think of a combat team rather than some civilians tempting fate. I'd definitely hope a team trying to save the world would try to not fraternize, weakens the unit and all.

Heh, maybe they should put in romances but no successful ones. So the NPC always dumps you.

Yes only teenagers romance nobody else ...

Well at least so casually as a form of stress relief, perhaps.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well at least so casually as a form of stress relief, perhaps.

You know in reality you can romance someone just becose you are artacted to someone .. just for you to know.

That does seem to be common :p But not in the context of the post I was quoting.

Could we just split the difference and agree that it would be nice to have the option to romance for those that want it, and the option not to romance for those that don't want it?

I shall not rest until only those who don't want it have the option, and only those who do want it have no such option! u_u...

8). Silliness aside, yes. Romance being forced upon the player would be just as silly as the entire game world being devoid of romance.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u