Relationship/Romance Thread IV

Romance  

431 members have voted

1. 1. How do you define Romance in a game?

• Love (Romance)
    • Sex (Ho-mance)
    • Friendship (Bro-mance)
    • No (Go-dance)
    • Other-mance?

The one thing I hate is that the devs seem to think asking for romance = asking for sex. Sex isn't even a big point in the bg2 romances, which are already simple as hell. In fact, you can screw yourself over in some cases by jumping to it too quickly. I just want to be able to pursue the full spectrum of relationships with my companions. Be it friendships, romances, frenemies, bromances, or whatever. And the characters should stay in character, so if the companions cheats on me, gets mad jealous whenever I interact with other guys/girls, obstains from sex until marriage, doesn't really understand the concept of love so it's a weird wacky sort of thing, or whatever, that's fine too. And preferably, if you do get into a healthy relationship that ends up involving sex or whatever and a romance and stuff, in future games you would get to deal with what comes next stuff. It'd be kind of cool to have a husband and wife team fighting against dragons and solving mysteries together. Or maybe you get into that phase and find out even though you guys made things work in the beginning, in the long run the two of you have opposing views on life and stuff and you can't make it work.

It's actually more work to make what I'd actually want, than a cheap point a to point b with sex at the end romance, which is more of the bg2 style

• 3 weeks later...

The one thing I hate is that the devs seem to think asking for romance = asking for sex. Sex isn't even a big point in the bg2 romances, which are already simple as hell. In fact, you can screw yourself over in some cases by jumping to it too quickly. I just want to be able to pursue the full spectrum of relationships with my companions. Be it friendships, romances, frenemies, bromances, or whatever. And the characters should stay in character, so if the companions cheats on me, gets mad jealous whenever I interact with other guys/girls, obstains from sex until marriage, doesn't really understand the concept of love so it's a weird wacky sort of thing, or whatever, that's fine too. And preferably, if you do get into a healthy relationship that ends up involving sex or whatever and a romance and stuff, in future games you would get to deal with what comes next stuff. It'd be kind of cool to have a husband and wife team fighting against dragons and solving mysteries together. Or maybe you get into that phase and find out even though you guys made things work in the beginning, in the long run the two of you have opposing views on life and stuff and you can't make it work.

There was a thread about sexual content in game .. the poeple reaction was "NO !" .. but as i see from this poll 302 people out of 364 want romance ... why ?

I think that people have realy narrow-minded in that subject. Becouse the only (non real) type of romances they have discovered are from games like BG or BG .. NWN2 or even latest biowere romances ...

I recently started to read a romances and watch some of romance anime (but not those stupid ones) and i jumped to a simple conclusion ...

I did not seen any type of sexual behavior (beside kissing or wake up next someone) why ?

Mayby becouse the whole idea in romances or "love stories" in not so much for ego like "oh you awsome" (in most anime they do even oppisite) or sex sxenes .. but some king of "Happy life" ending ..

For example "The hero who save the villidge, now lives happly with his new wife and his old friends, now he is playing with his son, and somethimes even forgets the horrible experiencec from past etc etc" ...

The problem with most characters form role playing side is that the most of them "at least those who have some brain" will not be adventurer whole life .. so besiacly some day most of characters will want to settle ... and live somewhere get old etc ...

And i think now that romances or love in games, films etc ... are not so much for ego but for some kind of promise that your character will live happly and you don't waste your efforts ...

For example how whoud you feel .. when you win the and  ..you wake up ! (you discover that you where deaming whole time) ? how whoud you feel if you kill the arch-evil .. but then whole bulding colapse on you and you and your whole party are dead and you didn't save the "World" ? It's ok if it's optional but not if its the only possibility ..

From role playing side .. forceing someone (who made his own character) in romance .. is as bad as .. forceing someone (who made his own character) in not having romance ...

By the way ... is there are any news about this subiect ?

Edited by Ulquiorra

So this is still a thing, huh? Just don't make MCA do any of it and it should turn out workable enough, if they go ahead with it. Also if they decide to add romance, they should get Avellone drunk before telling him they're going ahead with it and livestream it or record it and upload it to youtube just so we can see his (hopefully hilarious) reaction.

Aww cmon, they should get him to do at least one romance. That way on my third playthough I'll have a delightfully twisted relationship to go through.

The point is that MCA hates them and hates having to do them.

[blahblahblah]

Guys as has been discussed I think we all know that there will

There was a thread about sexual content in game .. the poeple reaction was "NO !" .. but as i see from this poll 302 people out of 364 want romance ... why ?

I think that people have realy narrow-minded in that subject. Becouse the only (non real) type of romances they have discovered are from games like BG or BG .. NWN2 or even latest biowere romances ...

I recently started to read a romances and watch some of romance anime (but not those stupid ones) and i jumped to a simple conclusion ...

I did not seen any type of sexual behavior (beside kissing or wake up next someone) why ?

Mayby becouse the whole idea in romances or "love stories" in not so much for ego like "oh you awsome" (in most anime they do even oppisite) or sex sxenes .. but some king of "Happy life" ending ..

For example "The hero who save the villidge, now lives happly with his new wife and his old friends, now he is playing with his son, and somethimes even forgets the horrible experiencec from past etc etc" ...

The problem with most characters form role playing side is that the most of them "at least those who have some brain" will not be adventurer whole life .. so besiacly some day most of characters will want to settle ... and live somewhere get old etc ...

And i think now that romances or love in games, films etc ... are not so much for ego but for some kind of promise that your character will live happly and you don't waste your efforts ...

For example how whoud you feel .. when you win the and  ..you wake up ! (you discover that you where deaming whole time) ? how whoud you feel if you kill the arch-evil .. but then whole bulding colapse on you and you and your whole party are dead and you didn't save the "World" ? It's ok if it's optional but not if its the only possibility ..

From role playing side .. forceing someone (who made his own character) in romance .. is as bad as .. forceing someone (who made his own character) in not having romance ...

By the way ... is there are any news about this subiect ?

The reason why the majority of the community want Romance\Sex in the game is because it adds realism and makes your RPG experience more immersive. Think about it for  a second, you have this party that is trying to save the world from this ancient evil and you will be facing countless challengers in your journey. You then have this really attractive Viconia lookalike that is a part of your party, do you really think that you are not going to initiate some kind of relationship with them around the campfire through the hundreds of lonely nights spent together?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The reason why the majority of the community want Romance\Sex in the game is because it adds realism and makes your RPG experience more immersive. Think about it for  a second, you have this party that is trying to save the world form this ancient evil and you will be facing countless challengers in your journey. You then have this really attractive Viconia lookalike that is a part of your party, do you really think that you are not going to initiate some kind of relationship with them around the campfire through the hundreds of lonely nights spent together?

Of course i will.

As i sad before, it all goes down to role play. If i had a normal character MALE (from psychical piont of view) then he will feel atracted to women. As you sad.

The second thing is that the normal character will not allways killing ogres or looking for loots in dungeons. He will think about his future. And one of possible futures he have is a settle down, etc.

In witcher Gerald somethimes even sad something like "Do you realy think that a mutant like me can settle down and become farmer ?" ... he know that he cant't end thats ok.

But if i make my own character .. a want to be able to make more decisions about my future ..

• Like 1

The reason why the majority of the community want Romance\Sex in the game is because it adds realism and makes your RPG experience more immersive. Think about it for  a second, you have this party that is trying to save the world form this ancient evil and you will be facing countless challengers in your journey. You then have this really attractive Viconia lookalike that is a part of your party, do you really think that you are not going to initiate some kind of relationship with them around the campfire through the hundreds of lonely nights spent together?

Of course i will.

As i sad before, it all goes down to role play. If i had a normal character MALE (from psychical piont of view) then he will feel atracted to women. As you sad.

The second thing is that the normal character will not allways killing ogres or looking for loots in dungeons. He will think about his future. And one of possible futures he have is a settle down, etc.

In witcher Gerald somethimes even sad something like "Do you realy think that a mutant like me can settle down and become farmer ?" ... he know that he cant't end thats ok.

But if i make my own character .. a want to be able to make more decisions about my future ..

I hear you and I agree :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The reason why the majority of the community want Romance\Sex in the game is because it adds realism and makes your RPG experience more immersive. Think about it for  a second, you have this party that is trying to save the world from this ancient evil and you will be facing countless challengers in your journey. You then have this really attractive Viconia lookalike that is a part of your party, do you really think that you are not going to initiate some kind of relationship with them around the campfire through the hundreds of lonely nights spent together?

Majority ?  Hm, probably, think there was one of those horribly designed polls long ago that indicated that.  Thinking about that, if the party is on a crucial assignment, I'd probably hope no one would initiate some romantic nonsense with one another - needless distraction from the task at hand and trying to fight alongside one's romantic partner probably diminishes effectiveness (think fraternization).  

I suppose it could be 'immersive' to some kinds of people.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Jesus Christ, this is still discussed.

If you want more realism just ask Obsidian to ship the game with a rock inside. 

Seriously, videogame writers suck at writing romances - you're asking them to do the impossible and its going to make the game even more hammy than fantasy videogames already are.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Majority ?  Hm, probably, think there was one of those horribly designed polls long ago that indicated that.  Thinking about that, if the party is on a crucial assignment, I'd probably hope no one would initiate some romantic nonsense with one another - needless distraction from the task at hand and trying to fight alongside one's romantic partner probably diminishes effectiveness (think fraternization).  

I suppose it could be 'immersive' to some kinds of people.

Realistically thats not how human beings behave, sex becomes a coping mechanism and a way to deal with hardships or mental anxiety.

For example during the Blitz in World War 2 in the UK people were huddled together  in shelters while London was being bombed. Sex was common, even though death could potentially have been just a minute away. I had a teacher at school who never knew his father as his mother had fallen pregnant in the dark during one of the German air raids.

There are some circumstances where the whole "sex makes us feel better " won't apply but I can't see any around a party trying to save the world from a demonic entity :)

• Like 1

John Milton 

Seriously, videogame writers suck at writing romances - you're asking them to do the impossible and its going to make the game even more hammy than fantasy videogames already are.

Nah, I was pretty happy with the Romances\Sex in BG2 and the Dragon Age series so I don't expect the unreasonable

John Milton 

I think that it will be discussed until obsidian officialy confims that in PE we will have romances or we don't. But even then there will be propably 2-3 more topics (discusions) made by people that will by disapointed by any decision.

We wont "ask Obsidian to ship the game with a rock inside."

but this dos not mean many people (and I) will want a solitre or hack-and-meingles-slash game like diablo 3  ... where the only reason for playing that game is to relese some frustration killing armies of demons etc.

The realism is not the main point in my opinion (becouse being sexual/romanticly actinv or simply "fall in love" is the same realistic as not being sexual/romanticly activ)

As i sad before.

In game where you create your own character and in some way your own story (difrent decisions, difrent classes, difrent personalitys or even endings) Forceing someone to have romance is as bad as forceing someone to not having it.

It whoud be almost the same if they give only "Fighting" classes and no mages or magic useing classes. If ythey do so, people who want to play mages (and nothing more) will be at least very disapointed or even don't play this game.

Classes in games like BG, NWN, IWD etc. Are not only for some kind of "Excuse" for a player to having some abilitys ... but this is also a big part of role play in it. For example mages in D&D word was not only "Magic users" like in Dragon Age but also scholars, and generaly "Wise and intelectual people" ... so player played the game from that perpectiv ..

As a wise, scholar, highly smart, bookworm ... not a guy that only knows "Fire ball" spell.

The personal traits like "character that can fall in love or at least sexual activity" and "Character that is loner, and will never fall in love or any deeper relationships" are just another way to role play ...

the sentence about "****ty romances in video-game" is part tru.

BUT

Not for all ... for example NWN2 Mask  romances was in my opinion good, also playing BG2 recently i was ok with them ...

The problems about romances in games is that in most cases devs thinks that romances are for "Ego-stroking" ... se Leliana romance in DA-O it was made to cure some complexes of players ... that romance was only for ego-stroking .. whole "ohhh you have a big dragon there" and whole her apierience was for players ego to feel important ...

Watch any anime, it has wery good example of not-ego-stroking romances when characters girl offten is "not-friendly" at the beginning and even at the and she does not transform intu sex-toy ... i sudgest strongly Bakemonagari  (propably the best tsundre character in anime).

also Morringan romance from DA-O was good but unfinished ...she was not some kind of mindless slave like leliana .. she have her own point of view. But they screwd up the ending of it ...

I think that making a Morrigan type of romance with possibilyty to influence that character be player (turning her personalyty more evil if romancing evil char or mor good if romancing good character) reinforced by some more realistic ending then "impregnate me and we will not see ech other again" ... and we have propably the best possible romance in video-game ...

Even makeing Ashey from Mass Effect type of romance (but as bitchy witchy) witch conditions above and we also have good romance.

I did not finnished BG2 but i heard from several people that Jaheira romance was also pretty good.

At the end the whole part "they can't whrite romances but they can whrite anything else" is also unconvincing to me. They can whrite complexed motivations, history of characters, personal relation like "My worst enemy" or "My best friend", they can create a complexed story-line, races, classes, game word, mechanics, etc etc etc. ... but not love afection ?

I think that it's not the skill problem but lack off eforts.

See that the worst romances or unfinished ones are mostly cused by lack of time spending on it. Elanee romance was horrible becose it (and character) was in some way unfinished, Morrigan and lelianna was also unfinished (morigan character was but not romance, leliana was made alsmost like they created her i half an hour and the same for romance)

I think that 1 guy in one year can create at least one romance plot (even if he don't have skills it is possible to take some inspirations from movies, books and other). If you think that romance-book writher was born with thw skill of writhing romances and they naver made mistake or never put any effort to see or learn something to help you are wrong.

I even read that some guy was colecting materials for his book 3-4 year before writhing a single word on peaper.

Edited by Ulquiorra

This thread just won't die will it?

Just let Obsidian do what they want. You don't need romance to make a game good or realistic, and the inclusion of romance will not cause the game to implode and turn into a Bioware crap heap.

Also, can we actually talk about other kinds of relationships besides romances?

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

This thread just won't die will it?

Just let Obsidian do what they want. You don't need romance to make a game good or realistic, and the inclusion of romance will not cause the game to implode and turn into a Bioware crap heap.

You are correct but only if the game has one partagonist created by devs. If a player creates his own character by his "vision" and his "Vision" contains it he whoud not be able to play his character the way he wants. So it's downfall from role playing side.

Also, can we actually talk about other kinds of relationships besides romances?

Of cource we can. I whoud like to see your opinion about for exampe woman-man friendship ... (with no sexual hint or love hint) how whoud you like to see it ? (is it possible ?)

By the wan i think that we are still talking so much about romances becouse nobody has problem with other relationship like "if you ad friendship option i will not play this game" or "of some one will hate me in this game i will take off my backing !" ... but when it comes to romances it's getting dirty ...

....and when those Call of Duty kiddies see that artwork of Cadegund and her gun they'll invade the boards like the biblical locust swarm and demand PE to be turned into an action RPG with massive shootouts every two minutes.

Oh wait, that didn't happen....

As long as the Dev's keep the romances tasteful, high quality and made for adults I don't see an invasion of fanatics invading this forum anytime soon.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

You are correct but only if the game has one partagonist created by devs. If a player creates his own character by his "vision" and his "Vision" contains it he whoud not be able to play his character the way he wants. So it's downfall from role playing side.

Choosing how to play the PC does not involve controlling how NPCs react to the PC.

Of cource we can. I whoud like to see your opinion about for exampe woman-man friendship ... (with no sexual hint or love hint) how whoud you like to see it ? (is it possible ?)

As a man, I am perfectly able to be friends with a woman without wanting to have sex with her or loving her.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

As a man, I am perfectly able to be friends with a woman without wanting to have sex with her or loving her.

Ahh, but when was the last time you were pulled into an adventure that resulted in saving the world, with a female companion at your side the entire time? o_O

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Ahh, but when was the last time you were pulled into an adventure that resulted in saving the world, with a female companion at your side the entire time? o_O

Well I have had to work on projects alongside females, close enough?

End of the world... Project deadlines... roughly the same thing, sometimes. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

End of the world... Project deadlines... roughly the same thing, sometimes. :)

Well, looks like it is time to start a war with Best Korea, then set out with a female companion to see of I can stop Kim Jung Um from destroying the world and not become sexually attracted to and fall in love with said female companion while doing so.

Maybe I could provoke Oby into getting Best Korea to fire some rockets or something...

• Like 1

There won't be a romance in this game, I can already feel it.

Either way, I couldn't give a ****. In fact, I think I'm at the point of giving negative 10 ****s.

Whatever happens, the fallout is sure to be spectacular.

Either way, I couldn't give a ****. In fact, I think I'm at the point of giving negative 10 ****s.

Whatever happens, the fallout is sure to be spectacular.

That would be an egregious mistake if Romance is left out. And if that happens I'll....I'll...I'll sulk, yes I'll sulk. So THERE Obsidian !!!!

John Milton 

That would be an egregious mistake if Romance is left out. And if that happens I'll....I'll...I'll sulk, yes I'll sulk. So THERE Obsidian !!!!

Buy over 9,000 nega-copies of PE just to spite them!

• Like 1