Relationship/Romance Thread IV

Romance  

431 members have voted

1. 1. How do you define Romance in a game?

• Love (Romance)
    • Sex (Ho-mance)
    • Friendship (Bro-mance)
    • No (Go-dance)
    • Other-mance?

Romance with the companions are simply boring. I had enough of it in Baldur's Gate. What about something new? Why not marry barmaid or some other simply woman, or when you become richer and stronger for your deserts for the king, he gives you knighthood. Than you can arrange marriage with some princess/baroness etc., and live with her in your fortress. Or don't have any wedding, just woman/guy in every town or be a polygamist.

All of this could be with some interesting quests.

That sound very much like Fable series.

While Mass Effect failed in many areas, one thing they did do a very good job with is the relationships.

Especially with Garus and Tali.

Garus was the ultimate bromance for a male character. He was that kickass best friend who you grow to love over time, who you can compete with, joke with, smack around when smartassing, all of that. The bridge scene in ME3 with Garus was friggin' brilliant.

I would love to see that level of friendship form with party members in PE.

As for Tali, she was incredibly well done (until the end of ME3).

Firstly, in the first game she wasn't presented as a love interest, she had more of that "little sister" vibe going. She was there beside you, a trusted companion, someone who could praise you or point out your faults. At the same time, she had a kickass personality (well defined, made sense during various scenes, wasn't "cliche"). She naturally became the object of desire for countless players. Hell, I would have taken her over the other options in the original game.

As the games progressed, she matured in a way that made sense considering everything that was happening. She didn't blindly throw herself at you as some characters did, at the same time she didn't give you the cold shoulder until some arbitrary event happened. Her relationship had a very natural feel to its progression. Some characters were basically just "there" until the trigger kicks in for them to jump you. Tali grew on you, and the closeness between you could flow into either a close friendship or a romance, and either way felt "right".

Another thing that made Tali so desirable was her mystery. You never saw her face (until the horrible stock photo incident of ME3). :p

While she was clearly feminine, she was fully covered (yes, it's a racial thing, but it added to her charm). Other women were given sexy outfits or made out to be tomboys, without a sensible design to them. Is the super low cut skin tight spandex really the best thing to be wearing for any reason other than flaunting sexuality?

A hint of something is often far more seductive than flaunting it. You don't need to make a woman a sex object to make her desirable. Make her REALISTIC and that will have far more impact.

Also there's nothing wrong with the young innocent approach to a character. It was party of Aerie's charm in BG2.

In fact BG2 generally did a great job with the female love interests (never played a female character so can't comment on the men).

You were given a decent array of personalities, from the serious woman to the young naivete to the seductress. The only real problem was that the romances didn't really flow well. There were some decent scenes, but they tended to trigger artificially. You didn't so much have a natural flow to the relationship, rather just the next arbitrary relationship option conversation. That definitely needs to be worked on for PE.

• Like 6

I don't know if I want romances. They usually feel very contrived in games. Sure, there are some exceptions, but overall...

I would like the opportunity to develop special relationships with some of my team mates, however. Not everyone should become a best friend and confidant just because you get enough Influence points or w/e. Some could become rivals who stays with you out of a grudging respect, drinking buddies to just shoot the breeze with without ever delving into "feelings", mentors, mentees, or... pretty much anything - depending on their personalities, how you treat them, the moral decisions you make throughout the game, etc.

Sure, some relationships could even be flirtatious in nature, but they don't have to evolve into grand love stories.

But, as long as there are more options than just Best friends, Neutral, and "I hate you and/or disagree with your actions, so I'm going to leave/kill you", I'll be satisfied.

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

One thing I'm absolutely against however, in any capacity, is the Bioware Sex Scene. You know the deal--fade in--ass--fade out--fade in--shoulder--fade out. It's quite possibly one of the most awkward and unpleasant things to watch in games today and it needs to stop. Please just fade to black or something. These scenes are not rewarding at all nor are they necessary in any capacity. They're really, really unpleasant. This would be fine if it was just something Bioware did but I saw it a while back in one of the Assassin's Creed and I said "Okay no this is becoming a problem."

But.. but... mannequin sex is the pinnacle of human graphics technology. Why, without mannequin sex you would be reduced to merely accepting an event occurred. The developers couldn't show you the depth of the character's emotion and connection. Not to mention it would put the guy they specifically hire to do the lingerie graphics out of work.

I don't think its the sex scene itself that is the problem, I think it's just how awkward the movements are. Someday animations may get to the point were we can do better than mannequin sex, but until then I think I actually agree that fading to black is probably best.

• Like 1

Oh god not again........

Let me make this as simple as possible......

Some people want romance in games because they believe it enhances the game.

Some people do not want romance in games because they don't believe it enhances the game.

We should just let Obsidian do what they want with the game and avoid throwing bombs at each other or arguing with strawmen.

Or we can actually discuss other types of relationships besides romances if people keep things civil.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Peter Van Buren described his Iraq war-time friendships amusingly. "(We) became close to one another in the intense but temporary way of relationships formed in war, like twelve months of one-night stands."

Don Malarkey, WWII veteran, described the company he kept as "the most talented and inspiring group of men that I have ever known’. After healing from wounds sustained in combat, he described reuniting as returning to "a bright home home full of love."

It's not Biowaromance. I guess this falls under bromance

• Like 1

"(We) became close to one another in the intense but temporary way of relationships formed in war ..."

"the most talented and inspiring group of men that I have ever known’.

"a bright home home full of love."

Well, that definitely prove that constant situations with danger to life and saving each other involved - wouldn't let much space for estrangement in group. If there are only men in squad - it's bromance. Otherwise - anything more.

Oh god not again........

Let me make this as simple as possible......

Some people want romance in games because they believe it enhances the game.

Some people do not want romance in games because they don't believe it enhances the game.

We should just let Obsidian do what they want with the game and avoid throwing bombs at each other or arguing with strawmen.

Or we can actually discuss other types of relationships besides romances if people keep things civil.

I agree with you but don't forget to add that Romance\Sex also adds to more immersive interaction with your party members, I think thats key.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have a friend who deployed to Baghdad and shared a room with her husband. Both were military police and did missions, but in separate platoons. In one very honest and open conversation she said something along these lines: "Everyone assumes that we had sex regularly. The truth is, at the end of our missions, we were just too tired."

So in a traveling party there would be little opportunity, privacy, or energy for a regular physical relationship.

Imagine a conversation that begins with, "Hey honey, I know I just force marched the party for 17 hours over rough terrain, eating the cheapest dry rations I could find to help afford that new sword I wanted, and you are probably still a little tender from getting shield bashed in the face from yesterday, but....you know...what about us time?"

Edited by clippedwolf

I have a friend who deployed to Baghdad and shared a room with her husband. Both were military police and did missions, but in separate platoons. In one very honest and open conversation she said something along these lines: "Everyone assumes that we had sex regularly. The truth is, at the end of our missions, we were just too tired."

So in a traveling party there would be little opportunity, privacy, or energy for a regular physical relationship.

Imagine a conversation that begins with, "Hey honey, I know I just force marched the party for 17 hours over rough terrain, eating the cheapest dry rations I could find to help afford that new sword I wanted, and you are probably still a little tender from getting shield bashed in the face from yesterday, but....you know...what about us time?"

Nah I can't agree with that logic, when you have the responsibility to save the world on your shoulders and every night this hot dark elf in bikini chainmail implies that she wants to ravage you horribly I am confidant you will find energy?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Nah I can't agree with that logic, when you have the responsibility to save the world on your shoulders and every night this hot dark elf in bikini chainmail implies that she wants to ravage you horribly I am confidant you will find energy?

Actually, stress and tiredness have a very negative impact on the libido. Studies prove it, so this isn't something where you can say "I don't believe it", because it's true. Having the responsibility to save the world on your shoulders would surely cause a lot of those two, don't you think? It would have an impact in your sex life for sure, no matter how favorable the circumstances are.

Besides, what if you're not into "hot dark elves in bikini chainmail"? I am so totally offended now, you know. I demand you apologize for discriminating against straight women and gay men in your example. Right now :bat:

Edited by Lurky

That's true, but in most games you only live under those conditions for short periods of time (usually while pursuing the main quest).

You get a lot of opportunities for R&R in most cRPGs. I tend to spend a lot more time just walking around aimlessly, shopping, drinking, gambling, and even helping random strangers than I do on actual quests. So being able to find the time and energy to visit the local brothel or flirting up someone in the party doesn't seem all that implausible to me.

Edited by Agelastos
  • Like 1

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

It is unlikely that the events in PE will regularly be as intense as patrolling in 105F weather under the blazing sun. As a general rule.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

I agree with you but don't forget to add that Romance\Sex also adds to more immersive interaction with your party members, I think thats key.

While I believe that it does, not everyone sees it that way.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Actually, stress and tiredness have a very negative impact on the libido. Studies prove it, so this isn't something where you can say "I don't believe it", because it's true. Having the responsibility to save the world on your shoulders would surely cause a lot of those two, don't you think? It would have an impact in your sex life for sure, no matter how favorable the circumstances are.

Sex can actually act as a stress relief though, studies have shown it. Very strange that stress can be alleviated by sex, yet causes a loss of libido.

Also, I really dislike reducing romance to simply a way for sex. If that is all it is going to be, then it shouldn't be implemented in PE. Not that sex should be ignored (it does occasionally happen after all), I just think that there are other things to focus on(like character development and thematic purposes) that would fit an Role-Playing Game better.

• Like 1

Reading over these threads I'm still at a loss as to what the issue is here, if the plot calls for romance, then it should have romance. As for sex, its supposed to be a mature game involving human, presumably adult protagonists.

Well this attitude shows that people wanting romances are just not very smart as the only even remotely representative poll was when a question was asked, if you are willing to sacrifice something like gameplay elements, C&C (not with whom to sleep with, although some games like love boat theme in their games), story, interesting relationships (not getting into digital panties) and etc.?

Another thing is that this poll is not statistically significant as most of the people have gave up on these threads and topics long time a go. Only representative thing would be a questionnaire sent to PE backers, cause I somehow have a feeling that most of the people who voted yes here are not even backing the project.

On a side not I would recommend romancing a real woman, with real breasts, vagina, joy and personality. It beats jerking off to digital pixels by huge margin.

For me the single most astonishing relationship in my gaming experience was (prepare for big surprise) in Planescape Torment of course,

I mean Fall From Grace was brilliant character and to boot just that kind of I love the most, one who stands to whatever is it's usual depiction, not to mention she was the most kindest soul TNO could met, there was no erotical tension no sensual stuff no flat out loud said promises, more like it was in nice and clever conversation and mutual respect, and of course the end was most touching.

Annah was just another great example and that nice allegory on "hot chick" was outstanding and hilarious, I admit in her case it would not be of harm to develop few more advancements with TNO relationship, on the other hand, the way you just knew how much she is in love, but is unable to spit it out and keep it hidden inside, was almost painful, and when her fiendish blood took over her and she sprung out in impulse, just to get to her sense moment later after which she immediately felt sort of embarrasment, great stuff great stuff I say, in all her behavior I saw very hardened person on outside, but inside she could not suppress simple fact that she is after all girl with sensitive heart who long to be respected and to appreciated,to receive honest praise not false sweet talk. (on unrelated note, Annah is probably one of the very few females I'd go straight for :biggrin:)

I admit I am not best one to express habove written stuff, this was the best way I could express it, so to close it up, relationship in game as I see it can be so much more rewarding through the means of great writing, without some flashy bed action cutscene and personally these kind of relationship in whcih you can read between te lines and feel mutual tension, but it never gets fully confessed are ones that strikes me as most powerful.

Personally, the one relationship I would like to see (but will most certainly not be in PE, cuz this is stuff for different setting), would be the one that is unusuall in term of different ... body.. type..thing... or whatever to say it. Like I mean every romantic option was so far always with humanoids, and frankly having romantic option with female NPC with two arms, two legs, two large you-know-what and pretty face, usually brings out in imagination that Main Hero will be in love with her and eventually end up in bed, even if not included in game itself am pretty sure imagination do this thing. So my idea would be romantic option with different type of humaniod, like with centaur woman, where she'll be greatly written character anyone could feel for and overall be likeable character, while in the same time would get this resentment thanks to the lower body animal part, so all kinky stuff could go bury itself, but romance would be still strongly present and why not on intelectual level like FFG for instance. So just a quick idea but I hope I expressed what I really meant.

Edited by Ywerion

"Have you ever spoken with the dead? Called to them from this side? Called them from their silent rest? Do you know what it is that they feel?

Pain. Pain, when torn into this wakefulness, this reminder of the chaos from which they had escaped. Pain of having to live! There will be no more pain. There will be... no more chaos."

Kerghan the Terrible,

first of the Necromancers,

voyager in the Lands of the Dead.

Well this attitude shows that people wanting romances are just not very smart as the only even remotely representative poll was when a question was asked, if you are willing to sacrifice something like gameplay elements, C&C (not with whom to sleep with, although some games like love boat theme in their games), story, interesting relationships (not getting into digital panties) and etc.?

That assumes that....

1. Having romance means that gameplay, C&C, story, and interesting relationships automatically suffer if romance is included in the game
  2. Obsidian is incapable of creating an interesting romance
  3. The sacrificed content in question was even being considered to be put in PE

Assumption 1 is not provable, Assumption 2 is entirely subjective, and Assumption 3 is not known at the moment. If you're going to make a statement, please use facts instead of assumptions.

Another thing is that this poll is not statistically significant as most of the people have gave up on these threads and topics long time a go. Only representative thing would be a questionnaire sent to PE backers, cause I somehow have a feeling that most of the people who voted yes here are not even backing the project.

You do realize that you've just made two statements without any evidence to support them up, right? The problem with making assumptions without evidence is that you are incapable of proving them. Also anyone can draw any conclusions they want from the incomplete data. One could postulate that the individuals who do not want romance are an extremely vocal minority, or that they did not donate as much to PE as those who would like to see romance in PE. Of course there is absolutely no evidence to support either of these claims, so they would be talking out their ass, as you are now.

On a side not I would recommend romancing a real woman, with real breasts, vagina, joy and personality. It beats jerking off to digital pixels by huge margin.

Here you assume that if someone wants romance in a game, they play a self-insert. You do realize that some of us are not under the assumption that the PC is the player, right? I would recommend that you stop assuming the motives of people. It beats making baseless statements that you cannot prove.

• Like 5

That assumes that....

1. Having romance means that gameplay, C&C, story, and interesting relationships automatically suffer if romance is included in the game

2. Obsidian is incapable of creating an interesting romance

3. The sacrificed content in question was even being considered to be put in PE

4. Assumption 1 is not provable, Assumption 2 is entirely subjective, and Assumption 3 is not known at the moment. If you're going to make a statement, please use facts instead of assumptions.

1. No of course not. Money, time and energy come from nowhere and you don't have to sacrifice anything to implement anything.

2. Interesting romance? What is that supposed to mean? How a story about getting into someones panties can be called interesting?

3. Anything is better than seeing characters destroyed by lame & immature lines to justify the need of sex in the dungeon before last boss. Or even pressing a wrong number and finding someone's **** in your charters ass, is also an attractive option.

4. HAHAHA.

1. You do realize that you've just made two statements without any evidence to support them up, right? The problem with making assumptions without evidence is that you are incapable of proving them. 2. Also anyone can draw any conclusions they want from the incomplete data. 3. One could postulate that the individuals who do not want romance are an extremely vocal minority, or that they did not donate as much to PE as those who would like to see romance in PE. 4. Of course there is absolutely no evidence to support either of these claims, so they would be talking out their ass, as you are now.

1. Google the meaning of statistical significance. Is this the IQ of a romance fan?

2. Nobody can draw conclusions from incomplete data, because it's meaningless.

3. I have a hard time believing that they donated at all, but that's irrelevant as I said that "I HAVE A FEELING".

4. So you need evidence to have feelings?

1. Here you assume that if someone wants romance in a game, they play a self-insert. 2. You do realize that some of us are not under the assumption that the PC is the player, right? 3. I would recommend that you stop assuming the motives of people. 4. It beats making baseless statements that you cannot prove.

1. No? Porn hub still has a hentai section IIRC and "The English Patient" or "Titanic" can be downloaded any time. Problem solved.

2. Am I supposed to care why you want **** pixels?

3. Dude, there are hot lines that give counseling for free or you can share your problem with a doctor and he will help you. Church or actually finding a woman/man could also be an alternative. You have to remember that if you spend time in romance thread you will never find one!

4. I thought I escaped such poster when I left gamespot. Guess not.