As the thread implies:

Let's encourage Obsidian not to make Borderlands 2.5 when it comes to internet references. Personally I'd rather not see any but if they must it'd be nice if they were extremely subtle or obscure (Fallout: NV did this well, Zybourne Clock).

No Gangnam dance contest or tired warriors complaining that they used to have a soul but then they took a bullet to the knee or whatever it is that's popular these days.

• Like 8

I wouldn't worry about that too much. Borderlands acknowledged what it is and wore it proudly. If this is anything like older IE games then the popculture references will be subtle if noticeable at all.

Do not criticize a fish for being a turtle when it is, in fact, a fish.

Well fallout has quite a few monty python refs...

but i agree. we're adults here and this is an adult game. the gimmicks can be left for the kids who eat that stuff up.

/gets off high horse.

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I wouldn't worry about that too much. Borderlands acknowledged what it is and wore it proudly. If this is anything like older IE games then the popculture references will be subtle if noticeable at all.

Fallout 2 was one of the worst offenders of all time in this regard. A modern player now has to go through groan-inducing references that were out of date in 1998.

Pretty sure MCA has stated directly that that is something they will never, ever do again. And thank god for that.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind a few, a few, pop culture references, so long as they're clever, subtle, and somewhat timeless. Monty Python jokes, old IE game references, etc, are fine. No gangnam style, troll faces, or any other internet memes, period.

• Like 1

By popular demand, in PE, spells will not fail, there will be no trolls and your number of kills cannot go over 9000. Thanks

So long as my characters don't facepalm on a spell fail, trolls don't assualt me with "lol u mad?", and Vegeta's disembodied voice doesn't scream "over 9000!!!!!" when I reach 9001 kills, these are still a-ok. ;)

• Like 3

I agree that keeping memes and the like subtle is a good idea, but keeping them completely out of the game? Nah, I trust the writing and world building skills of Obsidian enough to have them in without it becoming too much.

I agree that keeping memes and the like subtle is a good idea, but keeping them completely out of the game? Nah, I trust the writing and world building skills of Obsidian enough to have them in without it becoming too much.

The question really is:

Can you do a medieval meme? :D

There is literally no chance that PE will be Borderlands 2.5 (for the record, Borderlands 2 is my GOTY.) Easter eggs have been in games for decades, you can't stop them, and there's no risk of anything ham-fisted or forced from Obsidian.

Edited by AGX-17

The question really is:

Can you do a medieval meme? :D

Of course you can :) (And I mean even on top of all the regular fantasy/medieval tropes like trolls under bridges and evil witches)

Arrows in knees, food with not too much rat in it, lying about meat pies, polearm jokes, Noober, cylindrical crates with odd but familiar runes on them, competing for kills ("That still only counts as one!"), are just what I can come up with off the top of my head.

Considering how many hidden in-jokes were in the first Fallout without most people noticing them, I'm sure it's possible to do the same for Project Eternity withtout it becoming too much unless you're completely adverse to even minor, obscure memes, jokes, and easter eggs.

• Like 1

Memes are always stupid, and have no place in an even remotely serious game.

"It is an extraordinary act of courage to come to know a stranger's pain. To even consider such a thing demands a profound dispensation, a willingness to wear someone else's chains, to taste their suffering, to see with one's own eyes the hue cast on all things -- the terrible stain that is despair."

-Tulas Shorn

"Toll the Hounds" by Steven Erikson

I'm all for memes and easter eggs.

People who are agaisnt them have no sense of humor and they stink like poo. :p

Ermergerd, I used to go "NO WAI!" like you, but then over 9000 bases belonged to us and Epic Win happened because of Chuck Norris.

Edited by TrashMan

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Memes are ok if they fit the game. BL2 and Fallout have a dark comical atmosphere throughout the game so memes, easter eggs, and pop culture references worked and didn't upset the atmosphere. DA:O for example had a more serious tone and as such there really weren't any of these things, at least not that I noticed. So if it fits within the tone of the game I welcome them. If not it's not big loss.

Personally if they do include things I'd rather they take a nod to things that are already 'classic' and standing the test of time. As much as I enjoy BL2's trap card reference that's not going to stand the test of time, in a few years people won't know what the hell Zero is talking about.

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.