274 members have voted

1. 1. Lan Support?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Borderlands-like server system.

I think that what we all want more than anything is for P:E to grow into a strong, recurring IP our beloved Bugsidian can hold up and say "this is our's, bitches!" and I think that could really allow a more numerous following to coalesce compared to the currently rather mercenary format of projects performed.

A series of postulations forming a proof:

1. Project Eternity's first installment's success is desirable and will lead to more P:E and financial independence for Obsidian in general

2. Resources (time\money/personnel\QA testing) spent on MP are resources not spent on the SP

3. Project Eternity has limited resources that are being applied to a refined, traditional experience

4. MP is not a part of or encapsulated within the defined experience of the team leaders for P:E (although it was a part of some traditional examples)

5. MP can be added if there is another P:E (pipeline et ketra no longer an issue, lots of basic assets to work from, hopefully more denars to throw around)

Then it's a question:

Would you rather the first P:E have MP,

or would you rather there be subsequent iterations that could add MP along the way?

Food for thought (obviously I am not infallible and this proof was quickly constructed, so maybe it's all just a load of horse**** but I hope it was a better format for my thoughts than blocktext).

CORSAIR, n. A politician of the seas. ~The Devil's Dictionary

• 3 weeks later...

Neverwinter Nights style with persistent world, and DM Client who can make quests, will be perfect.

Tools for moding, DM Client (give xp, make items, put monsters, npc, roleplay with this npc, make quest for players, make worlds alive), and support for players servers with persistent worlds (no original story, just stuff make with modding tools).

This will be perfect game... Not so hard to make. Obsidian, just think about this, and don't close this door. Modding scene will make all other work.

With this option you can also play with friends in original campaign, but can make much much more.

Pen and paper sessions in game.

• Like 1

Neverwinter Nights style with persistent world, and DM Client who can make quests, will be perfect.

Tools for moding, DM Client (give xp, make items, put monsters, npc, roleplay with this npc, make quest for players, make worlds alive), and support for players servers with persistent worlds (no original story, just stuff make with modding tools).

This will be perfect game... Not so hard to make. Obsidian, just think about this, and don't close this door. Modding scene will make all other work.

With this option you can also play with friends in original campaign, but can make much much more.

Pen and paper sessions in game.

LOL

You're obviously not here for Project Eternity.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I'm hoping that the modding community can give us LAN support. I've happily supported PE through kickstarter but seeing as I no longer play sp games, this is probably my only opportunity to experience PE

"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing that is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

So Neverwinter Nights isnt good RPG single player game?

It was make by Obsidian, same people who make Project Eternity. Its a way to make game eternity. Multiplayer with people who make storys. No number 1 goal, but if Obsidian will think about multiplay mode of game, it will be very nice if they think about DM Client like NWN (or just make open window for this, modding community will make all other job)

Edited by Wloczykij

• 2 weeks later...

Huge dev time, DM client, even huger... :skeptical:

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

The games you played when you were small were obviously not IE games such as Baldours Gate etc as they all supported co-op play. It's perfectly reasonable for fans of the IE games who are looking forward to PE to ask for a multiplayer option.

"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing that is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

The games you played when you were small were obviously not IE games such as Baldours Gate etc as they all supported co-op play. It's perfectly reasonable for fans of the IE games who are looking forward to PE to ask for a multiplayer option.

Unless, you know, the game he played when he was small was Planescape: Torment which had no co-op play.  And was an IE game.

And excepting the fact that, very early on in the Kickstarter campaign, they said they weren't looking at making a multi-player game.

And despite it being an option, I'd argue Baldur's Gate didn't really support co-op either, since it was such a crappy multi-player experience - but YMMV.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I found BG2 with multi-player tedious as everyone had to wait for people to get done with vendors and forced dialogue and all that every time you hit a town.  I understand people enjoyed it, heck I actually enjoyed it myself - but that was because I was playing with friends and got to hang out with same, not because I thought the actual implementation of multi-player in BG2 worked well.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I agree that the resources should firstly be spent on making the game smooth and perfect in SP. That said, I would still love to tackle places like The Endless Path with the girlfriend. I hope for a co-op patch or expansion at some point after release

I found BG2 with multi-player tedious as everyone had to wait for people to get done with vendors and forced dialogue and all that every time you hit a town.  I understand people enjoyed it, heck I actually enjoyed it myself - but that was because I was playing with friends and got to hang out with same, not because I thought the actual implementation of multi-player in BG2 worked well.

You know the debate about co-op has drifted into the Twilight Zone, when someone arguing against the idea admits to liking it because he got to hang out with friends while playing the game. Just in case you haven't yet worked it out Sherlock, this is precisely why people are hoping for it to eventually be in PE.

John Stuart Mill

You know the debate about co-op has drifted into the Twilight Zone, when someone arguing against the idea admits to liking it because he got to hang out with friends while playing the game. Just in case you haven't yet worked it out Sherlock, this is precisely why people are hoping for it to eventually be in PE.

I thought I enjoyed the co-op on the IE games until I came to these forums and discovered I was wrong. Today I learned that the game doesn't even support co-op! :p

Not entirely sure why you feel the need to be insulting; I'm pretty sure that I made my point rather clear but since you seem to misunderstand:  I enjoyed hanging out with my friends.  I would have enjoyed hanging out with my friends whether we played BG2 or not; in fact enjoying hanging out with my friends was not enhanced at all by playing BG2.

There wasn't fun for me in waiting for everyone to buy from a vender, wade through long dialogue sequences and other sundry things that made playing BG2 in multiplayer tedious when playing it in single player wasn't.  Ergo, to my mind the multiplayer aspect of BG2 was poor; had it been good I'd have enjoyed the experience of playing the game as well as hanging out with my friends.

By your logic, as long as you enjoy hanging out with your friends any game has excellent multiplayer.

• Like 1

This would only make sense if Project Eternity would be the only multiplayer game. There are many games you can play with your friends, if you don't like single-player games then this game is not for you. Edited by AwesomeOcelot

Ergh. No. Please no.

One of the reasons I backed this game was because it was supposed to be a throwback to the days of great single player RPGs where you get AI companions with fun backstories and stuff and do some tactical combat all on your own. I would honestly be terribly disappointed if Obsidian turned it into "Project Eternity: Borderlands Co-op Edition".

Co-op usually means the either the single player is unbalanced or the co-op play is unbalanced. Honestly for the budget that is going into this game, I can't see them being able to add multiplayer to the title anyway, at least not without adversely affecting the single player campaign. I'd definitely prefer they stick to the original throwback vision and not bow to the social gaming trend in most games these days.

There's plenty of games to play with your friends. But there's still something to be said for a singular experience imho.

• Like 1

I think the strange arguement here is the idea that people who want co-op somehow don't want a good single player campaign.  For me this misses the point, while I agree that single player is the priority, I want both.  I don't even care if the multiplayer is unbalanced, just stick in the most rudimentary of shoddy have-to-know your friends IP address kind of multiplayer with the minimal amount of concessions required to make the thing work and as soon as I'd finished my solo campaign I'd probably be back and buy my girlfriend a copy to playthrough in coop.

I know this isn't going to happen before the inevitable chiming in on that.  That doesn't prevent wishful thinking.

Milath: It's not a "social gaming trend from most games these days" if you are duplicating a thing from a 15 year old game and 3 out of 4 of its followups that this game is ostensiably a successor to.

I think the strange arguement here is the idea that people who want co-op somehow don't want a good single player campaign. 

Well, that's not really it.

It's more that people with no interest in MP/coop don't like the idea because adding this would take development resources - time and manpower, that they would rather see spent on making an even better SP game.

Others are concerned that adding support for MP will either mean substandard MP, or compromaises that would negatively affect the SP.  Anyhow, the discussion is irrelevant - this game is not going to have MP or do-op play, so why not just let this subject die...please....