The main character is a victim of the event. What do you think this event might be? What will be most interesting premise to you? Here's possible options for the Event:

1. Betrayal (classic)

2. Wrong place wrong time (two ultimate rivals and you in the middle)

3. Infusal of Power at a cost (a deity who curses/blessess you)

4. Your Soul is Lost yet you still live and function (my favorite)

5. You gain/have A powerful and crucial-to-the-plot soul. (talk to your soul option plz)

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Only boring people get bored

I don't think I have seen all information about the story yet that some of you may have read. But with a soul-centred setting and P:Ts story in my memory I would think that you are correct with your expectation of that your soul/part of your soul gets stolen/lost and your body still lives and you want to get it back and then later realise that not being affected by things other people with souls are also gives you other unique roles to play in the history of the world (well the usual saving the civilisation/world stuff).

Edited by Rink

Why does the game need an event at all? Why not just have the character going into the world with the wide eyed intensity of the country boy going to the big city? If an event is needed to propel the quest it doesn't need to revolve around the main character at all. It's not like we are going to not play the game if the event doesn't involve us directly ;)

• Like 2

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” ― Robert E. Howard

:)

Not a fan of victimized heroes myself, I find endogenic motivations much more interesting and inspiring. But if I have to go with it I'd take Osvir's number 6. You could witness/ be caught in some extraordinary event, like a magical cataclysm, the ascension of a god or an epic summoning gone wrong. Only over the course of the game should you come to understand what exactly it was you witnessed.

• Like 1

Hm. I'm not sure on the "lose soul and carry on" aspect. Since from whats been said you need the soul to do any of the magic... Having a pc with no soul and able to use magic would undermine the whole world setting...

I can see some form of uber-strange curse affecting the soul, mixed in with being in the wrong place at the wrong time.. but not getting it torn from you.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Not a fan of victimized heroes myself, I find endogenic motivations much more interesting and inspiring. But if I have to go with it I'd take Osvir's number 6. You could witness/ be caught in some extraordinary event, like a magical cataclysm, the ascension of a god or an epic summoning gone wrong. Only over the course of the game should you come to understand what exactly it was you witnessed.

^That makes me tingle in all kinds of ways. Also, the Eclipse in Berserk :blink: want to throw up a video but it's kind of disturbing

^That makes me tingle in all kinds of ways. Also, the Eclipse in Berserk :blink: want to throw up a video but it's kind of disturbing

Maybe this could be an event but not the event.

Also,

Why does the game need an event at all? Why not just have the character going into the world with the wide eyed intensity of the country boy going to the big city? If an event is needed to propel the quest it doesn't need to revolve around the main character at all. It's not like we are going to not play the game if the event doesn't involve us directly ;)

Because it would be boring otherwise. Why would your farm-raised (merchant/whatever) boy/girl leave the farm without some sort of call to action? Why would anyone in their right mind leave the security of their mundane surroundings to go fight monsters? Even Jack in the Bean Stalk has a call to action. Why is your country boy going to the big city?

The story you are talking about country boy goes to city, witnesses some event, and then buys his plow and returns to the farm is very boring.

Yeah, I like to have a built-in reason for my PC's adventuring. Motivation was always a bit of a weak spot in some games - I'm thinking of Icewind Dale 2, for example. It's a little weak where 'adventurer' is just another profession, like 'blacksmith' or 'salesman'.

Which isn't to say that we need to lean on anything too cliched for motivation.

...Sheila's fine. Sheila's safe.

I posted this reference in another thread eariler on and I don't think anyone got it. I'm glad to see so many likes on the original comments and a response. Warms my heart.

As for real content, I like the idea of a great event as it starts a chain of changes off in the world. I hate being the only one in the game that doesn't know what's going on. I always imagined that the event would be an explosion of power or the appearance of a god. Just something that would change everything.

Good evening. Stay indoors.

The protagonist witnessed a life changing nay world shattering event, some fool poured the milk before the tea, and thus was wiped from existence by the gods. Rightly bloody so.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The event might not have anything to do with you personally, you might be the only witness to something major and

Maybe you witness something which has far reaching implications for the world, an imposter taking over the throne or a much loved ruler turning out to actually be a baddie...but no one believes you and you have no evidence

I'd like this actually, Id like the player to be an ordinary(ish) character in extraordinary circumstances rather than some powerful figure

Other potential character motivations: 7 sins style

Envy, that Villains chap has a lot of cool stuff I wants it

Boredom, meh there's nothing to do. May as well pick up dads sword and go adventuring

The Love interest, Chicks dig the heroic save the world type right?

Self Promotion, I am goddam fantastic. I'll go kill a dragon and every will realise just how fantastic I am.

Anger, That mad bastard necromancer killed my horse. I'll kill him.

Money, I need money and you need people to stop stealing your sheep and setting fire to your farm. I accept most major forms of coin or gem.

Hunger, I was raised by a necromancer who wanted to help me find my killer. He tasted nice. So did the townsfolk. So will you.

yeah boredom isn't really sloth but sloth is fairly anti adventuring

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

You find out about the secret that the gods have been trying to misdirect the sheep populace from.

You become an avatar of a god and gain forbidden knowledge.

The fabric of reality unravels.

A previous soul takes control of your body and makes you do horrible, nasty things (like hit on everything in a tavern, man, woman or animal).

You die and somehow came back to life intact.

Someone touched you in the wrong place.

Because it would be boring otherwise. Why would your farm-raised (merchant/whatever) boy/girl leave the farm without some sort of call to action? Why would anyone in their right mind leave the security of their mundane surroundings to go fight monsters? Even Jack in the Bean Stalk has a call to action. Why is your country boy going to the big city?

The story you are talking about country boy goes to city, witnesses some event, and then buys his plow and returns to the farm is very boring.

Yes, God forbid a rebellious young farmer would ever want to leave the boring farm country he sees day after day to go see that big wide world right over the horizon without witnessing a soul shattering event of some sort :p ... maybe we have the Sir Edmund Hilary (make that George Mallory ;) ) of farmers ("because it was there") or the We Bought a Zoo version "Why not" ... just saying it is an option not totally out of the realm of possibility :cat:

Edited by Thangorodrim

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” ― Robert E. Howard

:)

The event might not have anything to do with you personally, you might be the only witness to something major and

Maybe you witness something which has far reaching implications for the world, an imposter taking over the throne or a much loved ruler turning out to actually be a baddie...but no one believes you and you have no evidence

I'd like this actually, Id like the player to be an ordinary(ish) character in extraordinary circumstances rather than some powerful figure

This is the kind of stuff I like. A hero who has had his illusions shattered, doubly cursed now with knowledge that makes him an outcast, or even actively hunted, by the society to which he once belonged.

I also prefer quests/plots revolving around solving a mystery by collecting together clues and information.