Clichés you WANT to see in Project Eternity

I have just seen Josh Sawyer's rendition of The Impossible Dream from Man of La Mancha. And I totally want to see a Don Quixote character-type in PE.

This.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I have just seen Josh Sawyer's rendition of The Impossible Dream from Man of La Mancha. And I totally want to see a Don Quixote character-type in PE.

This.

If there was a character following that song. I would go to the end of the world with that character. I'm getting carried away a bit, but I just listened to approx. 15 different versions of that song and I just love everything about it.

. Edited by SophosTheWise

Elan_song.gif

There's one cliché (and it's a cliché not just a trope) that I actually like in my CRPGs is the "Go into this cellar and kill some rats". I like subversions of it as well, but I like it to be in my CRPGs in some form. Most good CRPGs have some form of this AFAIK, from the start of Fallout, a questgiver in Candlekeep in Baldur's Gate, the human noble story in Dragon Age: Origins, to the cranium rats in Planescape: Torment. And lots of others I've forgotten I'm sure.

Killing rats in a cellar at the beginning of your adventure is just iconic by now, and it feels like greeting an old friend when I do a quest like that :)

• Like 1

chainmail bikinis or MageTower! :sorcerer:

I really hope there's a chainmail bikini in-game, but is gender restricted to men only. That would be a nice "cliche" for you horn-dogs.

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

My favourite D&D spell is 'Summon Bag of Angry Cats'. I think it's a cantrip but may be a level one spell and it's purpose is fairly simple. You summon the bag and throw it at someone. Good fun and possibly lethal for the low level mage who fails their toss check, as your common D&D housecat is capable of damage in excess of level one wizard hit dice. And you just fumbled a bag of them.

I also like the cliche of whimsical cursed objects. Nothing terribly damaging or disadvantageous to the player and fun, with a sense of self-aware humour. Most fantasy games have 'bags of holding' or whatever. I would like to see a cursed object that can't be dropped or removed from inventory, where some jackenape of a wizard, or whizzard if you will, has sewn a never-ending bag of cats into a bag of holding. You can still put stuff in the bag and take stuff out, it's still a fully functional dimesional pocket capable of holding many things. It's just full of cats, an absolute infinite number of them and every time you go to take something out a bunch make that bold leap for freedom. You're stunned for one round, however, your Aumuau chanter was an absolute hit at the New Yarma Orphanage since you showed up with free kittens and that rat-hunter quest in Road's End was just cake.

An initial quest where a family of rats hires someone to remove your party from their basement!

Edited by Gurkog
  • Like 2
Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

the cliqe , that I want to see is an adventure, pure and simply, some type of journey from, simple zero to the great hero, the story doesn't need to be about saving the world , but I would like to see that form of progress, like in BG or NwN 2 we start as a peasnt/ shelttered child and at the end we have our own castle, and can face of god.( now if this happen I would prefer to not have battle, with him, gods fight are cheap in rpgs, the same thing is happening with dragons)

life itself is a big cliché... thousands of years now we humans are insane, as we keep repeating the same idiotic actions expecting a different result...

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

life itself is a big cliché... thousands of years now and we humans are insane, as we keep repeating the same idiotic actions expecting a different result...

wow, so deep... no, not really ,"life is cliche" is cliche sorry for this spam ;)

Edited by Cryticus

life itself is a big cliché... thousands of years now we humans are insane, as we keep repeating the same idiotic actions expecting a different result...

At it's basest form yes, but technology brings great change.

Though not a change of mind.

Elan_song.gif

At it's basest form yes, but technology brings great change.

Though not a change of mind.

Nah, it even brings that. Which is why its difficult for a modern reader to not go through the Old Testament and think, 'Damn, that's harsh!'

I'm sure to the ancient mind turning women into pillars of salt made perfect sense.

But on subject: I want elves to live in forests and frolick and live forever and embody all that is joyous and good in this world. I want them to remind me repeatedly how little they can understand the short-lived races, with our wars and our petty jealousies.

And then I want to be able to burn them from their homes and kill them to the applause of neighboring settlements.

• Like 1

I think one of the main cilches I want to see is innocents being hardened by the task at hand. This is EVERYWHERE in fantasy games and books. However I confess that I like it. I like Rand al'Thor leaving two rivers full of hope and a desire for adventure only find out that being hunted is in fact awful. Forced to make hard choices without being prepared in anyway for the life he was being thrust into by events. Struggling with the things he'd done. Then coming to terms with it. Lliara in ME was similar as she was a dreamer in ME1, disillusioned and a bit ruthless in ME2, and struck a balance between the two in ME3.

I would only request that where it's done you be given the choice to guide either the PC or NPCs going through such a change either towards finding a balance between the doe eyed dreamer and harsh reality OR guide them to being hardened and cold. Even though it was a bit thin in exicution I did enjoy this aspect of Alistair's and Leliana's stories in DA:O.

I certainly don't expect everybody to agree with this as sometimes the bright optimistic part of the cliche is annoying rather than endearing (Aerie) but I'd like to see 1 or 2 characters like this, preferably in the companions. They could also just start disillusioned and tell you about their innocent youth and you could go from there to cut out the potential annoying first bit.

• Like 1

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

I want to see:

• Animated dead with no will of their own (this does not exclude the existence of sentient undead)
  • Evil magic- users making unsavoury pacts with otherwordly powers to increase their knowledge and abilities (really, I never tire of this cliché)
  • A prophecy whose interpretation creates a plot twist (an established cliché since ancient Greece)
  • Platforms floating in space (The Astral Plane where you encounter Myrkul in MotB, the Arcane Sancuary in Diablo 2, the dream scenes in BG2, la Calle Perdida in Lionheart, and so on...)

Also, I really like all the clichés of H.P. Lovecraft's fiction. These could hardly be called clichés in a general sense, but I wouldn't mind if parts of the game were heavily Lovecraft- inspired.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"