Some thoughts about armor and clothing

What about composite armor, like in Ultima Online or Siege of Avalon, or maybe Morrowind? I mean that in all of those games you do not wear armor on naked body, in UO you can wear leather/cloth stuff under you armor. In Avalon there even more realistic system, you can wear chain armor under you plate armor.

siege_screen002.jpg

Also it will be awesome if you add ability to wear robes, cloaks, tunics over you armor. They can add some additional bonuses or just used for social features. For example, if you want to tell everyone that you are member of some guild/fraction you can wear surcoat with heraldic of your fraction, and npc's will react you as a member of whateveryouwant. Also it will help you to recognize allies and enemies.

Untitled-2.png

Also, it is very interesting how you will divide armor items. Will it be "classic five": helmet, gloves, chest, boots and belt. Or it will be more progressive, like morrowind one.

morrowindscreenshot1154.png

I think that freedom of combinations is much better and interesting than standard sets created by developers.

What you think about this?

• Like 1

I think that this is a really cool idea :)

I also think that this might get merged into the general Armor merged thread. Hopefully not because this is a specific armor idea that I'd like to see discussed and developed (On-topic), whilst the Merged Armor thread seems to be countless collected different ideas discussed across several pages.

Edited by Osvir

I also think that this might get merged into the general Armor merged thread. Hopefully not because this is a specific armor idea that I'd like to see discussed and developed (On-topic), whilst the Merged Armor thread seems to be countless collected different ideas discussed across several pages.

Do you think it will be better to copy this post here?

Edited by IvanD

If you want too, this is fine :)

I was just writing for everyone to see (specially moderators) that I'd personally like to see this idea further discussed specifically because it is a great idea.

* Some issues that might arise is that it is naturally more complicated than having:

Example A,

"Leather Amor: 1 Defense" it's simple, easy, it defends 1 damage. You can add on extra effects in paragraphs and description fairly easy and it's simple to manage in the inventory (think Baldur's Gate Equipment).

versus

Example B,

"Leather Armor: Padding: Durability: Maintenance: Thickness" in different sections is naturally more intricate. Then we have other "Humanoids" or playable races and factions. Would they have specific layering depending on their race/class?

For simplicity's sake (an example):

1 Leather Armor with 3 customizable slots.

Padding: 1

Thickness: 1

Durability: 1

Finding a Padding +1 would make the Armor naturally better in one way, likewise with Thickness +1. There could be cons in choosing 1 over the other for certain situations. Pros with this system is that you can quickly make 9 different types of armor, if you get +1 point 3 times during 1 gameplay. Likewise if you +1 point 9 times in the game you can suddenly 27 different builds. Please correct me if my math is completely wrong. [3 stats]x[3 points]=9? [3 stats]x[9 points]=27?

Perhaps it even could look something like this:

1 Leather Armor

[slot1]

[slot2]

[slot3]

And you can find "Plating" which you can equip into one of the 3 slots *shrug*

The real issue is in having to do the same for "race specific" gear, "class specific gear", Each having "Tier 1-3", and all following this "upgrade" pattern. More parts would have to be created than with the first example. Unless there some simpler way of handling it of course.

Maybe in some way you describe it? It's a good idea :) I like the Avalon interface.

Edited by Osvir

piecemeal armor, any Darklands fan would approve of that.

This ties in with another question of mine, wether there will be different sizes of armor (normal, Auamaua, Orlan) like in Arcanum. That would speak against piecemeal armor because of it would be a huge hassle.

• Like 1

I particularly like the Surcoat idea. Just being able to wear something like that over your armour to give yourself a specific look and to display perhaps your allegiance to certain factions would be awesome!

• Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I think layered equipment is only really necessary on the torso (maybe legs too). I think this equipment system would be nice:

Hat/Helm

Necklace/Amulet

Cuirass/Surcoat/Robe

Shirt/Hauberk

Vambraces/Bracers (paired)

Gloves/Gauntlets (paired) or Rings

Weapon

Off Hand

Greaves (paired) or Belt

Pants/Chauses

Boots/Shoes (paired)

Quiver

Edited by mcmanusaur
  • Like 1

There was a video from the Royal Armouries released in 1978 titled "How a Man Schall be Armyd". This footage is not from that, but some of the links following are.

Enjoy!

Edited by TRX850
  • Like 1

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

There was a video from the Royal Armouries released in 1978 titled "How a Man Schall be Armyd". This footage is not from that, but some of the links following are.

Enjoy!

That is exactly what I meant when I was spoken about composite armor! Nobody

wear breastplate without any "under armor" stuff.

What it has to do with the pack animals? :)

But back to topic, I think that the idea of composite armor is a good one. But should it come in "sets" or just be joined any time at inventory screen. If it came in premade sets (or upgrade screen) it could reflect the quality of the item. Not just the materials of the plate mail, but also what comes under it, the whole package. That could really be both simple and elegant solution, as opposed to "Adamentium full plate shield studded with diamond +10". Although I still want talking sword +20 :D Doing everything in inventory screen would add a lot too, but for some players might be too time consuming or over complex.

What it has to do with the pack animals? :)

But back to topic, I think that the idea of composite armor is a good one. But should it come in "sets" or just be joined any time at inventory screen. If it came in premade sets (or upgrade screen) it could reflect the quality of the item. Not just the materials of the plate mail, but also what comes under it, the whole package. That could really be both simple and elegant solution, as opposed to "Adamentium full plate shield studded with diamond +10". Although I still want talking sword +20 :D Doing everything in inventory screen would add a lot too, but for some players might be too time consuming or over complex.

Because the Pack Animals idea (Or extra storage, which a pack animal really is) is a part of the "Inventory and Equipment Management" category, I'd say Armor and Gear you equip falls into that category too. Whether the pack animals are implemented or not, it's something to ponder on imo.

Edited by Osvir