Property in PE  

201 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about character property ownership in PE?

• MOAR! I want my character to be part-wizard, part-real estate tycoon!
    • I don't care about owning half the world, but I want a lot of options!
    • Why diversify my assets when I can just have one pimped out stronghold?
    • I just want somewhere with a chest to store excess inventory, honestly.
    • I think allowing property ownership degrades the game's atmosphere.
    • I don't care; the devs are infallible so I know they'll make the right choice!

If you're me (which you're not, but you might be like me), one of the worst things in certain RPGs is how there are designated player houses/bases (think Oblivion or Skyrim, I guess). Now for something like a stronghold that is presumably somewhat customizable it makes sense that there is only one choice. But should there be a variety of designated houses to choose from, or should players be able to buy any residence in the game (within reason) for their character? And should we be able to invest in any shops, businesses, guilds, etc.? Should there be something more to do with money than buy the most ridiculous magic bling equipment?

• Like 1

I'm not trolling... This is serious...? I don't see what about this would lead people to jump to the conclusion that this poll is troll...

I think investing in businesses and property is an interesting endgame option for RPGs where otherwise it's just a matter of buying ridiculous enchanted items. But I can see how some people wouldn't like the idea (though just like romance it would obviously be optional). As far as I can tell, with the stronghold stuff there will be some element of this in Project Eternity (unless I'm interpreting that horribly wrong), but it's a matter of how many options people want.

So yeah... next thing you know my treatise on mechanics (first link in sig) is going to be called a troll thread?

Edited by mcmanusaur

Interesting idea. Makes me think about Morrowind/TES. Fable springs to mind too.

This is what I voted.

"Why diversify my assets when I can just have one pimped out stronghold?"

Just want to correct that I want a pimped out world, and think that each section of it should be given just as much consideration (some more than others, given the difficulty it takes to implement it; i.e. proportionally as much care as everything else).

I am very sorely tempted to take the pimped-out stronghold vote, but I'd also like just a few basic properties scattered around for convienience. Then again, I guess that's what inns are for. Excuse me while I go change my vote a minute...

Edit: A little early to be ringing the troll bell, aye? Questioning about a topic doesn't necessarily infer trolling, lets see where this thread goes before deciding.

Edited by Pipyui
  • Like 1

Fool me once shame on you... fool me twice....well ya aint gonna fool me again.

Obvious troll is obvious. You even have "troll" in your little title.

Just put nikolokolus on ignore; he's always trolling topics he doesn't agree with.

Edited by bonarbill
  • Like 2

I would, in fact, like the option to patronize as a side-feature/quest. Remember the kids you could equip with weapons in Umar Hills in BG2? Or Prism the painter in BG1? Imagine speaking to an artist down on the ropes and choosing not only how much money to give, but also what kind of advice to give him, and much later in the game, you will get to see how he has fared as a result of your advice and patronage, and you might also get an additional small quest or two opening up. Similar to the Bard stronghold in BG2, but less involved, and still fun.

Real Estate has obvious implementation issues.

• Like 6

I would, in fact, like the option to patronize as a side-feature/quest. Remember the kids you could equip with weapons in Umar Hills in BG2? Or Prism the painter in BG1? Imagine speaking to an artist down on the ropes and choosing not only how much money to give, but also what kind of advice to give him, and much later in the game, you will get to see how he has fared as a result of your advice and patronage, and you might also get an additional small quest or two opening up. Similar to the Bard stronghold in BG2, but less involved, and still fun.

Real Estate has obvious implementation issues.

I got a kick out of the unlikely band of adventurerers in NWN2 who you met your Crossroads Keep. They seemed to be bumbling their way through life, but actually ended up being rather helpful, and were quite entertaining in the process. Something like that could be fun in PE.

• Like 3

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

The goal of PE could be to create a huge housing bubble with medieval style option ARM loans, stated docs passing for evidence of income, and a huge sub prime lending scam that allows anyone with a pulse to obtain property.

PE2 could be an MMO where the Dyrwood is in a deep recession due to the goings on in the original game. You spend the game trying to secure a job and improve your medieval style credit rating so you can get a new place to live

Will you stay on the straight and narrow, or will you participate in the growing svef trafficking market, earning your income via less than noble means?

The choice is yours!

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I just want a safe enough place to dump all my excess loot. I have attachment issues and can't get rid of anything. But I don't want to be responsible for a household, I already do that in real life.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239

I liked how you could buy any property in Fable and make gold from it.

Honestly though, it's low on my list of priorities.

I know we get player housing already, and I'll probably enjoy getting very stoned and decorating my virtual house, but if it's not robust I can always run my private ultima online server to get my decorating fix.