Fallout 4 Obsidian Petition

WastelandShadow

I think it was Sawyer who said once said on his tumblr that Obsidian never got a share from the sales of the games they made, although there sometimes gain a bonus when the game reaches some numbers.

Bethesda being painted as a daemonic entity of pure evil and greed for the Metacritic thing always seemed silly to me. They missed it by one point, if memory serves. That's a case of bad luck, not Bethesda having set unreachable goals or Obsidian overestimating the quality of their game.

Well if it seemed silly to you i suggest you should look at their games and metascores one more time. I don't believe their evil intentions or smth but please, they made a Fallout game which you can kill a super mutant very early in the game, actually you could kill every monster easily with V.A.T.S, superpowered guns all over the place, retarded character leveling, dumbed down choices and difficulty. And they made these with a terrible game engine. But hey? They always get high metascores. But not enough for Obsidian? Seriously? I don't believe that. I think there is smth wrong in this.

Oh i remembered that awful VATS! That was the only system to make 10 year old kids jump into a military base and kill super mutants. 

Fallout 3 was a disaster for me. F:NV was ok though. That engine broke down the game but it was ok. I played it and enjoyed it much. Looking forward to play a Fallout game made in the hands of Obsidian. With a better engine of course.

It seems to me the low metacritic score was a direct result of the bugs at launch which was a result of the unreasonably short development time on that horrible engine, and Bethesda's complete lack of QA on the project. So yeah, **** them.

I would actually like to have seen the game done with zero QA time spent on it.

Heck, there's a part of me that would love to archive a build from 3-6 months before launch and include it as a bonus feature in the collector's edition or something, but sadly no one ever seems to go for it :(

Fallout 3 was "good". Nothing more, nothing less. It suffered from limitations of engine and like it or not it was first Fallout for Bethesda.

Fallout: New Vegas was Very Good despite engine limitations same as F3. Thing is story, world, plot all were superior. While I myself would prefer it was Obsidian doing next Fallout I have hope Bethesda learned a trick or two from Obsidian.

I don't think anyone should antagonize Bethesda though. Thanks to them we even got Fallout 3 and New Vegas because they revived the brand. Also because Bethesda makes F4 now we can see Project Eternity :)

It seems to me the low metacritic score was a direct result of the bugs at launch which was a result of the unreasonably short development time on that horrible engine, and Bethesda's complete lack of QA on the project. So yeah, **** them.

It's silly to believe that Bethesda would actively sabotage a title they were spending big marketing and development money on. Heck, I'd need to dig through old-ass archives, but I remember there being some controversy about them apparently making a site pull a negative review... hardly sounds like they were sabotaging the metascore to deny Obsidian their bonus (I don't know the contract specifics by the way, and it should be noted that they only missed it by one point with the PC version, the console versions were both a few points under 85).

It's silly to believe that Bethesda would actively sabotage a title they were spending big marketing and development money on. Heck, I'd need to dig through old-ass archives, but I remember there being some controversy about them apparently making a site pull a negative review... hardly sounds like they were sabotaging the metascore to deny Obsidian their bonus (I don't know the contract specifics by the way, and it should be noted that they only missed it by one point with the PC version, the console versions were both a few points under 85).

Of course they didn't do it purposefully, that isn't the point.

• 6 years later...
On 11/8/2012 at 8:43 PM, alanschu said:

As someone that enjoyed Fallout 3, I think that it being set in the Fallout Universe is ultimately a net positive. I enjoy the setting, and little things like bumping into my first BoS patrol was the type of thing that made me smile.

The problem is that it is not the Fallout setting —it is their own personally skewed and inaccurate interpretation of what they think is recognizable about the Fallout setting.

EDIT:
BTW,,, These massive youtube videos seen below existed as unobtrusive text links in my sig, but the new board software interprets them as full-size embeded videos. :(
(... and there seems to be no obvious way for be to edit or change them.  Would someone kindly PM to me instructions for how to edit my sig?)

Edited by Gizmo
Crazy software settings