Fallout 4 Obsidian Petition

WastelandShadow

So there is this petition to get Bethesda to contract Obsidian to develop Fallout 4. I didn't start it but I feel like promoting it anyway because I really wish they would. So where other than the official Obsidian forums to get support? I know it is a long shot but what else can we do? It only takes a few minutes and there is a chance however small that it will work.

I'm pretty sure Fallout 4 is already in development...

very early development they were last seen getting location shots so still a long way off.

As much as I preferred New Vegas to 3 I doubt Bethesda are going to let anyone make the main game of the franchise.

I would think they would contract someone to do another New Vegas style game. After Obsidian got screwed by Bethesda over 1 lousy meta-critic point I don't think they will be interested without some sort of guarantee going forward.

• Like 1

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

After Obsidian got screwed by Bethesda over 1 lousy meta-critic point I don't think they will be interested without some sort of guarantee going forward.

I think they'd jump on the opportunity, actually, if that was the only problem. The contract was clear, and they failed to meet the clause for the bonus. Sucks? Sure. But it's not like they didn't know about it, and by industry standard (as far as I'm aware, most contracts include similar caveats, and often for metascores in the 90s rather than the 80s, which are much more difficult to meet) this was pretty.. okay? Frankly the press blowout about the whole situation was fairly weird, it was well-known among the press and even enthusiasts that publisher-developer contracts included clauses like that, and as far as messed up development cycles go, Fallout: New Vegas actually seems to have gone decently smooth.

• Like 2

Yes, Fallout 4 is in early development. It would be awesome if Obsidian would make the game, but i think its far fetched. But I`m shure Fallout 4 will be good whoever makes it. My bet is on Bethesta Game Studios.

2 atoms walk into a bar, the one says " I believe i have lost an electron!" the other says " Are you sure?" the first atom says " I'm positive! "

very early development they were last seen getting location shots so still a long way off.

Those rumors are just rumors and they were posted on reddit of all places. I take them with a grain of salt.

After Obsidian got screwed by Bethesda over 1 lousy meta-critic point I don't think they will be interested without some sort of guarantee going forward.

I think they'd jump on the opportunity, actually, if that was the only problem. The contract was clear, and they failed to meet the clause for the bonus. Sucks? Sure. But it's not like they didn't know about it, and by industry standard (as far as I'm aware, most contracts include similar caveats, and often for metascores in the 90s rather than the 80s, which are much more difficult to meet) this was pretty.. okay? Frankly the press blowout about the whole situation was fairly weird, it was well-known among the press and even enthusiasts that publisher-developer contracts included clauses like that, and as far as messed up development cycles go, Fallout: New Vegas actually seems to have gone decently smooth.

I agree.

As much as I want Obsidian to develop more open world Fallout I'm not sure a petition which kiiiiiiinda insults Bethesda is the right way to go about it :p

If they are in any way insulted, I don't think it is the petitioner's fault. They were honest, Beth pretty much screwed up the franchise.

A lot of the art assets if not the engine looked quite dated when FONW came out, probably that it didn't look polished was a determining factor in failing to meet the bonus critera.

Yes, so many these days care more about graphics than gameplay and story.

Yes, Fallout 4 is in early development. It would be awesome if Obsidian would make the game, but i think its far fetched. But I`m shure Fallout 4 will be good whoever makes it. My bet is on Bethesta Game Studios.

As I said above, the Boston thing is just a rumor. If it is going to be made by BGS, I at least hope they learn some things from NV, like branching dialogues and quests, and hire some better writers. But from what we have seen from FO3, they seem to only care about exploration and making the game more like TES, and after playing Skyrim, that worries me greatly.

• Like 2

If they are in any way insulted, I don't think it is the petitioner's fault. They were honest, Beth pretty much screwed up the franchise.

Fallout 3 isn't Van Buren and it was never going to be but did Bethesda really "screw up" by making Fallout a household name again?

Their screw up also gave Obsidian their chance to show how Fallout in an open world should be done 8)

Fallout 3 isn't Van Buren and it was never going to be but did Bethesda really "screw up" by making Fallout a household name again?

Their screw up also gave Obsidian their chance to show how Fallout in an open world should be done 8)

That is true I guess. If it weren't for Bethesda, who knows where the series would be. But it still doesn't change how I feel about Fallout 3 itself.

• Like 1

That is true I guess. If it weren't for Bethesda, who knows where the series would be. But it still doesn't change how I feel about Fallout 3 itself.

It's difficult to talk about ifs, but the narrative about Bethesda saving the franchise from Oblivion is also false. There were other bidders for the franchise, Bethesda just offered more money. I don't doubt that the franchise would have strayed away from its roots even when not in Bethesda's hands, though, turn-based RPGs just aren't so hot with publishers.

• Like 1

It's difficult to talk about ifs, but the narrative about Bethesda saving the franchise from Oblivion is also false. There were other bidders for the franchise, Bethesda just offered more money. I don't doubt that the franchise would have strayed away from its roots even when not in Bethesda's hands, though, turn-based RPGs just aren't so hot with publishers.

I know all about the possible bidders. You are probably right about Bioware, but I don't think Troika would have done the same. They were actually making a turn based RPG that looked very similar to Fallout 1&2, but in 3D when they went out of business.

People's hatred for Bethesda is silly, The no mutants allowed site is a testament.

Why is it silly? If you take one game that people love and drastically change it to appeal to a different audience, of course it's going to ruffle some feathers.

• Like 1

Why is it silly? If you take one game that people love and drastically change it to appeal to a different audience, of course it's going to ruffle some feathers.

It's fine to hold on to old things, but you cant shut your eyes and say "NEW IS BAD" and make death threats at Behesda Devs, which they did.

• Like 1

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

It's fine to hold on to old things, but you cant shut your eyes and say "NEW IS BAD" and make death threats at Behesda Devs, which they did.

Well this isn't about death threats or being stuck in the past. Fallout 3 was linear, unbalanced, and the story made no sense.

• Like 1

Well this isn't about death threats or being stuck in the past. Fallout 3 was linear, unbalanced, and the story made no sense.

Alright, Codexian, thank you for your opinion, I was highlighting why some of the hatred for Bethesda and F3 is silly.

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Alright, Codexian, thank you for your opinion, I was highlighting why some of the hatred for Bethesda and F3 is silly.

How does that have any relevance to this topic?

• Like 1

"Hardcore RPG Fans" Not wanting the holders of the IP to make the game?

Right, but why bring up nonsense about death threats and nostalgia. It doesn't apply to every person who'd prefer Obsidian made the game.

Edit: The behavior of fans isn't even relevant to this topic anyway. This is about the game and who would create it, not the fans.

Edited by WastelandShadow

Yes, but people need to get it off their heads that Bethesda has ruined the franchise.

Whether Obsidian or Bethesda make Fallout IV, it don't matter, it'd still be a top game.

My opinion? Let Bethesda continue the "East Coast" storyline while Obsidian follows the "West Coast" storyline, set in the same world but not that dependent on each other.

Fallout IV is most likely taking place is Massachusetts anyways.

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

What did Miami look like like in the 50's?

Besides, Florida would be a good excuse to add lots of glorious swamp landscape :)

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I know all about the possible bidders. You are probably right about Bioware, but I don't think Troika would have done the same. They were actually making a turn based RPG that looked very similar to Fallout 1&2, but in 3D when they went out of business.

Frankly speaking, Troika would have never gotten the license, they were already in a precarious economic standing. Besides, they still would have needed to go through a publisher to get the funding, meaning that, most likely, they would have had to go with a compromise turn-based/real time with pause hybrid. That never works well.

Those rumors are just rumors and they were posted on reddit of all places. I take them with a grain of salt.

I agree.

As much as I want Obsidian to develop more open world Fallout I'm not sure a petition which kiiiiiiinda insults Bethesda is the right way to go about it :p

A lot of the art assets if not the engine looked quite dated when FONW came out, probably that it didn't look polished was a determining factor in failing to meet the bonus critera.

Yes, so many these days care more about graphics than gameplay and story.

As I said above, the Boston thing is just a rumor. If it is going to be made by BGS, I at least hope they learn some things from NV, like branching dialogues and quests, and hire some better writers. But from what we have seen from FO3, they seem to only care about exploration and making the game more like TES, and after playing Skyrim, that worries me greatly.

I actually liked the exploration part from Fallout 3. But i agree with you, NV did a far better job in the dialoge and writing department.

I guess i got too excited about the Boston thing that i didn`t think the "rumor" part through... Pretty silly of me actually.... :facepalm:

And Fanboys really need to calm down. I`m a huge Fallout fan. I like the old ones and i like the way the new ones are progressing. People shouldn`t be offended for a game they didn`t make.

Edited by quantum_freak

2 atoms walk into a bar, the one says " I believe i have lost an electron!" the other says " Are you sure?" the first atom says " I'm positive! "