Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Project Eternity MMO?

Project Eternity sequel MMO MMORPG Project Eternity Online

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

Poll: PE MMO (147 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see a Project Eternity MMO?

1. Yes, sounds awesome. I can't wait to throw my money at Obsidian! (14 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

2. No, I don't like the sound of that at all, but I'd probably buy it anyway. (133 votes [90.48%])

Percentage of vote: 90.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Nanakamado

Nanakamado

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

The poll options were simply meant as a sincere reassurance to Obsidian that we will support them in whatever they do, but I understand if some people are uncomfortable with that notion. [...] Now, I suppose I can tolerate some ad hominem attacks along the way in people voicing their obviously strong opinions on this matter, but I do ask that you keep that to a minimum. Thank you.

Well if you ad option like:

Where's the "I would never, even under pain of death, touch the proposed MMO, even with a 10ft pole!" option?

You may be not accused of being troll (if you really ain't one).

And my personal opinnion is: this

mcmanusaur

mcmanusaur

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 602 posts

You know perfectly well that P:E is about making a game that is no longer accepted by the publishers because it doesn't make the most money. Turning it into a money grabbing MMO is counter to this idea. :closed:

But is the community truly loyal to such ideals? My poll results indicate that in fact over 10% over the community are MMO-loving money-throwers, and I think this is something people should be concerned about. What if they bring along their MMO-loving friends, and all of a sudden we're outnumbered?
I mean, I understand that some people are upset about the poll options, but how else would I have drawn the MMO-lovers out of the woodwork beside giving them a little encouragement? If I hadn't done that, they'd have simply caved into peer pressure, and gone undetected!

Edited by mcmanusaur, 04 November 2012 - 06:32 AM.

gandalf.nho

gandalf.nho

Huntress of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Third option, No and No. I'm tired of interesting ideas being used only in MMOs
  • morhilane likes this

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3021 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
No.

It isn't like Obsidian will make PE into an MMO anyways. Between the costs and hostile reaction from the backers of the original PE, it isn't a feasible option, not to mention quite a few MMOs crash and burn(SWTOR anyone?).

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5075 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Another biased poll with answers deliberately worded to skew the responses. Meh.

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

Bridge Troll of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't know, guys... It's not that these harsh accusations aren't enough to make me rethink my core essence as a person, but there are obviously five people who would like to see a PE MMO, and I don't think that you should hate on me for giving this minority a voice. The poll options were simply meant as a sincere reassurance to Obsidian that we will support them in whatever they do, but I understand if some people are uncomfortable with that notion. Even more, the unfortunate reality of the gaming industry is such that it is the follow-up to a highly critically acclaimed title that makes the most money- the same goes for the music industry. Like it or not, I'm confronting real and difficult issues here, and while you may not appreciate the occasionally tongue-and-cheek nature of my presentation that shouldn't take away from the legitimacy of the issues. Now, I suppose I can tolerate some ad hominem attacks along the way in people voicing their obviously strong opinions on this matter, but I do ask that you keep that to a minimum. Thank you.

At any rate, I am positive that the members of this community would rather discuss matters such as this than hold discourse over concrete issues like game mechanics (as my mostly ignored thread on character traits and statistics indicates). I'm simply trying to do my best to give you all interesting but ultimately inconsequential things to talk about so that the risk of having to actually confront relevant things like lore or game mechanics is minimized.

You were able to play the prophet and the martyr cards at the same time. Well done.

mcmanusaur

mcmanusaur

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 602 posts
Hey, all I'm saying is that perhaps you should be looking at each other instead of gawking at me, as there's clearly a significant portion of this community that favors the MMO path, and I merely brought this to everyone's attention. All I can do now is recommend that we take caution; evidently no less than 10% among you are subversive MMO-lovers, and it scares me.

Edited by mcmanusaur, 04 November 2012 - 07:09 AM.

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
P:E with Multiplayer support? Yes that would be awesome but.. (look at Ieo's signature on page 1). The Adventurer's Hall would be an awesome Multiplayer Hub as well, where I could employ a character that someone else has made. Could the Adventurer's Hall be a sort of "Online Hub" (Not Multiplayer, per say)) and easily Upload/Download Characters?

P:E with MMO? No. I've had enough of grindfesting and enough of entering an area on my epic quest and seeing 400'ish players running around, derping, breaking the immersion that my party is the schpecial one.

Edited by Osvir, 04 November 2012 - 07:29 AM.

Pipyui

Pipyui

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Mcmanusaur may be trolling, but he hasn't been actively trying to insult people, so I'm ok with this. I've certainly been entertained by this thread so far.
Maybe PE shouldn't be a cRPG, but an MMO after all. :devil:
  • mcmanusaur likes this

Jasede

Jasede

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 323 posts
Have you never been trolled before? Let it go.
  • nikolokolus likes this

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Kickstarter Backer

The problem is that the proper meaning of Trolling has been lost. It used to be fairly clever, like this and the fat issues thread whereby folks didn't actually realise they'd been trolled (q.v. Bugaboo on the old Eric Noah 3E boards who was a twisted troll genius). Now it just means brain-dead or abusive posting.

* sigh *

Mcmanasaur has the aura of potential greatness about him as an old-skool troll but at the moment he's a diamond in the rough. One to watch.
  • Tigranes, Moirnelithe, Jasede and 2 others like this

Marceror

Marceror

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1444 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Mcmanasaur has the aura of potential greatness about him as an old-skool troll but at the moment he's a diamond in the rough. One to watch.

I'm sure he'll do much better in the Project Eternity 2 forum. For now he needs to eat his troll food, so he can grow big and strong, and more troll-like.
  • Monte Carlo, Moirnelithe and Joukehainen like this

argan

argan

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts
No. Just no.

Edit: Oh...I didn't even see who the OP was.

Edited by argan, 04 November 2012 - 10:06 AM.

Jasede

Jasede

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 323 posts

The problem is that the proper meaning of Trolling has been lost. It used to be fairly clever, like this and the fat issues thread whereby folks didn't actually realise they'd been trolled (q.v. Bugaboo on the old Eric Noah 3E boards who was a twisted troll genius). Now it just means brain-dead or abusive posting.

Well actually, in my experience here it means posting things people don't agree with.
:disguise:
  • Monte Carlo likes this

mcmanusaur

mcmanusaur

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 602 posts

I'm sure he'll do much better in the Project Eternity 2 forum.

So what you're saying is that you do eagerly anticipate a money-grabbing sequel, possibly in the form of an MMO?

Edited by mcmanusaur, 04 November 2012 - 10:08 AM.

• Monte Carlo likes this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10491 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
At Obsidian Entertainment, we believe in supporting and raising a future generation of community entertainers. If they're any good.
  • Monte Carlo and Moirnelithe like this

Marceror

Marceror

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1444 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm sure he'll do much better in the Project Eternity 2 forum.

So what you're saying is that you do eagerly anticipate a money-grabbing sequel, possibly in the form of an MMO?

Right....

I'll gladly throw money at a sequel, assuming that its MMO form stands for Minutely Multiplayer and Offline Roleplaying Game (sure, they can throw in some Baldur's Gate level multiplayer if they really, really, really want).

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

Bridge Troll of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Mcmanusaur may be trolling, but he hasn't been actively trying to insult people, so I'm ok with this. I've certainly been entertained by this thread so far.
Maybe PE shouldn't be a cRPG, but an MMO after all. :devil:

A weak troll uses ad hominem.
  • Pipyui likes this

BBMorti

BBMorti

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

* sigh *

If you find the trolling in this thread clever, then is says more about you than the meaning of the word. This troll is so obvious and ridiculous that the OP invites to be ridiculed.. hence he comes across as the type who thinks any type of attention is better than no attention. He is a perfect example of someone trying too hard, and some people expose themselves, further, by thinking this OP has made successful or clever trolling.
  • Joukehainen likes this

mcmanusaur

mcmanusaur

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 602 posts

If you find the trolling in this thread clever, then is says more about you than the meaning of the word. This troll is so obvious and ridiculous that the OP invites to be ridiculed.. hence he comes across as the type who thinks any type of attention is better than no attention. He is a perfect example of someone trying too hard, and some people expose themselves, further, by thinking this OP has made successful or clever trolling.

Okay, now it just sounds like I've really upset you. For the record, I was simply curious to see if any people here could be "tricked" into admitting they'd like a Project Eternity MMO if I framed the question favorably. I'm sorry you feel so strongly, but I really think you might be trying harder than me right now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project Eternity, sequel, MMO, MMORPG, Project Eternity Online

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users