Hello all,

I was motivated to post this because of unfair lack of left handed adventures and NPCs in RPGs. As a member of the left handed community, I find it offensive and rude on the parts of game developers that leave out the option to be left handed. It limits the realism and variety in combat and takes out any chance we will ever have at handedness quest lines. Considering all of the other requests that I have seen on this forum, you should find my request no less absurd. If a man can make a request for obesity, there is no reason that the fat man can't also be left handed. Considering the fact that you would most likely not even have the choice to be fat in a medieval society, what with severely limited food supplies and all, I think it is all the more reasonable to include left handedness.

Now I admit, this would be no small task for the game developers. I'm asking that a second set of animations get made for everything so that the 7-10% of left handed people can feel good about themselves and not ashamed of their disability. It takes a lot of bravery on my part to even bring this to your attention. I'm sure people will congratulate me heartily for it. If I had a dollar for every time people brought this lack of detail to my attention, I would still be a poor and dollarless man, but I think it should still receive some consideration. Personally, I can't wait to finally have handedness included in combat mechanics.

Your thoughts?

p.s. I'm as serious as an opera singing ostrich

• Like 1

Hello all,

I was motivated to post this because of unfair lack of left handed adventures and NPCs in RPGs. As a member of the left handed community, I find it offensive and rude on the parts of game developers that leave out the option to be left handed. It limits the realism and variety in combat and takes out any chance we will ever have at handedness quest lines. Considering all of the other requests that I have seen on this forum, you should find my request no less absurd. If a man can make a request for obesity, there is no reason that the fat man can't also be left handed. Considering the fact that you would most likely not even have the choice to be fat in a medieval society, what with severely limited food supplies and all, I think it is all the more reasonable to include left handedness.

Now I admit, this would be no small task for the game developers. I'm asking that a second set of animations get made for everything so that the 7-10% of left handed people can feel good about themselves and not ashamed of their disability. It takes a lot of bravery on my part to even bring this to your attention. I'm sure people will congratulate me heartily for it. If I had a dollar for every time people brought this lack of detail to my attention, I would still be a poor and dollarless man, but I think it should still receive some consideration. Personally, I can't wait to finally have handedness included in combat mechanics.

Your thoughts?

p.s. I'm as serious as an opera singing ostrich

It is majority stuff, and animation can be time consuming having to do 2 versions of everything.

To be honest I don't care, some are left-handed some are right-handed. I belong with the latter. I would like to have a left handed character too still, for variety if I have two Shield Close-Ranged and want to set them apart even further (and reason having one shielding the right side and one on the left side as a tactical choice). I think that being left-handed could even be looked upon in slight fear, many thought that people who were left-handed were possessed by the devil (once upon History, unless I'm getting History wrong of course). I'd like to have it as a dominant stat as well. Making a character dominant in one hand. A left-handed Fighter could perhaps be better at defending the party, using the shield more deftly than the right-handed, and using the sword like some sort of "offensive shield".

Edited by Osvir

I'll be honest, I'm still pissed that they made Link right-handed.

I didn't like how they did that either. Being left-handed was iconic for Link.

I completely agree with this topic. Left-handed characters need to be in this game. In fact, the social system should be structured around a person's dominant hand. Left-handers should be at the top. Ambidextrous people should be in the middle. And right-handers should be at the bottom. It mirrors real social systems as the majority of people are at the bottom, with a few at the top.

(Alternatively, I remember reading that in the past left-handed people were considered satanic. That would be a interesting detail if it was included, especially considering that gods are known to exist.)

Who the hell cares?

I'd rather game developers remembered about left-handed players and included fully customizable controls - mappable numeric keypad, among other things. It's astonishing how often games force us to use unnatural right-handed key bindings.

• Like 9

Who the hell cares?

I'd rather game developers remembered about left-handed players and included fully customizable controls - mappable numeric keypad, among other things. It's astonishing how often games force us to use unnatural right-handed key bindings.

I agree. I was very disappointed Skyrim didn't include a fully customizable set of controls. I use the numpad for all my keybindings, so it frustrates me to no end when a game doesn't allow me to use it.

Let's see... half the number of animations in order to allow left handed weapon wielding? Which to choose? Hmm...

Hard luck lefties. :bat: (<-- note the left-handed animation.)

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'll be honest, I'm still pissed that they made Link right-handed.

I'm with you on this one :yes:

I used to be a lefty but got "corrected". Suffice to say, I only write with my right hand, but for everything else, including the handling of weapons, I'm clearly more dexterous with my left hand. So kudos to OP for suggesting it. Not that I actually want the devs to spend time implementing it though....

• Like 1

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239

Oh, you rowdy rapscallion, you... well, you know what they say: Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

Yes, I'm just trying to have a bit of fun. I don't mean to be offensive or pick your thread out in particular. Glad to see you aren't upset.

Fun.... fun... Oh yes, that thing my doctor recommended I get a higher daily dosage of. And no, I would never get upset over something like this when it is so obvious that left-handed people are inferior demon spawn.

I was motivated to post this because of unfair lack of left handed adventures and NPCs in RPGs. As a member of the left handed community, I find it offensive and rude on the parts of game developers that leave out the option to be left handed.

Heh. I can't forget which game it was (maybe Eye of the Beholder or Dark Sun, it was a while ago), but due apparently to some dyslexia or cross-eyed developer issue, EVERYONE in the game was left-handed. I kid you not, the main hand weapon or shield ALWAYS went in the left hand. It was hilarious.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

Who the hell cares?

I'm pretty sure in one of the interviews someone mentioned that they should allow options to make the game workable for one handed people; so I'd be surprised if they tailored a set of controls for people with only one hand but had no options for left handed people.

There should also be left handed cross eyed fat characters with furry fetishes. Imagine the public outcry if those are left out.

My gut instinct tells me that you're not being serious, but I think that's a great idea!

Yes, you should totally write some letters or sit in front of the Obsidian building with a sign to promote it! Do it, do it right now!