If a Dragon Army arrived..

If its a reign of fire scenario I imagine real life me would either

A) Be BBQ'd

B) Run fall then become BBQ

C) Run, hide gain a false sense of security after a few days become BBQ

D) Hide, find other survivors and become part of a buffet for our Dragon overlords.

E) Almost magically join up with the last remnants of the military become their cook avoid all combat. Attempt to luck my way through.

F) Go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over... Wait that's for zombies

G) Let Christian Bale or Matthew McConaughey handle all the heavy lifting.

H) Confuse them with a logic puzzle. How can a Dragon and a Donkey breed?

Fantasy RPG version of me would tank it like a champion. Or become BBQ if I fail that pesky saving throw.

Edited by JayDGee
  • Like 1

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

If its a reign of fire scenario I imagine real life me would either

A) Be BBQ'd

B) Run fall then become BBQ

C) Run, hide gain a false sense of security after a few days become BBQ

D) Hide, find other survivors and become part of a buffet for our Dragon overlords.

E) Almost magically join up with the last remnants of the military become their cook avoid all combat. Attempt to luck my way through.

F) Go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over... Wait that's for zombies

G) Let Christian Bale or Matthew McConaughey handle all the heavy lifting.

H) Confuse them with a logic puzzle. How can a Dragon and a Donkey breed?

Fantasy RPG version of me would tank it like a champion. Or become BBQ if I fail that pesky saving throw.

Real life vs Fantasy life. I agree and I think it's a great point.

I'm curious about the "Indiana Jones Boulder" which you can't tank but you have to run away from it to survive "Event" type of thing (otherwise you're mashed potato).

I'd like to avoid dragons being in the game, myself. Too often they become a bit of a...mcguffin in terms of storytelling.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

What I recall from reading D&D books was that some dragons are highly intelligent. We sadly do not get to see this side in games, I'd like to be able to negotiate with a dragon. They can still be bosses, but with more than the standard long drawn out battle to deal with them.

This. I want to learn from a dragon's centuries of wisdom over tea and biscuits.

• Like 1

I hate the Idea of dragons being magical and intelligent. I always imagined dragons as being predators. I like the idea too to make the dragons behaviour similar to a magpie. This could be a great explanation why do they have such treasure in their caves. I would be glad to fight a dragon or a wyvern ! It would be awesome to be in a village do some quests and suddenly be attacked by a dragon ( not random it should be THE village which after staying awhile talking to ppl it would trigger a dragon which would burn most of the village down or atleast half ) Such a simple quest would be epic ! I would gladly hunt a dragon with some real dragon hunters with balistas and stuff ! THAT WOULD BE AWESOME !

is this about someone wanting to be a dragon :dragon: again?

No, wanting deep dragons with some deep personality and not just some "Deep Dungeon Boss #43".

I'm sorry but the japanese wouldn't know deep if it walked up and bit them in the...well you get the idea

I hate the Idea of dragons being magical and intelligent. I always imagined dragons as being predators. I like the idea too to make the dragons behaviour similar to a magpie. This could be a great explanation why do they have such treasure in their caves. I would be glad to fight a dragon or a wyvern ! It would be awesome to be in a village do some quests and suddenly be attacked by a dragon ( not random it should be THE village which after staying awhile talking to ppl it would trigger a dragon which would burn most of the village down or atleast half ) Such a simple quest would be epic ! I would gladly hunt a dragon with some real dragon hunters with balistas and stuff ! THAT WOULD BE AWESOME !

Predatory dragons are pretty common in fiction actually, at least in video games and movies(reign of fire, sucker punch, avatar, dark souls, lair, to name a few). My first and most iconic image of a dragon comes from reading the hobbit as a kid, and I wouldn't mind seeing a dragon like smaug, who is intelligent, but also a greedy jerk with an utter contempt for humanity. It wouldn't have to have magic, but I wouldn't mind if it could talk to you, ask you riddles and toy with you before you fought it,

Edited by jezz555

No, wanting deep dragons with some deep personality and not just some "Deep Dungeon Boss #43".

I'm sorry but the japanese wouldn't know deep if it walked up and bit them in the...well you get the idea

Predatory dragons are pretty common in fiction actually, at least in video games and movies(reign of fire, sucker punch, avatar, dark souls, lair, to name a few). My first and most iconic image of a dragon comes from reading the hobbit as a kid, and I wouldn't mind seeing a dragon like smaug, who is intelligent, but also a greedy jerk with an utter contempt for humanity. It wouldn't have to have magic, but I wouldn't mind if it could talk to you, ask you riddles and toy with you before you fought it,

Two things.

A, Godzilla

B, China = Dragons, unsure about Japan

C, The dragons in Odin Sphere are Smaug times 3 (because they are 3 intelligent seemingly Smaug inspired dragons).

EDIT: Okay maybe times 2.

Dragons are very iconic, and I think it is difficult to beat unless you create a vast back story for this "new ancient beast". Although Leviathan for Mass Effect 3 (I watched a Let's Play of it) manages to create a "Mythical" atmosphere akin to Dragons (I felt a "Lions" vibe from them too).

I did not like the Archdemon in "Dragon Age: Origins" at all, but I love Flemeth in Dragon Age 2. Hint: One of them handles Dragons correctly and intellectually the other is a drooling demon from hell.

Edited by Osvir

Two things.

A, Godzilla

B, China = Dragons, unsure about Japan

C, The dragons in Odin Sphere are Smaug times 3 (because they are 3 intelligent seemingly Smaug inspired dragons).

EDIT: Okay maybe times 2.

Dragons are very iconic, and I think it is difficult to beat unless you create a vast back story for this "new ancient beast". Although Leviathan for Mass Effect 3 (I watched a Let's Play of it) manages to create a "Mythical" atmosphere akin to Dragons (I felt a "Lions" vibe from them too).

I did not like the Archdemon in "Dragon Age: Origins" at all, but I love Flemeth in Dragon Age 2. Hint: One of them handles Dragons correctly and intellectually the other is a drooling demon from hell.

Flemeth was in DA:O...furthermore, how is Godzilla deep? Did I miss the extended directors cut where he waxes philosophical about the existential meaning behind the destruction of Tokyo and the battling of mecha king-ghidorah?

Also yes there are dragons in japanese mythology, and correct me if I'm wrong but this Odin Sphere is a Japanese game, no? Hence why I said Japan not China.

Dragons are awesome....

Ok, maybe Skyrim was like too many dragons.

No, it was too many dragons, not maybe.

But I'd love to have a single dragon in the game. Have him in some far away place where you could only find by listening to rumors and clues from townsfolk.

You get to him and he's intelligent and speaks to you.

I'd love to see some rich dialogue with the legendary beast, he could have an attitude of slight amusement, but it would quickly turn depending on your dialogue or actions.

He should, of course, have a treasure cache to guard as well.

Also yes there are dragons in japanese mythology, and correct me if I'm wrong but this Odin Sphere is a Japanese game, no? Hence why I said Japan not China.

Sorry, yeah I know I added China in there myself because I started thinking about Asia and dragon mythology.

Godzilla was a joke :p I was just defending the Japanese "don't know deep" thing ^^ Flemeth is in Dragon Age 2 as well.

• Like 1

I'm still up for the idea of dragons (or some other ancient, powerfull being), and I don't mind them being intelligent or otherwise. I tend to think, correct me if I'm mistaken, that the main reason everyone is sick of dragons is because they are never treated with the amount of power they deserve. I shouldn't be able to battle a dragon and defeat it, proving that dragons are little more than any other orc or mortal NPC, inferior to the strength of my PC. I find that unimaginative.

I'll submit again that I prefer my ancient, monsterous, and overall superior beings to be exactly that. I should be humbled by them, not vice-versa.

• Like 1

I would like a baby dragon companion.

Aside from that I want big dragons. Dragons that take up a map just for their body.

I mean doesn't the whole dragon companion thing sort of take away some of the mysticism behind the dragon? As much as it sounds like a novel concept I would prefer if the dragon was evil...and yeh freakin' huge.

Flemeth was in DA:O...

And in DA2 where her Dragon form kills a bunch of hurlocks (or whatever) and save Hawke and crew. It leads to the "I want to be a Dragon" dialogue option that is so often posted here.

furthermore, how is Godzilla deep? Did I miss the extended directors cut where he waxes philosophical about the existential meaning behind the destruction of Tokyo and the battling of mecha king-ghidorah?

Originally in the 1st movie Godzilla is a representation of the dangers of nuclear technology; the hero has to convince his friend to unleash an even more destructive force (the oxygen destroyer) to kill Godzilla. Lots of philosophical debates about the ethics of unleashing such a force on the world which is why the friend kills himself and Godzilla with his weapon, so that both terrors of science are eradicated because mankind will never be able to be trusted with such destructive force.

Once you get into the later series (battling mechagodzilla, ghidorah) Godzilla is a completely different take on the creature and the purpose of the films are different (instead of being a philosophical horror film / cautionary tale, its become an all ages adventure series with hero Godzilla fighting giant monsters and humans battling aliens).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Project Eternity does not need to be Skyrim, image-heavy OP.

Project Eternity is isometric, try looking back at the pictures in my original post and imagine it from an isometric view <3

We are lucky that P:E is isometric, this means that creatures, enemies and everything that opposes us can use much more ground to move and be more versatile and flexible (have more mobility). A Giant Anaconda could slither diagonally into us from the south whilst another is coming diagonally from the north. A Monkey Beast could perhaps harass us, jump in quickly and attack us only to dodge/leap a step backwards.

In Skyrim this mechanic (having more "living" enemies and monsters) is more of a difficulty because you've got control of your character from a "First Person" view.

I wasn't referring to game design or mechanics, I was referring to the "an army of dragons has returned after a thousand year absence this should be in PE!" idea, which has been used in both Dragon Age (to a lesser degree) and Skyrim (to the extreme.) It's trite, it's unoriginal, it's unnecessary. Obsidian has repeatedly talked about exploring mature themes, "derp here comes the evil dragons army" does not strike me as fitting that intention.

Project Eternity does not need to be Skyrim, image-heavy OP.

Project Eternity is isometric, try looking back at the pictures in my original post and imagine it from an isometric view <3

We are lucky that P:E is isometric, this means that creatures, enemies and everything that opposes us can use much more ground to move and be more versatile and flexible (have more mobility). A Giant Anaconda could slither diagonally into us from the south whilst another is coming diagonally from the north. A Monkey Beast could perhaps harass us, jump in quickly and attack us only to dodge/leap a step backwards.

In Skyrim this mechanic (having more "living" enemies and monsters) is more of a difficulty because you've got control of your character from a "First Person" view.

I wasn't referring to game design or mechanics, I was referring to the "an army of dragons has returned after a thousand year absence this should be in PE!" idea, which has been used in both Dragon Age (to a lesser degree) and Skyrim (to the extreme.) It's trite, it's unoriginal, it's unnecessary. Obsidian has repeatedly talked about exploring mature themes, "derp here comes the evil dragons army" does not strike me as fitting that intention.

I refer to my other post I made in this thread:

I'm curious about the "Indiana Jones Boulder" which you can't tank but you have to run away from it to survive "Event" type of thing (otherwise you're mashed potato).

"Dragons" is to lure attention to the thread, an "Event"/"Enemy" that you can't defeat or merely a new form of an Ancient Godlike Beast, is the "Topic".

Edited by Osvir

"Dragons" is to lure attention to the thread, an "Event"/"Enemy" that you can't defeat or merely a new form of an Ancient Godlike Beast, is the "Topic".

Could you elaborate on this? I'm not sure I get the intent of the thread after this post.

well.. how about..

no dragons at all?

and some other, strong, mystical and deep creatures, instead?

totally lore-based, too

just for a change?

But then how will you gain power to use your Thu'um?!?! :(

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Could you elaborate on this? I'm not sure I get the intent of the thread after this post.

? I'm just explaining my intent I had when I made the thread, I'd like to discuss more than just Dragons :)

* Dragons would be fun

* Something else than Dragons? An ancient beast?

This is what I really want to discuss (my intent), this is what we've discussed thus far:

* Should there be events that you can't defeat by any means because it is game mechanics?

E.G, you have to run away from your opponent because he/she/it is an immortal God, impervious to mortal damage (Gods of War makes the Gods in an amazing and mythical way, but versus game mechanics they are rather trivial)

* Ancient Creatures in the game that are neither hostile or friendly, True, True Neutral.

Adding this in too now:

* Puzzle Traps, really difficult areas; could they allow a nearby "Checkpoint"? (Some place you are bound to fail often and have to restart)

Edited by Osvir

Never was much of a fan of Dragons Lair.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

This is what I really want to discuss (my intent), this is what we've discussed thus far:

* Should there be events that you can't defeat by any means because it is game mechanics?

E.G, you have to run away from your opponent because he/she/it is an immortal God, impervious to mortal damage (Gods of War makes the Gods in an amazing and mythical way, but versus game mechanics they are rather trivial)

Review this thread: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61341-unwinnable-encounters/page__hl__unwinnable

• Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Flemeth was in DA:O...

And in DA2 where her Dragon form kills a bunch of hurlocks (or whatever) and save Hawke and crew. It leads to the "I want to be a Dragon" dialogue option that is so often posted here.

furthermore, how is Godzilla deep? Did I miss the extended directors cut where he waxes philosophical about the existential meaning behind the destruction of Tokyo and the battling of mecha king-ghidorah?

Originally in the 1st movie Godzilla is a representation of the dangers of nuclear technology; the hero has to convince his friend to unleash an even more destructive force (the oxygen destroyer) to kill Godzilla. Lots of philosophical debates about the ethics of unleashing such a force on the world which is why the friend kills himself and Godzilla with his weapon, so that both terrors of science are eradicated because mankind will never be able to be trusted with such destructive force.

Once you get into the later series (battling mechagodzilla, ghidorah) Godzilla is a completely different take on the creature and the purpose of the films are different (instead of being a philosophical horror film / cautionary tale, its become an all ages adventure series with hero Godzilla fighting giant monsters and humans battling aliens).

I didn't get very far in DA:2 but I guess I was confused because she's in DA:O as well.

I didn't know that about godzilla, I might look up the original if you recommend it, but I'm still not wholly convinced of its depth from what I know of it, and come on now you have to admit much of japanese fiction follows the line of goofy rubber suited monster spazzing out to a bunch of flashing lights, or anime which is typically almost worse. These are blanket statements of course, I like Battle Royale ect. but my perception of the game in question is that it's your typical JRPG which imo try to look deep, and fail miserably.

Edited by jezz555

Review this thread: http://forums.obsidi..._hl__unwinnable

Highlighting. Hadn't seen that poll before :) thanks