I just recently reinstalled NwN2, and I'm reminded of just how nice the automatic updater was for it and Neverwinter Nights Original Flavor. Please have an updater like this appended to the game if at all possible. Don't make us manually look up and install updates.

Also, kudos to Obsidian that it's still possible to automatically update their older games. Gj you guys. U R OSSUM.

• Like 4

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

Early IE games did this too, there was a dedicated "update" button before you launched the game. However, these update servers went down many years ago. An eventual problem with all games who offer such a feature. Games generally outlive their game studios.

The steam version will be automatically updated through steam, the question is how the GoG version will be updated.

Edited by mstark
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

KOTOR2's is down already.

Steam supercedes it use, leaving it just for GOG. And I don't think it's too much use for that, since GOG also automatically notifies of updates (unsure on installing though).

So, no longer useful in the modern gaming community, it appears to me...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

it seems for gog, they update the installer, (I could be wrong) but there aren't any patches for any of their games as you download the whole package again

now concerning PE, if they do the same system, it would be a massive burden for those that have limited bandwidth, especially if patches do come out fairly quickly, (there will always be a few patches) steam version will be fine, as it will auto update, but I think for the gog version, they should offer patches along with the game installer, but as there won't be any DRM attached, then maybe OE could offer these patches? or some gaming site? I'm still not sure which version of the game I'm going for, so would be good to have some ideas on how the GOG version (patches) will be handled,

With larger games, GOG tend to update the installer *and* have patches available. So when you download the installer, you get the latest version but you don't have to redownload the whole thing. With smaller games they tend to not bother with patches and just update the installer.

I'm with PsychoBlonde on this one. The NWN1 updater was wonderfully convenient and made keeping my game up to date as simple a a couple of points and clicks. Anything that eliminates frustration and drudge work, thus giving me more time for roleplaying, is a very good thing in my book.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I like an autoupdater, but I can't be the only one who isn't bothered by the thought of having to download patches manually? Maybe I've just gotten so used to mod management for Bethesda games that unzipping archives doesn't bother me anymore, I in fact enjoy the control I get from this. And checking the website for a new patch when I feel one is due is hardly an inconvience for me.

Autoupdaters only ever work correctly half the time anyways.

On the other hand, I suppose if you have a large game library (not me), autoupdating is fantastic.

So in the end, I guess I've contributed nothing to this conversation. It's okay, I'll let myself out.

• Like 1

Yes the NWN2 updater is nice, but it's also reassuring that there is a downloadable patching system as an alternative. I've used the latter several times and it worked fine, but some stronger reassurances from the publisher would have been welcome.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Early IE games did this too, there was a dedicated "update" button before you launched the game. However, these update servers went down many years ago. An eventual problem with all games who offer such a feature. Games generally outlive their game studios.

The steam version will be automatically updated through steam, the question is how the GoG version will be updated.

GoG get's their own updates and notifies you when one is available for a game you own. You still have to go to GoG, access your games library, then download it yourself. If you run the GoG installer (I don't) you might be able to get an auto install option there. In all honesty it isn't very inconvenient and is pretty easy even when you do it manually.

• Like 1

with the witcher 2, gog had an updater program. you downloaded it, clicked on it and it automatically updated the gog version of the game with the latest patch and dlc (free dlc ftw). with older games they simply do not need separate patch files since they are all included in the installer.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Oh god no. I hated that updater, it would constantly bug out and you'd have to dl the whole thing from the beginning again. Ughghgh

I seem to recall getting stuck in a situation with NWN2 where the autoupdate would fail and it wouldn't recognize the manually downloaded update once you went that route.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I've been fiddling with Stalker mods lately, some of them, only works on a particular version of the game. You can't go back to a previous patch on Steam can you, or keep two versions of the same game? Sincere question.

I'm not a fan of any autoupdate in any of my software and proceed to completely disable them forthwith, or tell my firewall to block it; I don't have that many games, but I have a vast collection of utilities, productivity software, and whatever. Zero tolerance for constantly calling home.

I would not mind a stepped feature:

* Full autoupdate upon game launch

* Manual check-and-update with internal button

* Auto check and download but manual installation

* Discrete manual patches (external)

Even Microsoft has something like that.

I do foresee issues with autoupdating and mods, so players must be able to disable any internal autoupdate functionality.

• Like 2

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Does anybody tolerate autoupdate daemons? We shall have no such thing here. :yucky: (I couldn't find the "kill it with fire" emoticon)

I think the issue here is that people want an autoupdate feature, and some of us prefer manually patching. I don't think many would argue that an update button in a menu or launcher is a bad idea, I think we'd just prefer the game didn't update itself without prompt from / prompting the user.

• Like 1

Oh god no. I hated that updater, it would constantly bug out and you'd have to dl the whole thing from the beginning again. Ughghgh

I seem to recall getting stuck in a situation with NWN2 where the autoupdate would fail and it wouldn't recognize the manually downloaded update once you went that route.

Yeah the NWN updater was completely broke. The concept was cool but it wasn't functional. I remember having to send my friends certain files just so the update can proceed with the update.

I just recently reinstalled NwN2, and I'm reminded of just how nice the automatic updater was for it and Neverwinter Nights Original Flavor. Please have an updater like this appended to the game if at all possible. Don't make us manually look up and install updates.

Are you somekind of Apple idolizer or what?

"Nice" & "Automatic" are words for Apple users. Do it manually, do it with style. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

for those who do not know it, if you right click a game on the steam library and go to properties you can disable autoupdate for that game. and from the settings you can simply disable it for all games. the feature existed since the first day steam came out so i dont see the problem... it doesnt force you to update if you dont want to.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.