Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[merged] Sui Generis Kickstarter

kick starter rpg

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

AwesomeOcelot

AwesomeOcelot

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1327 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

At least they've actually shown some animations..that puts them way ahead of many kickstarters right from the word go...tell me how are the project eternity animations looking?

It's not like the people developing Project Eternity are responsible for the entire top 5 greatest RPGs ever made. There's no reason to trust that they can make a good RPG.

I know that, I just dont get people slagging the animations on a pre alpha, that happens to be one of the most impressive on kickstarter, when most projects don't even have anything to show

Most projects on Kickstarter I've seen, and certainly nearly all the ones I've backed, come from developers who have proven themselves. Project Giana and Grim Dawn, from developers I don't know, showed gameplay that was compelling, the lack of it in respect to the other parts of the game is a serious concern. The only project I've backed where either experience or gameplay is not there is probably Shadowrun Returns, although the team members have credentials in terms of paper RPG and game development.

It's concerning that the priority wasn't gameplay systems, when there's so much stuff that's more beta quality than pre alpha. And it's not just that the animations are bad, they're designed to be physics led, which will give you these problems regardless of having an animator. In terms of demos of games that have been on kickstarter, this game has been one of the least impressive, because games are about gameplay.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot, 25 November 2012 - 08:36 AM.

brabl

brabl

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
i understand your point, but dont agree. There are some Games out there like dwarf Fortress, which have an amazing gameplay, but awfull graphics. For most people a PC game should also have great graphics and it would also great to have great physics in a game which is to be a low fantasy game.
Gameplay for me is described to a satisfying level on the updates.

Btw there are also new samples of writing: http://www.kickstart...is/posts/355939

if you even have read the comments of Devs on KS and their forum, you would see that their take on gameplay is very sophisticated. they are not only tech freaks.

Edited by brabl, 26 November 2012 - 03:01 PM.

Theobeau

Theobeau

A Madman with a Box of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
The engine truly looks lovely and I liked the idea that this was all the result of hard work by a small team in the UK without prior industry experience.

As someone who had a a few pounds (equivalent) spare, I was happy to pledge and support their project.

However agree with many of the posters here that in terms of Bare Mettle's KS drive important things such as providing more game world context; a small sense of the plot; non-combat cRPG mechanics and importantly, marketing the project were all initially lacking.

For what its worth, the team seem to have realised this with a late push of updates and possibly more media exposure. Shame that they left it so (relatively late) as it may not be enough to tip them over the line.

Let's see what happens over the next few days :skeptical:

Bill Gates' Son

Bill Gates' Son

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
Probably one of the most interesting kickstarters I've seen yet, mainly because they actually showed gameplay. As a game programmer myself, I'm impressed with what they did with only 5 people. The games look great, and the physics engine is incredible. This proves you can make a great looking game even with limited funding. m

I'm more interested in the modding capabilities. From what I read on the forums, it going to have module system similar to NWN, where people can run there own server and make their own campaigns.

Edited by Bill Gates' Son, 27 November 2012 - 04:08 PM.

mieu

mieu

Lich Battlemage of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • Steam:Mieu
  • Xbox Gamertag:MoogleMieu
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
http://www.kickstart...863/sui-generis

Looks great just needs a final push :)

mebe OE can licence the engine in future if it makes it

AGX-17

AGX-17

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1735 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well, if they'd set their goal 10k lower they would actually have succeeded.

BlackrazorNZ

BlackrazorNZ

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Funded... Major surge over the last few days :) Looking forward to watching where the development goes.

Bill Gates' Son

Bill Gates' Son

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts

And they succeeded :D Major props to who the guy who posted th Sui Geneis link in Total Biscuit's project eternity interview video. The helped some. Not to mention tweets from people like Brian Fargo.

Edited by Bill Gates' Son, 29 November 2012 - 07:17 PM.

AGX-17

AGX-17

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1735 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

And they succeeded :D Major props to who the guy who posted th Sui Geneis link in Total Biscuit's project eternity interview video. The helped some. Not to mention tweets from people like Brian Fargo.

Surprise upset. :p

Theobeau

Theobeau

A Madman with a Box of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
As an early backer of this project, great to see that it managed to (just) squeeze over the threshold to get funded. In the end, a close run thing.

As an even earlier backer of PE, I was chuffed to see that OBS seemed to have made a (probable) sizeable contribution to the late push.

Kudos to Obsidian (and Brian Fargo) for following up on their stated commitment to support other game designers on Kickstarter!

:thumbsup:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kick, starter, rpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users