Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[merged] Sui Generis Kickstarter

kick starter rpg

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1897 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
It's impressive that the guy has written this engine himself but I'm not seeing anything that promises to bring something new to RPGs :shrugz:

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10654 posts
No idea if the game is going to be good or not, but the engine itself looks interesting. What we *haven't* seen is how it handles hordes of actors on screen plus AI to control them. I would get wet dreams at the thought of a turn based JA2 running on an engine like that.

anubite

anubite

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
I don't know. The whole appeal seems to be real-time combat, I don't see how JA2 would be great for an engine like that - though I'd love to see a proper JA3 get made.

This kickstarter is interesting - I like the tech. But without much of a game plan, it's hard to support the developers. I mean, Obsidian scarcely gave us anything, but they could ride on their reputation that they'd have a game worth making. Sui Generis has a cool engine, but from the alpha combat... it seems like they don't really know what kind of RPG it will be. It seems like an ARPG, but those kinds of RPGs tend to be on the shallow-side of RPG mechanics, at least, they're more about finding items, than actually roleplaying a character.

This is the problem with most video game kickstarters. They give you some good information, but usually not enough to render a verdict. Obsidian didn't give us enough concrete facts up front and had to scramble in updates to elaborate. These guys give us a neat engine, but don't elaborate on the game systems that control your roleplaying experience.

AwesomeOcelot

AwesomeOcelot

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1327 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
You can have the best tech in the world, but that doesn't make a good game. It's higher fidelity and more realistic than Torchlight 2 or Grim Dawn, but then those two games didn't aim for realism. Terrain looks incredible, and content creation for it looks extremely easy, they went for realism and nailed it. The lighting, physics, rain, seasons, day/night, not unique technology but it's definitely on par with the best I've seen in isometric games. Animation because of the nature of the physics looks terrible, and the combat while modelling impact better than any isometric game I've seen, looks clunky and not fun. Basically what they've shown is impressive but they haven't shown anything that would make a game worth playing, gameplay systems are what make games worth my time.

sunburnedpenguin

sunburnedpenguin

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I am not a giant fan of real-time combat and would love if this game employed turn-based combat or gave the ability to pause during fighting to allow for issuing commands (parry, dodge, lunge, chop, thrust, etc.) rather than being a clickfest. That said, the graphics are gorgeous, and the plot and concept unique enough that I would risk carpel tunnel to play it. :)

brabl

brabl

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

This kickstarter is interesting - I like the tech. But without much of a game plan, it's hard to support the developers.....

You can have the best tech in the world, but that doesn't make a good game. I......

i cant believe this, is KS not something about supporting developers, creators which cannot get funded otherwise?
So why not support them with at least 10 bucks (yes 10!!! bucks, )
They showed great potential, but all i read is "great tech". But they should show us the finished Game", then i will see if i wanna fund them.
So why should they use Kickstarter anyway.
pffft.

AwesomeOcelot

AwesomeOcelot

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1327 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Spoiler

i cant believe this, is KS not something about supporting developers, creators which cannot get funded otherwise?
So why not support them with at least 10 bucks (yes 10!!! bucks, )
They showed great potential, but all i read is "great tech". But they should show us the finished Game", then i will see if i wanna fund them.
So why should they use Kickstarter anyway.
pffft.

Actually it's 15.9 bucks. Also, not I don't want them to show a finished game. Good game developers prototype gameplay above other things, sometimes they use board games if they're RPG developers, sometimes they create basic levels without proper animation or 3D models, sometimes they instance everything in an engine through the command line. From the little gameplay they showed, it looked bad. Other game developers on KickStarter showed good gameplay, others are from known developers who have made good games in the past. Bare Mettle Entertainment didn't show any potential in terms of gameplay, let alone great, if all your interested in is the graphics or the physics, well good for you, don't criticize me for wanting gameplay.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot, 11 November 2012 - 03:18 PM.

brabl

brabl

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
ok, sorry for criticizing
it seemed to me like someone has build a bare brickwork on his own and now want to get a loan for finishing that house, but the bank only says hmm
i dont see how you can make the interior by yourself. You showed no potential in this.

btw: they have a forum, where you can find answers for your questions regarding the gameplay. They stated also, that it will be inspirated by Ultima, which is good in my eyes.

Edited by brabl, 12 November 2012 - 02:55 PM.

XenoReaper

XenoReaper

Vault Dweller of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 21 posts
Bare Mettle looks like it has the right base to work off of. Looking at the updates, they seem reluctant to speak of the story much since exploring the world's overarching history and plot is a major point of the game, and they don't want to reveal anything that could spoil something.

I will support them regardless of what the gameplay looks like- I agree that they should have done more than a tech demo, but if they can generate tech like that, well, they have the drive to see this through. Hopefully the gameplay will stand up to the tech, but if it doesn't, they can make enough to fund a second, better game in the long run. I'm gonna donate not just to support the game... but to support the developers themselves. Madoc Evans alone has shown he has the ambition to do something... let's hope that it ends up as something truly great.
  • brabl likes this

XenoReaper

XenoReaper

Vault Dweller of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 21 posts
And even if the Kickstarter campaign falls through, you just *know* they would make a decent sum by licensing their engine. Amazing what one guy (and a few friends) can cook up in a year's time.

sunburnedpenguin

sunburnedpenguin

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
What's surprising to me is that they've gone silent on their Kickstarter page. They continue to respond to forum posts, and they've updated their FAQ, but there's nothing to continue to spur interest in the project. Great engine, great vision, but poor marketing.

Guilhem

Guilhem

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
In all fairness, Bare Mettle is a developer with 5 people on staff, only 3 of whom actually do design work. Add to this the fact that they apparently live a fair distance from one other and that they all have real-life jobs beyond this hobby project and the shortcomings of their Kickstarter campaign becomes more understandable.

Have they made mistakes? Absolutely. The fundraiser did not really seem to be organized at all from a publicity/marketing perspective at the time of its inception. Early on, the developer was also very resistant to spelling out their vision of gameplay and plot and reacted poorly to criticism.

They have adapted, even if they can only do so within the real world limitations imposed on them by time and staffing.

Given what we currently know of the type of game Sui Generis is likely to be, I can understand the hesitancy of gamers who are primarily interested in deep narratives and intricate character advancement systems to support a project that has revealed so little in either of these areas. I must agree with Brabl , however, that in many ways Kickstarter is a leap of faith. And so, even as I have significant reservations about various aspects of Sui Generis, I support it based on the technical profficiency, gaming philosophy, and intelligence exhibited by the developer.

Ironically, Bare Mettle has shown far more of what their game is going to be than the vast majority of game projects on Kickstarter. They may be an unknown studio, but I think Bare Mettle has exhibited more than enough creative talent and development ideas to justify support of their Kickstarter campaign.

brabl

brabl

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
They just posted a new update plus vid about the combat
http://www.kickstart...i-generis/posts

its getting better and better in my eyes, considering its only "pre pre alpha"

brabl

brabl

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
new update with screens on the inventory system, items, equipment
http://www.kickstart...is/posts/355023

hurry up only 5 days left.

Edited by brabl, 23 November 2012 - 03:11 PM.

Kaldurenik

Kaldurenik

Demilich of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Well... sadly i have not seen much proof of a good "game" its more like the tech is the main thing sadly. It looks nice overall with a few things that are very clunky.
No one swing weapons like that... Not even a untrained person would swing weapons like the characters do. It loks like they are swinging giant hammers with like 10+kg weight at the head randomly around them well except he can stop "mid swing" that makes the combat look very strange.

brabl

brabl

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

Well... sadly i have not seen much proof of a good "game" its more like the tech is the main thing sadly. It looks nice overall with a few things that are very clunky.
No one swing weapons like that... Not even a untrained person would swing weapons like the characters do. It loks like they are swinging giant hammers with like 10+kg weight at the head randomly around them well except he can stop "mid swing" that makes the combat look very strange.

the animations are not finally tweaked, so they stated that their first goal is to hire a professional animator, so that they could tweak the char animations for a more natural look.

motorizer

motorizer

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
At least they've actually shown some animations..that puts them way ahead of many kickstarters right from the word go...tell me how are the project eternity animations looking?

anubite

anubite

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 488 posts
They showed more than Obsidian, that's for sure. But they completely failed to market this game.

And yes, we get it - 5 employees. Cool, but, see... if you're going to do a kickstarter, you need to get like 100 energy drinks, you need to make provocative interviews with media, you need to show tech and you need to promise, promise, promise. Even if you can't deliver. Ask for apologies later, down the road.

They didn't market their product and they'll be lucky to stumble over the finish line in 5 days. In their shoes, I would have made 10 really profound interviews about RPGs, ARPGs, etc. whatever, said that they're being casualified and I'm going to stop that with my game! And see, that creates controversy and interest.

They got very defensive in a few updates too - no need for that at all. I think that really hurt them. You need to be offensive when you run out the gate with a KS.

Edited by anubite, 24 November 2012 - 03:13 PM.

AwesomeOcelot

AwesomeOcelot

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1327 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

At least they've actually shown some animations..that puts them way ahead of many kickstarters right from the word go...tell me how are the project eternity animations looking?

It's not like the people developing Project Eternity are responsible for the entire top 5 greatest RPGs ever made. There's no reason to trust that they can make a good RPG.

motorizer

motorizer

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's not like the people developing Project Eternity are responsible for the entire top 5 greatest RPGs ever made. There's no reason to trust that they can make a good RPG.

I know that, I just dont get people slagging the animations on a pre alpha, that happens to be one of the most impressive on kickstarter, when most projects don't even have anything to show

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kick, starter, rpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users