[merged] Sui Generis Kickstarter

JayDGee

Here is a Kickstarter that judging by its comments is being backed by a lot of the same people that backed eternity.

http://www.kickstart...863/sui-generis

I advise you keep watching till it gets to the actual game. The first half of his pitch I found slightly off, but the game itself backs him up well.

EDIT looks like they updated the pitch video so the game is shown quicker.

Edited by JayDGee

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

After a 2 minute look, looks interesting, and $10 is certainly a low entry-point. I'll return to it again soon.

After a 2 minute look, looks interesting, and $10 is certainly a low entry-point. I'll return to it again soon.

I think if it gets the right publicity it could easily meet its target.

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

Looks interesting, but overamitious. They promise a lot of things, but I don't know if they can deliver. Once I get that feeling for a kickstarter, I stay away from it. That doesn't mean I'm unintrested, but I'll wait for the release.

Looks interesting, but overamitious. They promise a lot of things, but I don't know if they can deliver. Once I get that feeling for a kickstarter, I stay away from it. That doesn't mean I'm unintrested, but I'll wait for the release.

I agree it seems over ambitious but they also seem to have accomplished a fair amount already.

I'm in for the £10 its all I can afford with Christmas around the corner. Spent too much on the PE kick starter.

If nothing else, that's a mighty impressive tech demo. My concern is that all the tech in the world does not necessarily create interesting worlds and characters. Still, that technology is pretty sweet.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Overambitious or not, it's still getting my money. That a sole programmer working alone could come up with that fluid and workable development environment and engine, is amazing. That fight versus the ogre was amazing, love the way that getting clobbered by a Morningstar actually looks like it hurts, for once.

Overambitious or not, it's still getting my money. That a sole programmer working alone could come up with that fluid and workable development environment and engine, is amazing. That fight versus the ogre was amazing, love the way that getting clobbered by a Morningstar actually looks like it hurts, for once.

That's the bit that got me to donate

If nothing else, that's a mighty impressive tech demo. My concern is that all the tech in the world does not necessarily create interesting worlds and characters. Still, that technology is pretty sweet.

That's how I came away feeling after watching the video. I do like their stated goals about the game/gameplay hopes, but that's always an iffy thing. Seems like they have more of a handle on the tech they want to use/make vs. the gameplay they want to create, at this point. But I'll come back to it later too. They're not asking for tons for entry or final goal, and that video sure is impressive. Well, except that the character looks a bit doofy while running. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Some of the animations need work. I mean, if they were going for a peasant thrust into a warrior's role without any fight training, thats what he looks like.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

OE should license that engine for a future project.

Wait at least to see if it works well across a range of machines, if it actually accomplishes its goals outside of a KS pitch, etc. before making these claims? Going by what these forums think, Obsidian should have licensed a dozen engines for their future projects. Going by their past track record, it actually didn't work all that well.

Obsidian has Onyx, why would they license anything?

For the same reason they are not using Onyx for Project Eternity? :)

Right tool for the right job and all that.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

IIRC they use Unity because with it they have an easier time making PE for other platforms. The only reason right now (granted, I haven't watched the whole pitch video, so I maybe have missed something) for them to use this one is drunken master physics and pretty lights.

IIRC they use Unity because with it they have an easier time making PE for other platforms. The only reason right now (granted, I haven't watched the whole pitch video, so I maybe have missed something) for them to use this one is drunken master physics and pretty lights.

That, and the price (royalties) they have to pay to all the middleware license holders that is contained within Onyx. Matters less when it's publisher funded, since Obsidian presumably gets a fixed price for their project, any margins per unit and units shifted is the publishers problem. When they are effectively "self publishing", the profit per each suddenly matters.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

No idea if the game is going to be good or not, but the engine itself looks interesting. What we *haven't* seen is how it handles hordes of actors on screen plus AI to control them. I would get wet dreams at the thought of a turn based JA2 running on an engine like that.

I don't know. The whole appeal seems to be real-time combat, I don't see how JA2 would be great for an engine like that - though I'd love to see a proper JA3 get made.

This kickstarter is interesting - I like the tech. But without much of a game plan, it's hard to support the developers. I mean, Obsidian scarcely gave us anything, but they could ride on their reputation that they'd have a game worth making. Sui Generis has a cool engine, but from the alpha combat... it seems like they don't really know what kind of RPG it will be. It seems like an ARPG, but those kinds of RPGs tend to be on the shallow-side of RPG mechanics, at least, they're more about finding items, than actually roleplaying a character.

This is the problem with most video game kickstarters. They give you some good information, but usually not enough to render a verdict. Obsidian didn't give us enough concrete facts up front and had to scramble in updates to elaborate. These guys give us a neat engine, but don't elaborate on the game systems that control your roleplaying experience.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

You can have the best tech in the world, but that doesn't make a good game. It's higher fidelity and more realistic than Torchlight 2 or Grim Dawn, but then those two games didn't aim for realism. Terrain looks incredible, and content creation for it looks extremely easy, they went for realism and nailed it. The lighting, physics, rain, seasons, day/night, not unique technology but it's definitely on par with the best I've seen in isometric games. Animation because of the nature of the physics looks terrible, and the combat while modelling impact better than any isometric game I've seen, looks clunky and not fun. Basically what they've shown is impressive but they haven't shown anything that would make a game worth playing, gameplay systems are what make games worth my time.

I am not a giant fan of real-time combat and would love if this game employed turn-based combat or gave the ability to pause during fighting to allow for issuing commands (parry, dodge, lunge, chop, thrust, etc.) rather than being a clickfest. That said, the graphics are gorgeous, and the plot and concept unique enough that I would risk carpel tunnel to play it. :)