[merged] Sui Generis Kickstarter

JayDGee

This kickstarter is interesting - I like the tech. But without much of a game plan, it's hard to support the developers.....

You can have the best tech in the world, but that doesn't make a good game. I......

i cant believe this, is KS not something about supporting developers, creators which cannot get funded otherwise?

So why not support them with at least 10 bucks (yes 10!!! bucks, )

They showed great potential, but all i read is "great tech". But they should show us the finished Game", then i will see if i wanna fund them.

So why should they use Kickstarter anyway.

pffft.

This kickstarter is interesting - I like the tech. But without much of a game plan, it's hard to support the developers.....

You can have the best tech in the world, but that doesn't make a good game. I......

i cant believe this, is KS not something about supporting developers, creators which cannot get funded otherwise?

So why not support them with at least 10 bucks (yes 10!!! bucks, )

They showed great potential, but all i read is "great tech". But they should show us the finished Game", then i will see if i wanna fund them.

So why should they use Kickstarter anyway.

pffft.

Actually it's 15.9 bucks. Also, not I don't want them to show a finished game. Good game developers prototype gameplay above other things, sometimes they use board games if they're RPG developers, sometimes they create basic levels without proper animation or 3D models, sometimes they instance everything in an engine through the command line. From the little gameplay they showed, it looked bad. Other game developers on KickStarter showed good gameplay, others are from known developers who have made good games in the past. Bare Mettle Entertainment didn't show any potential in terms of gameplay, let alone great, if all your interested in is the graphics or the physics, well good for you, don't criticize me for wanting gameplay.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

ok, sorry for criticizing

it seemed to me like someone has build a bare brickwork on his own and now want to get a loan for finishing that house, but the bank only says hmm

i dont see how you can make the interior by yourself. You showed no potential in this.

btw: they have a forum, where you can find answers for your questions regarding the gameplay. They stated also, that it will be inspirated by Ultima, which is good in my eyes.

Edited by brabl

Bare Mettle looks like it has the right base to work off of. Looking at the updates, they seem reluctant to speak of the story much since exploring the world's overarching history and plot is a major point of the game, and they don't want to reveal anything that could spoil something.

I will support them regardless of what the gameplay looks like- I agree that they should have done more than a tech demo, but if they can generate tech like that, well, they have the drive to see this through. Hopefully the gameplay will stand up to the tech, but if it doesn't, they can make enough to fund a second, better game in the long run. I'm gonna donate not just to support the game... but to support the developers themselves. Madoc Evans alone has shown he has the ambition to do something... let's hope that it ends up as something truly great.

• Like 1
vaultdweller.jpg

In all fairness, Bare Mettle is a developer with 5 people on staff, only 3 of whom actually do design work. Add to this the fact that they apparently live a fair distance from one other and that they all have real-life jobs beyond this hobby project and the shortcomings of their Kickstarter campaign becomes more understandable.

Have they made mistakes? Absolutely. The fundraiser did not really seem to be organized at all from a publicity/marketing perspective at the time of its inception. Early on, the developer was also very resistant to spelling out their vision of gameplay and plot and reacted poorly to criticism.

They have adapted, even if they can only do so within the real world limitations imposed on them by time and staffing.

Given what we currently know of the type of game Sui Generis is likely to be, I can understand the hesitancy of gamers who are primarily interested in deep narratives and intricate character advancement systems to support a project that has revealed so little in either of these areas. I must agree with Brabl , however, that in many ways Kickstarter is a leap of faith. And so, even as I have significant reservations about various aspects of Sui Generis, I support it based on the technical profficiency, gaming philosophy, and intelligence exhibited by the developer.

Ironically, Bare Mettle has shown far more of what their game is going to be than the vast majority of game projects on Kickstarter. They may be an unknown studio, but I think Bare Mettle has exhibited more than enough creative talent and development ideas to justify support of their Kickstarter campaign.

Well... sadly i have not seen much proof of a good "game" its more like the tech is the main thing sadly. It looks nice overall with a few things that are very clunky.

No one swing weapons like that... Not even a untrained person would swing weapons like the characters do. It loks like they are swinging giant hammers with like 10+kg weight at the head randomly around them well except he can stop "mid swing" that makes the combat look very strange.

Well... sadly i have not seen much proof of a good "game" its more like the tech is the main thing sadly. It looks nice overall with a few things that are very clunky.

No one swing weapons like that... Not even a untrained person would swing weapons like the characters do. It loks like they are swinging giant hammers with like 10+kg weight at the head randomly around them well except he can stop "mid swing" that makes the combat look very strange.

the animations are not finally tweaked, so they stated that their first goal is to hire a professional animator, so that they could tweak the char animations for a more natural look.

They showed more than Obsidian, that's for sure. But they completely failed to market this game.

And yes, we get it - 5 employees. Cool, but, see... if you're going to do a kickstarter, you need to get like 100 energy drinks, you need to make provocative interviews with media, you need to show tech and you need to promise, promise, promise. Even if you can't deliver. Ask for apologies later, down the road.

They didn't market their product and they'll be lucky to stumble over the finish line in 5 days. In their shoes, I would have made 10 really profound interviews about RPGs, ARPGs, etc. whatever, said that they're being casualified and I'm going to stop that with my game! And see, that creates controversy and interest.

They got very defensive in a few updates too - no need for that at all. I think that really hurt them. You need to be offensive when you run out the gate with a KS.

Edited by anubite

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

At least they've actually shown some animations..that puts them way ahead of many kickstarters right from the word go...tell me how are the project eternity animations looking?

It's not like the people developing Project Eternity are responsible for the entire top 5 greatest RPGs ever made. There's no reason to trust that they can make a good RPG.

At least they've actually shown some animations..that puts them way ahead of many kickstarters right from the word go...tell me how are the project eternity animations looking?

It's not like the people developing Project Eternity are responsible for the entire top 5 greatest RPGs ever made. There's no reason to trust that they can make a good RPG.

I know that, I just dont get people slagging the animations on a pre alpha, that happens to be one of the most impressive on kickstarter, when most projects don't even have anything to show

I know that, I just dont get people slagging the animations on a pre alpha, that happens to be one of the most impressive on kickstarter, when most projects don't even have anything to show

Most projects on Kickstarter I've seen, and certainly nearly all the ones I've backed, come from developers who have proven themselves. Project Giana and Grim Dawn, from developers I don't know, showed gameplay that was compelling, the lack of it in respect to the other parts of the game is a serious concern. The only project I've backed where either experience or gameplay is not there is probably Shadowrun Returns, although the team members have credentials in terms of paper RPG and game development.

It's concerning that the priority wasn't gameplay systems, when there's so much stuff that's more beta quality than pre alpha. And it's not just that the animations are bad, they're designed to be physics led, which will give you these problems regardless of having an animator. In terms of demos of games that have been on kickstarter, this game has been one of the least impressive, because games are about gameplay.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

i understand your point, but dont agree. There are some Games out there like dwarf Fortress, which have an amazing gameplay, but awfull graphics. For most people a PC game should also have great graphics and it would also great to have great physics in a game which is to be a low fantasy game.

Gameplay for me is described to a satisfying level on the updates.

Btw there are also new samples of writing: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1473965863/sui-generis/posts/355939

if you even have read the comments of Devs on KS and their forum, you would see that their take on gameplay is very sophisticated. they are not only tech freaks.

Edited by brabl

The engine truly looks lovely and I liked the idea that this was all the result of hard work by a small team in the UK without prior industry experience.

As someone who had a a few pounds (equivalent) spare, I was happy to pledge and support their project.

However agree with many of the posters here that in terms of Bare Mettle's KS drive important things such as providing more game world context; a small sense of the plot; non-combat cRPG mechanics and importantly, marketing the project were all initially lacking.

For what its worth, the team seem to have realised this with a late push of updates and possibly more media exposure. Shame that they left it so (relatively late) as it may not be enough to tip them over the line.

Let's see what happens over the next few days :skeptical:

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

Probably one of the most interesting kickstarters I've seen yet, mainly because they actually showed gameplay. As a game programmer myself, I'm impressed with what they did with only 5 people. The games look great, and the physics engine is incredible. This proves you can make a great looking game even with limited funding. m

I'm more interested in the modding capabilities. From what I read on the forums, it going to have module system similar to NWN, where people can run there own server and make their own campaigns.

Edited by Bill Gates' Son

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1473965863/sui-generis

Looks great just needs a final push :)

mebe OE can licence the engine in future if it makes it

Battlemage of The Obsidian Order|WoOS's|AoUA|BoSB & Knight of the Lily
51f51855-1d80-4893-b580-1894e7e77c20_zps

Currently playing Torment:Tides of Numenera & Reading Neverwinter Saga Gauntlgrym

Well, if they'd set their goal 10k lower they would actually have succeeded.

And they succeeded :D Major props to who the guy who posted th Sui Geneis link in Total Biscuit's project eternity interview video. The helped some. Not to mention tweets from people like Brian Fargo.

Edited by Bill Gates' Son

Well, if they'd set their goal 10k lower they would actually have succeeded.

And they succeeded :D Major props to who the guy who posted th Sui Geneis link in Total Biscuit's project eternity interview video. The helped some. Not to mention tweets from people like Brian Fargo.

Surprise upset. :p

As an early backer of this project, great to see that it managed to (just) squeeze over the threshold to get funded. In the end, a close run thing.

As an even earlier backer of PE, I was chuffed to see that OBS seemed to have made a (probable) sizeable contribution to the late push.

Kudos to Obsidian (and Brian Fargo) for following up on their stated commitment to support other game designers on Kickstarter!

:thumbsup:

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg