Fat acceptance in Project Eternity

Fat people should also get a HP bonus for their extra bulk, and be extra resistant to critical hits.

Fact.

They should also float on water, making it possible to cross rivers with your party sitting on top of the largest member of the group.
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

I get the sense the OP is a member of the anti chainmail bikini crowd. If "realism" is really at all important, characters who travel the country by foot and fight all day long should be pretty goddam fit.

As a member of the anti-chainmail bikini crowd...please don't lump us in with people with ridiculous PC agendas backed up with feel good pseudoscience.

• Like 2

Maybe they could have specific enemies, for instance when approaching the sea they could be assaulted by peaceful Druids trying to roll them into the waves, or angry one legged sailors weilding harpoons when they have naval adventures?

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Dude... you have a modern look at the fat people... Get into some medieval cultural aspects, which had a bit different view on this...

They had different views because then, a luxurious sedentary lifestyle was an all but unimaginable dream for the majority of people. Fat was a sign of being well off, and not having to work hard. Now, that's the norm, and having the time/money to buy healthy food and work out is a sign of success. So while some fat may have been considered attractive, that was exactly because it was not seen on the kind folks we're likely to be playing as in PE. Also, obesity was associated with gluttony and laziness practically since the beginning of time. When people say that fat was attractive, they're talking about slightly chubby sculptures and paintings, not what modern Americans consider "fat".

I get the sense the OP is a member of the anti chainmail bikini crowd. If "realism" is really at all important, characters who travel the country by foot and fight all day long should be pretty goddam fit.

Actually I think the OP is against realistic armor for females.

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Yeah I get that it's a troll thread, but just thought I'd throw this out there: Lord of the Rings Online did this pretty well, if you select a hobbit PC the sliders controll fatness.

Cuz you know, hobbits are rotund. Thought it was pretty cool.

Edited by Joukehainen

Fat people should also get a HP bonus for their extra bulk, and be extra resistant to critical hits.

Fact.

But they get minus Sta, Dex, and Cha (unless the NPC has the "Chubby Chaser" feat)

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Fact.

What if you run into a dungeon with a really narrow door ... the other characters might have to kick and push him to get him inside ... either that or he might get stuck in the only entrance and the characters who rushed in ahead of him will slowly starve to death :p

The party will simply have to lube him/her up with lard, a d20 roll will be required for success, rolling a crit failure will be amusing.

I wouldn't mind if they got those bonuses btw, but they should have a penalty to AC (easier to hit) and take a dex penalty as well.

• Like 1

As a sideline venture they can pursue a career as a bouncy castle?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Fact.

What if you run into a dungeon with a really narrow door ... the other characters might have to kick and push him to get him inside ... either that or he might get stuck in the only entrance and the characters who rushed in ahead of him will slowly starve to death :p

The party will simply have to lube him/her up with lard, a d20 roll will be required for success, rolling a crit failure will be amusing.

I wouldn't mind if they got those bonuses btw, but they should have a penalty to AC (easier to hit) and take a dex penalty as well.

Hmmm ... I wonder which store will sell that valuable item ... either that or I finally found a use for that +1 Chain-mail of slipperiness :biggrin:

• Like 1

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” ― Robert E. Howard

:)

To Obsidian Entertainment and whomever else it concerns,

As a fat ally, I am very much concerned about how body image will be portrayed in your upcoming title Project Eternity. Too often cRPGs equate obesity to gluttony and reinforce stereotypes that associate traditionally unattractive qualities with evil. This reliance on hackneyed tropes both demonstrates a lack of narrative depth and ultimately castigates loyal fans. Human bodies come in many different shapes and sizes, and I'd like the character creation process to reflect this fortunate reality. Perhaps PE could even provide social commentary on these serious issues by having one of the companions experience body image issues throughout the campaign. At any rate, I think that acceptance of fat lifestyles has been understated at best in previous Obsidian releases and I sincerely hope that this oversight is addressed for the future. I'm also very hopeful that the other members of this wonderful community will join me in proclaiming this forum to be fat-friendly. In summary, a cRPG that promotes a healthy body image is something for which I've been waiting an eternity, and Project Eternity could be that game.

-mcmanusaur, Fat Ambassador

Uh, is this like, supposed to be a parody of a BSN thread or something?

One recent survey by a Washington-based researcher concluded that Americans were far more willing to participate in cannibalism then they have in the past hundred years. America is a nation that will not suffer abominations lightly.

It's not that bad.

Tea for the teapot!

Fact.

Hmmm ... I wonder which store will sell that valuable item ... either that or I finally found a use for that +1 Chain-mail of slipperiness :biggrin:

Or.... We could just give an old classic a secondary purpose =)

grease.jpg

• Like 1

"Healthy body image" is a relative concept. Someone who's 300 lbs overweight could be perfectly health in theory. The concept of being overweight is one of averages and statistics. What matters in the end is your heart rate, your blood pressure, the stress your body is under, and your general overall hapiness with yourself and your body. If you're overweight and your body is biologically fine with that weight - and you don't mind the way you look and feel physically, then what's the problem? You're healthy.

The key term is healthy - which implies a 'successful adaptation to the environment'. Someone who is as skinny as a rail could be completely healthy too.

So, yes, I'd like to see, at least if not in PE, then in an 'ideal RPG or fantasy setting', a wide varety of bodytypes. I'd like to see characters that are healthy when we might think they are very unhealthy, and characters who seem very healthy, but just aren't at all. Such contrasts are interesting and inviting. Too often, creators of these things latch onto familiar concepts and ideas - mass media has made us ready to accept anorexia, but not obesity. Why? Exploring such a thing can be interesting.

But having a "happy well-adjusted fat man" as a character, let alone as a romanceable character, just for the sake of having a fat well-adjusted guy, is silly and self-defeating. And it's what's grating about most PC threads or wants. We don't want "political correctness" - we want actual correctness. We want things that emulate life as it truly is, if not directly, then in an indrect, artsy way.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

But having a "happy well-adjusted fat man" as a character, let alone as a romanceable character, just for the sake of having a fat well-adjusted guy, is silly and self-defeating. And it's what's grating about most PC threads or wants.

I think it's diversity that people want, not some silly agenda carried over to video games. Especially in fantasy settings where archetypes are all you often get.

Our fat party followers will need some help to get around

Mmmm, bet you ladies out there can't wait to tongue the Tootsie Roll of lint out of the navel of this hunk of burning love... :yucky:

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I'm trying to remember, but I swear there's a RPG - maybe it's a jRPG - where you get a hideous, fat female party member. And over the course of the story, you can change her into an 'attractive model-type'. Which I think is a pretty fun thing in theory - you'd have this character you could antagonize about their weight and appearence, only for them to change towards the end of the story and hate you for it. But at the same time, it does feel kind of creepy/weird.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go: