Fat acceptance in Project Eternity

To Obsidian Entertainment and whomever else it concerns,

As a fat ally, I am very much concerned about how body image will be portrayed in your upcoming title Project Eternity. Too often cRPGs equate obesity to gluttony and reinforce stereotypes that associate traditionally unattractive qualities with evil. This reliance on hackneyed tropes both demonstrates a lack of narrative depth and ultimately castigates loyal fans. Human bodies come in many different shapes and sizes, and I'd like the character creation process to reflect this fortunate reality. Perhaps PE could even provide social commentary on these serious issues by having one of the companions experience body image issues throughout the campaign. At any rate, I think that acceptance of fat lifestyles has been understated at best in previous Obsidian releases and I sincerely hope that this oversight is addressed for the future. I'm also very hopeful that the other members of this wonderful community will join me in proclaiming this forum to be fat-friendly. In summary, a cRPG that promotes a healthy body image is something for which I've been waiting an eternity, and Project Eternity could be that game.

-mcmanusaur, Fat Ambassador

Edited by mcmanusaur

I hope your topic will be viewed with wide acceptance.

I do think people need to learn a large amount of tolerance and it's never too late to start.

Anyway, a big shout-out to you, mcmanusaur.

Huge kudos!

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :alienani: / :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Edited by Jasede
  • Like 12

Meh... possibly Fat as associated with Wealth with extreme fat as associate with Excess of Wealth. ...just the way things were during the time period. ...but then again some of this area from what I understand is frontier land so.. not so much fat people.. maybe some big viking-ish type people.. but not fat as just purely fat.

Speaking as a stout Englishman I agree with the OP. Fattism is rife in CRPGs.

When you make a 'big' character he just gets... muscled and stuff.

When you go into taverns there are no low-alcohol or low carb options.

When you go into stores there are no XXL armour sizes.

When you meet elves they are all anorexic. I know a fat Elf. A really fat Elf.

And what about body dysmorphic dwarves? Heh?

Where's Anita Whatshername, the shouty girl, when you need her? Dammit, I'm off to form a pressure group, or maybe an ironic cultural studies type Kickstarter about fat video game characters.

• Like 7

sonsofgygax.JPG

When you meet elves they are all anorexic. I know a fat Elf. A really fat Elf.

You know Santa Claus?

Don't try and marginalise large friendly men from Boreal regions with a propensity towards delivering gifts during Winterval.

Who are you, Mussolini or something?

sonsofgygax.JPG

Winthrop is awesome :D imagine him as an adventurer companion? Or even an evil aristocratic Wizard nobleman companion. Casting spells in a nonchalant manner due to his power and size of soul.

"Humanity is Humanity". But instead of cryptic philosophy back to the sense of this thread, I'd like to see "Fat Acceptance" too (I'm slim).

The Era P:E is said to be set in, historically fat people were revered as nobility and men and women with cash and money. It was looked up upon, and men and women could be fat just to climb their "stature" on the society ladder (even if they didn't have cash). I don't have a source unfortunately, but something my History teacher told me in early grad school during class.

Edited by Osvir

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but there's a logical reason as to why the hero is quite often not a big guy or gal.

It's because he/she is the hero! When you're fighting the forces of evil everyday, you would need to eat A METRIC TON to put on weight at all. Not to mention the fact that it would be pretty impractical if the whole party had to stop every few minutes because the main character has no cardio what so ever. I don't mind NPCs that are large and I certainly don't think every character has to be a supermodel, but the main character as a fat person would just be nonsensical. This isn't a question of acceptance, I'm fat myself. This is just a matter of common sense.

Also, what? Healthy body image? Being overweight is not healthy, doesn't matter how you spin the issue. This whole "everyone's a princess" mentality is getting on my nerves.

Edited by The Nexus
  • Like 14

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but there's a logical reason as to why the hero is quite often not a big guy or gal.

It's because he/she is the hero!

Hugo in Lost is a hero :) I didn't read any more by the way, sorry for the context.

Everyone is a hero. Again we're getting into that cryptic philosophical fluff hmm 8)

EDIT: Reading your post I can see a Friar Tuck companion, a cleric or chanter that aids the party who is larger. It would immerse me into the world so much more. In Baldur's Gate every character looks fairly similar, even if I have different armors. In an Isometric type of game it might even benefit your eyes to distinguish your character further if you have a larger-beltsize Fighter.

Gragas in League of Legends :) <3 I play Janna and anyone playing Gragas is always my friend because it is such an awesome combo.

Edited by Osvir

It's because he/she is the hero!

Hugo in Lost is a hero :) I didn't read any more by the way, sorry for the context.

Hugo isn't what I'd call a hero. Still one of the best characters in the show though.

• Like 1

This thread puts my ageism thread to shame :( Now we're going to have 20 year-old fat guys in the game, but no 70 year-old skinny guys. What's the deal?

• Like 3

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html