Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Character inspiration for hte devs?

character template fun

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

jezz555

jezz555

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 379 posts

I'd love to have a Companion (temporary or permanent) that's just horribly weak, a rebellious commoner fighting "The Man" (Occupy reference kind of). One of the "sheep" who isn't a Hero with any special abilities, might be a decent Blacksmith at the Stronghold, but in your party he is rather worthless.

I loved it in Suikoden that you could bring your Blacksmith with you, or your Cook, to fight in your party. They had some special abilities but were rather pointless and not really necessary for the progression of the game (they were important for your Stronghold). But I still brought my Chef with me because I thought it nice (Roleplaying-ly) to have a Chef with me. Not so much Character Inspiration perhaps, or perhaps it is I don't know... ^would be fun imo

so...you're advocating for useless party members?

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Useless? No, not entirely. Just weaker than your average Superhero.

Do I think it could be fun imo? Yes, (and repeat).

Why are you replying to this? For some reason I don't think it's out of interest for the idea... not a counter-argument either... so what do you want?

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1287 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I know I've already made a suggested, but an Orlan based on Tyrion Lannister would be fun too.

Ywerion

Ywerion

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 83 posts
Thogh I already post a suggestion aswell, I just must point out one more character (not sure if he wasn't mentioned already) and that is Ashur from Spartacus series. Probably the single most entertaining character I could relate the most (before he took over too much level in evil). To put it shortly not only was he brilliantly casted and even better acted, he went through several appereance changes (rare thing if you ask me),but most of all he was helluva proven survivalist who not matter in which position he was at he always found his way up and benefits from doing so, all thanks to his wits, on top of that he knew how to exact revenge on those wronged him and boy he did it in tremendous style, while in the same time he still hold on his one single dream he desired the most, which added even more flavour to his character. For me Ashur was the most interesting antagonist I have seen of late.

Edited by Ywerion, 12 January 2013 - 04:30 AM.

Cryticus

Cryticus

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 119 posts
Personally I love characters that follow classical cliqe and padagrims, but put them in some interesting spin( as long as spin is interesting , and isn't just there to make everything GRIMDARK, and ultra special cool realstic[I love cheese and some ridiculenss]). That said characters like that can be rather tricky to make.
On another note I would like to have an guy that is aliange in something that is consider evil but he himself don't find it evil, and most importantly he isn't evil basicly an example: You have a Industrial town, near forest, and a nice good guy, who helps orphans, and so one and who wants to cut forest to give job for thouse who don't have it, and have no ulterior motives.
Also what would be nice is a one ( and I mean it 1, more then that and it doesn't really work) simple character, just average asparing evil lord,or good knight he is evil/good he thousen't have anything deep and secret no reasons he just do things because, but as I said only one , and not really tied to main quest.

Malevolent

Malevolent

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
One of the thing I'm tired of is companions who blubber all over you. Yes, they have problems, and I know and respect that. And for some companions, it's in character to blubber, or be indecisive to some extent. But as a whole, I feel that being of the adventuring suicide-journeying sort means that you're of a hardier stock. Having a companion that can state what's wrong with them without constantly going to you for your opinion and for validation would be nice. Points if they decide to do a romance where the characters aren't complete needy angst machines.
  • JFSOCC likes this

Faerunner

Faerunner

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 287 posts
I like characters that subvert stereotypes. Stock characters and classic archetypes might be functional for RPG settings, and even practical for some or most minor NPC's that won't be around for long, but major characters that go against expected behavior are more noticeable, memorable, feel more well-rounded and feel the most like believable people.

TRX850

TRX850

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

How about an NPC Vampyre Hunter (Priest or Rogue) with their own mid-level quest that ends with them becoming an infected vampyre or half-vampyre? And depending on how you've played the game, they may become hostile to you, or protective of you as long as you protect them from various undead hunter factions?

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5588 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

That first picture is lovely, TRX850! However, I'd much rather be hunted by him, than be him! :getlost:

So, please let me be some weird necromancer that is in league with some sinister coven of undead (as long as they are not like those vampires in the movie Underworld - Rise of the Lycans.

• TRX850 likes this

TRX850

TRX850

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

That first picture is lovely, TRX850! However, I'd much rather be hunted by him, than be him! :getlost:

So, please let me be some weird necromancer that is in league with some sinister coven of undead (as long as they are not like those vampires in the movie Underworld - Rise of the Lycans.

Heh heh. I was including something for everyone there.  But yes, a faction of "misunderstood" worshippers of the dead could be a great adventure hook. Reminds me of Grimgnaw from NWN1.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: character, template, fun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users